arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thought I would jump into the fray here. I've had my 2020 Si Sedan now for a couple of months and recently flashed the car with KTuner v1.2 - purchased it from TSP and got the Stage 1 maps at N/C of course. Overall impression, Holy Balls!!!! Huge difference and I could not be happier.

I drive on Map 2 mostly, between normal and Sport....plenty of power especially from 3500 rpm or so - pulls so much harder than stock. Overall the car just drives so much better. Love the on-the-fly map switching and I leave the KTuner disconnected so that it resets to Map 1 on the next start-up. I like that feature in case my wife ever takes the car, it's somewhat neutered.

The car only has about 1600 miles on it so I'm not overly concerned about the clutch (yet) - I never romp on it in higher gears or below 3500 rpm..... I'm very careful to roll into the boost in those cases.....

I have no other mods and honestly, I don't feel that I need anything more from the motor with this tune. Famous last words I know. No plans to do anything to the exhaust.....been down the drone road too many times in the past and the gain just isn't worth it to me at my age. And for all the shit people talk about the HDMI port look, it really doesn't bother me so all good.

Thinking about springs and some different wheels and tires down the road and that's about it. I think Honda did a great job on the car right out of the gate.

Anyway, love reading other people's experiences and it's nice to be a part of the KTuner/TSP club.

Cheers
I've had a ktuner v1.2 and TSP stage 1 tune sitting around for the past couple months. Waiting on my 27won intake to be delivered so I can install and flash at the same time!

After reading your post, I had some questions. You mentioned you leave your ktuner unplugged so that it reverts to map 1, but I read that on-the-fly map switching only works if you leave the ktuner plugged in. So on the next start up, how can you change back to map 2 or 3 if your unit is unplugged? Do you just carry your ktuner around so your wife can't use map 2 or 3? And then plug it in anytime you want to switch to map 2 or 3?
Sponsored

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Thought I would jump into the fray here. I've had my 2020 Si Sedan now for a couple of months and recently flashed the car with KTuner v1.2 - purchased it from TSP and got the Stage 1 maps at N/C of course. Overall impression, Holy Balls!!!! Huge difference and I could not be happier.

I drive on Map 2 mostly, between normal and Sport....plenty of power especially from 3500 rpm or so - pulls so much harder than stock. Overall the car just drives so much better. Love the on-the-fly map switching and I leave the KTuner disconnected so that it resets to Map 1 on the next start-up. I like that feature in case my wife ever takes the car, it's somewhat neutered.

The car only has about 1600 miles on it so I'm not overly concerned about the clutch (yet) - I never romp on it in higher gears or below 3500 rpm..... I'm very careful to roll into the boost in those cases.....

I have no other mods and honestly, I don't feel that I need anything more from the motor with this tune. Famous last words I know. No plans to do anything to the exhaust.....been down the drone road too many times in the past and the gain just isn't worth it to me at my age. And for all the shit people talk about the HDMI port look, it really doesn't bother me so all good.

Thinking about springs and some different wheels and tires down the road and that's about it. I think Honda did a great job on the car right out of the gate.

Anyway, love reading other people's experiences and it's nice to be a part of the KTuner/TSP club.

Cheers
Really the only performance mod you should consider is a Performance Intercooler from a reputable company like Mishimoto or PRL. It's not going to dramatically increase performance or give you more HP, it's basically going to cool down the charged air helping prevent heat soak. As far as suspension, unless you are considering lowering, this suspension is tuned pretty well. Possibly a sway bar if you are going to track your car. Next week I am going to be installing F-Sport sway bars, as well as stiffer lower control arm bushings on my IS350 (I was able to get them cheap thanks to the pandemic)

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've had a ktuner v1.2 and TSP stage 1 tune sitting around for the past couple months. Waiting on my 27won intake to be delivered so I can install and flash at the same time!

After reading your post, I had some questions. You mentioned you leave your ktuner unplugged so that it reverts to map 1, but I read that on-the-fly map switching only works if you leave the ktuner plugged in. So on the next start up, how can you change back to map 2 or 3 if your unit is unplugged? Do you just carry your ktuner around so your wife can't use map 2 or 3? And then plug it in anytime you want to switch to map 2 or 3?
If you don't have the Ktuner plugged in (I would recommend not keeping it plugged in), you just switch maps manually using the cruise control button. It literally takes about 5 seconds

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't have the Ktuner plugged in (I would recommend not keeping it plugged in), you just switch maps manually using the cruise control button. It literally takes about 5 seconds
Ok, so on-the-fly map switching does work with the unit being unplugged?

