newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
Me: Honey, look at these new great car mats I got for your Pilot. They are really nice!
Wife: Wow, they look SO cool! And they cover everything. And they have a neat logo I can see here. Thank you so much!
Me: So, happy early Mother's Day present!
Wife: Ah, that's so sweet! What do you want for Father's day?
Me: Well I was thinking about getting a part for my car.
Wife: That would be great, go ahead and get it.
Me: Love you, honey.

................ ordered my KTuner yesterday. :dance:
Sponsored

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Me: Honey, look at these new great car mats I got for your Pilot. They are really nice!
Wife: Wow, they look SO cool! And they cover everything. And they have a neat logo I can see here. Thank you so much!
Me: So, happy early Mother's Day present!
Wife: Ah, that's so sweet! What do you want for Father's day?
Me: Well I was thinking about getting a part for my car.
Wife: That would be great, go ahead and get it.
Me: Love you, honey.

................ ordered my KTuner yesterday. :dance:
Ha ha ha that is awesome!

angry_lime

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After doing a lot of reading on this thread, I finally caved and purchased a Ktuner. Uploading the tune was pretty easy, but getting Tunerview to work with the head unit took a bit of work. Totally worth it though

Honda Civic 10th gen Joined the KTuner world IMG_1531

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for your business!

More details on the tune can be found here:

182whp / 206tq - Factory Calibration
208whp / 258tq - KTuner Starter 23psi
237whp / 281tq - TSP Stage 1 Tune

All testing was completed on a stock 2017 Civic Si running 93 octane fuel. Tune features include:

• Numerous fuel, ignition, turbo response, throttle response changes.
  • WOT shifting enabled.
  • Adjustable launch control enabled.
  • "Rev hang" disabled with standard throttle padding. (the end user can enable "rev hang", if desired)
  • All disables / monitors are able to be adjusted by the end user.
  • Quick Boost By Gear is able to be adjusted by the end user.
  • On-the-fly boost map switching active for normal and "Sport" modes. (see below)
Map 1: Factory boost levels and turbocharger response.
Map 2: 19psi normal, 21psi "Sport" mode, Improved Turbocharger Response II
Map 3: 19psi normal, 24.5psi "Sport" mode, Improved Turbocharger Response II
OK, so I'm clearly over thinking this quite possibly. I hooked up the KTuner, registered, etc. No problems. I had downloaded the TSP file and have ready to use. I thought I would upload the KTUNER STARTER 23PSI as shown above. This is the STARTER tune I thought others have mentioned here as well. I thought after proving that I knew what I was doing, I would THEN load the TSP file.

But, after loading the KTuner and clicking the NEW FILE button, all I see is one file: FACTORY 5AM MT Base Calibration. I was expecting to see at least 2 files: Base / Factory File in case I need to revert to original. AND, a Base KTuner file, mentioned in the chart above (KTuner Starter 23psi).

So, I'm confused. I shut down and decided to come back to the well here before I do something stupid.

HOW does the back up / recovery file get generated or where does it come from?
Does the KTuner come with the unit ONLY, and no real tunes? Is the FACTORY 5AM....... the backup?
MUST I LOAD the TSP file to get the "base" KTuner Starter 23?

** I am feeling great I got this far although compared to most of you all, I'm too NOOB to groove. **

angry_lime

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OK, so I'm clearly over thinking this quite possibly. I hooked up the KTuner, registered, etc. No problems. I had downloaded the TSP file and have ready to use. I thought I would upload the KTUNER STARTER 23PSI as shown above. This is the STARTER tune I thought others have mentioned here as well. I thought after proving that I knew what I was doing, I would THEN load the TSP file.

But, after loading the KTuner and clicking the NEW FILE button, all I see is one file: FACTORY 5AM MT Base Calibration. I was expecting to see at least 2 files: Base / Factory File in case I need to revert to original. AND, a Base KTuner file, mentioned in the chart above (KTuner Starter 23psi).

So, I'm confused. I shut down and decided to come back to the well here before I do something stupid.

Does the KTuner come with the unit ONLY, and no real tunes? Is the FACTORY 5AM....... the backup?

** I am feeling great I got this far although compared to most of you all, I'm too NOOB to groove. **

Do you have some screenshots of what you're seeing?

With the Ktuner plugged into the OBD port and connected via USB to my laptop, I clicked the + button towards the top left which opens up a new window. Then clicked the drop down for L15B-T 2017+ Civic Si, selected the Factory 5AM MT Base Calibration and clicked Next. This should bring you to a page where you can select which tune you'd like to use. Select your desired tune and click Next. You'll now be brought back to the main screen where you will click the Up Arrow button to actually upload the tune. Click Yes to confirm and then click Flash Now To Flash Directly To The ECU and follow the instructions from there.

This video was super helpful for me when I was uploading the tune:

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This video was super helpful for me when I was uploading the tune:
Argh, thank you, sir. If I had gone one more step, I think I was good. I'll watch the video one more time, and give it a whirl!

