cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
Well, after more research than I care to admit and changing my mind a dozen times, I pulled the trigger and ordered the Ktuner V2.0 with the Phearable Stage 1.5 Tune for my 2020 Si. Not the one with "God Mode" as that is, ummmm, not my style at all. Anyway, since my car is 100% stock power wise and just had it's first oil/fiter changed at the dealership 2 days ago so it's broken in now, I think it would be cool to do 4 dyno pulls with this car - 100% bone stock, flash to Map 1, switch to Map 2, and finally Map 3.

To truly get a 100% stock baseline and not just the Ktuner 'base map' here is my idea:

1) Use a friends PC (I'm a 100% Apple computer/tablet/phone home) to do the initial registration for the Ktuner and upload the Phearable tune to the Ktuner V2 itself.

2) Have the car dyne'ed bone stock and after that first pull, plug in the Ktuner and lock it to the car and then switch to Map 1, do a pull. Switch to Map 2, do a pull. Switch to Map 3, do a pull.

Any pitfalls I'm missing with this method? This is my first Ktuner device so I"m going off of what I read here and various YouTube videos on how to flash the car.

Honda Civic 10th gen Joined the Phearable Stage 1.5 Club, need helping planning a dyno CD266BF7-05BF-4FA5-B369-014EAABFB6C0_1_201_a
Sponsored

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Isn't the 1.5 the one with GOD mode? And the stage 1 is without? I'd love to see the results though!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You can't do what you're suggesting in #2 and get an accurate readout on the tuned pull. I understand what you want to do but it won't work.

When you first upload a tune, knock control will be at .59 and stay there for a bit. That higher k.c. will pull timing a bit and reduce power.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Isn't the 1.5 the one with GOD mode? And the stage 1 is without? I'd love to see the results though!
No, I thought that initially too.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You can't do what you're suggesting in #2 and get an accurate readout on the tuned pull. I understand what you want to do but it won't work.

When you first upload a tune, knock control will be at .59 and stay there for a bit. That higher k.c. will pull timing a bit and reduce power.
Well, crap......... Oh well, I guess I'll just assume an average of what most of the Dynojets are showing these cars to do totally stock and then just do the three maps after I've already uploaded it and driven it around for a little while.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Dyno stock. Upload Phearable and drive around for about 30 until the K.Cont is a solid 0.49. Drive back to dyno. Make sure temps are approximately the same as stock, do a pull in Map 1. Let car cool off and repeat through the other maps.

After completion, flash to stock, drive around until K.Cont back down to 0.49 and re-baseline.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dyno stock. Upload Phearable and drive around for about 30 until the K.Cont is a solid 0.49. Drive back to dyno. Make sure temps are approximately the same as stock, do a pull in Map 1. Let car cool off and repeat through the other maps.

After completion, flash to stock, drive around until K.Cont back down to 0.49 and re-baseline.
The thought process here is correct, but I would recommend simply driving on the dyno and not actually taking it off. Getting down to .49 from .59 is very easy to do while on a dyno. Even if you were coming from .90 it is still easier to do on the dyno than unstrapping it, etc.

To get accurate and comparable results it is key that you start from your lowest knock control level for each pull, even stock. Assuming you are using 93 octane .49 should be no trouble at all.

I will also say that doing 4 pulls correctly is going to take a long time. You may be better off just testing stock, map 2, and map 3.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Dyno would actually be perfect. You can load up to a psi or so and that would drop K.Cont pretty quick.

Fuels trims take longer but not as influential as ignition timing.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I run Shell 93 octane since I picked it up last December, so that won't be a problem.

Luckily with the V2 I should be able to monitor fuel trim and knock control directly from that screen, right?

I plan to drive this car almost exclusively in Map 1 or 2. It may be a good idea for me to do a pull or two completely stock one day and then go back another day once I've had time to go back home, flash the tune, and drive around with it a bit to make sure everything is good. Then, go back the next day so hopefully the weather is pretty darn close and do 3 pulls, one on each map with enough time for each one to go back to a 0.49 knock count.

If anyone is familiar with a dyno in the Atlanta area, I'm open to listening.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've yet to try the Phearable tune in either map 2 or 3 - I've only run map 1 since I installed it and it is plenty IMO.
I know Map 3 is probably silly good but I just feel Map 1 and maybe Map 2 are best for daily driving with the occasional pull on an on-ramp.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Luckily with the V2 I should be able to monitor fuel trim and knock control directly from that screen, right?
Yep, one of the layouts allows you to put 11 different monitors on the screen. That's the one I use. I like to watch the knock control, knock count, short term and long term fuel trims, and AFR.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yep, one of the layouts allows you to put 11 different monitors on the screen. That's the one I use. I like to watch the knock control, knock count, short term and long term fuel trims, and AFR.
I know it's all subjective but how would you describe the feeling of going from bone stock to flashing on Map 1 for daily driving?
Sponsored