But it will always revert to Map 1 if you shut the car off without the tuner plugged in?

I haven't tuned yet, but I feel like I'd always want Map 3 on and make the "sport" button feel like it's actually doing something lol. So if I'd always want Map 3 on, would I always need to leave the ktuner plugged in? From TSP's website, it seems like on-the-fly map switching only saves your tune selection at vehicle shutdown/startup if you have the ktuner plugged in.

SilverArrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5 T. Sport
Country flag
First question, yes

Second question, yes

Third question, no. You can use map 3 with or without the ktuner plugged in.
Without the ktuner plugged in, when you turn on your Civic you must set map 3 using the cruise control button.

likewater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

Nope, Ktuner unplugged, cruise off.... hold the cancel button for 2 seconds and you're in map switch mode. Then press the resume button to go from map 1 to 2 then again to get to map 3. Press the set button to go the other direction. Selections are displayed on the tach, 1K map 1, 2K map 2, 3K map 3. Press cancel again for 2 seconds to lock the selected map which stays where you leave it until you either go back into map switch mode again (this can be done while driving) or turn off the car.

likewater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Really the only performance mod you should consider is a Performance Intercooler from a reputable company like Mishimoto or PRL. It's not going to dramatically increase performance or give you more HP, it's basically going to cool down the charged air helping prevent heat soak. As far as suspension, unless you are considering lowering, this suspension is tuned pretty well. Possibly a sway bar if you are going to track your car. Next week I am going to be installing F-Sport sway bars, as well as stiffer lower control arm bushings on my IS350 (I was able to get them cheap thanks to the pandemic)
Thanks, yeah I've considered the PRL intercooler, to keep heat soak at bay, especially since it gets to 110+ here in the summer.

And yeah springs to get her a little lower for sure and then some lower offset wheels as well. I like the adaptive dampers so no coil overs for me. Probably will never track her.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Probably asked before so apologies in advance. Total noob to Ktuner. Will it work with my 2018 EXT and then can I move it to a 2020 Si? I can wait to get it if that makes more sense. Thanks.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Yes you can... 100%

The device isn't vehicle specific. The different tunes are in the software.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Probably asked before so apologies in advance. Total noob to Ktuner. Will it work with my 2018 EXT and then can I move it to a 2020 Si? I can wait to get it if that makes more sense. Thanks.
You will have to unlock the Ktuner first from the ECU by reflashing the vehicle it's locked to back to stock, then you will have to lock it to the ECU of the new vehicle

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Yes you can... 100%

The device isn't vehicle specific. The different tunes are in the software.
So I could buy the device from anyone, but the tunes are vehicle specific, correct? Would I have to contact/purchase the tunes from kTuner/TSP after buying a second-hand ktuner?

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I could buy the device from anyone, but the tunes are vehicle specific, correct? Would I have to contact/purchase the tunes from kTuner/TSP after buying a second-hand ktuner?
If buying a used Ktuner, make sure that it has been unlocked by having the seller send you a screenshot. I know that if it comes TSP's stage 1 tune, the tune is locked to the Ktuner and not the car's ECU, so you will be able to install that tune. I sold my Ktuner last year to someone on this forum, and I sent them the tune file as well. If they did buy it bundled with TSP's stage 1 tune, have them send you the tune file as well so you save $70

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If buying a used Ktuner, make sure that it has been unlocked by having the seller send you a screenshot. I know that if it comes TSP's stage 1 tune, the tune is locked to the Ktuner and not the car's ECU, so you will be able to install that tune. I sold my Ktuner last year to someone on this forum, and I sent them the tune file as well. If they did buy it bundled with TSP's stage 1 tune, have them send you the tune file as well so you save $70
But would that only work if they had the appropriate TSP tune for my Si and model year? I see a lot of non-Si ktuners for sale but am under the impression their stage 1 tune would not work on my car.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
But would that only work if they had the appropriate TSP tune for my Si and model year? I see a lot of non-Si ktuners for sale but am under the impression their stage 1 tune would not work on my car.
I bought a used ktuner from a member who had the TSP Stage 1 tune file for a '17-18 Si. TSP sent a new file for my 2019 Si for $15. It has to be requested by the original owner of that S/N Ktuner.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My answer was based on you buying a Ktuner from an Si owner. @arpypat solution works also should you buy it from a non Si owner
Sponsored