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

The Ktuner comes with their "base tunes", but if you purchased it from TSP and selected the TSP Stage 1 Tune with the Ktuner, you need to upload that file (which they email you), and not select the Ktuner base tunes. This link gives you instructions on installing the TSP Stage 1 tune: http://twostepperformance.com/blog/install-guide-for-tsp-stage-tunes-for-ktuner-or-hondata/

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update: I uploaded the TSP file and it seemed to load fine. I got all of the alarms and underwear staining moments, but all turned out. I carefully followed the instructions on the screen. It said flashing, do not disconnect, success, etc. All seemed fine so I went for a ride on one of my corner roads. I won't comment on the performance yet cause it may have been all in my head. The reason I won't say, is this:

Returning home I recalled I could change the Map from 1, 2 or 3 using the cruise control buttons as shown in the video on this thread. I tried this and I could not duplicate the video. So I wonder now if the "tune" took - or did I just return to factory? Or did I forget to set something? Any reason the Map changing steps would not work?

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update: I uploaded the TSP file and it seemed to load fine. I got all of the alarms and underwear staining moments, but all turned out. I carefully followed the instructions on the screen. It said flashing, do not disconnect, success, etc. All seemed fine so I went for a ride on one of my corner roads. I won't comment on the performance yet cause it may have been all in my head. The reason I won't say, is this:

Returning home I recalled I could change the Map from 1, 2 or 3 using the cruise control buttons as shown in the video on this thread. I tried this and I could not duplicate the video. So I wonder now if the "tune" took - or did I just return to factory? Or did I forget to set something? Any reason the Map changing steps would not work?
If you cannot change the maps using the cruise control "cancel" button by holding it down for 3 seconds, than using the up and down arrows on the cruise control, you may not have installed it correctly. Remember that after you upload the tune and you get the success message, you turn off the car, wait for everything to power down (wait maybe 10 seconds), go back into Accessory mode by clicking twice on the start button without your foot on the clutch, wait another 5 to 10 seconds and then hit the OK button to shut the Windows dialogue box, then you can start your car. You may have to reflash again if holding the cancel button down does not allow you to change maps by using the RPM gage

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you cannot change the maps using the cruise control "cancel" button by holding it down for 3 seconds, than using the up and down arrows on the cruise control, you may not have installed it correctly. Remember that after you upload the tune and you get the success message, you turn off the car, wait for everything to power down (wait maybe 10 seconds), go back into Accessory mode by clicking twice on the start button without your foot on the clutch, wait another 5 to 10 seconds and then hit the OK button to shut the Windows dialogue box, then you can start your car. You may have to reflash again if holding the cancel button down does not allow you to change maps by using the RPM gage
hmmm, I did the off wait on wait dance and all the messages seem right. I will try again and update. Agree with you though - if part of it didn't work, I likely have a "swing and a miss".

EDIT: D'OH. So, I reflashed and got all of the messages I expected again. BUT, this time I noticed the cruise control was ON. Then I remembered it should not be. So off it went, and the on-the-fly switching worked as expected.

So, now the feedback. Simply, using MAP 1 only so far, it seemed smoother. I think I noticed the exhaust a bit throatier as others have mentioned but I may be wishing there. As for response and roll-on - I must say, I was impressed. I'm anxious now to try Map 2. THANK YOU for all the help!

Last edited:

MeanGreenSi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Accord Sport
Country flag
hmmm, I did the off wait on wait dance and all the messages seem right. I will try again and update. Agree with you though - if part of it didn't work, I likely have a "swing and a miss".

EDIT: D'OH. So, I reflashed and got all of the messages I expected again. BUT, this time I noticed the cruise control was ON. Then I remembered it should not be. So off it went, and the on-the-fly switching worked as expected.

So, now the feedback. Simply, using MAP 1 only so far, it seemed smoother. I think I noticed the exhaust a bit throatier as others have mentioned but I may be wishing there. As for response and roll-on - I must say, I was impressed. I'm anxious now to try Map 2. THANK YOU for all the help!
Map 3 sport mode: insane!

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi guys. So, quick update .

1. Took Mikey (I named her Mikey - as in "hey Mikey" from the cereal commercials. Yes Mikey was a boy. I know 2 girl Mikey's so be it) for a MAP 2 spin last night. Yes. Holy Crap. Was able to change MAP's at will while not moving, using the cruise control in the OFF position. That's cool. I still think it sounds better too. MAP 3 may be in my future............. may be.

2. Downloaded TunerView to my Android. Used the last 5 digits on the tuner to pair the BT and worked instantly. So cool. I'm going to let the dust settle a bit before hooking to my head unit. For now I have a holder I built for my phone and it sits perfectly, feeding Tuner data screens to the phone display and Android Auto to the head unit.

Again, thanks to all for the help. If you're an old fart like me looking for a little (safe) rush, this is it.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

1. Took Mikey (I named her Mikey - as in "hey Mikey" from the cereal commercials. Yes Mikey was a boy. I know 2 girl Mikey's so be it) for a MAP 2 spin last night. Yes. Holy Crap. Was able to change MAP's at will while not moving, using the cruise control in the OFF position. That's cool. I still think it sounds better too. MAP 3 may be in my future............. may be.

2. Downloaded TunerView to my Android. Used the last 5 digits on the tuner to pair the BT and worked instantly. So cool. I'm going to let the dust settle a bit before hooking to my head unit. For now I have a holder I built for my phone and it sits perfectly, feeding Tuner data screens to the phone display and Android Auto to the head unit.

Again, thanks to all for the help. If you're an old fart like me looking for a little (safe) rush, this is it.
Hey man, I am glad you got it working and are enjoying the additional power. Yesterday I was driving on map 2 and needed to change lanes so I could get to a left turn, and a guy in a BMW, I think 5 series next to me (always the guy in the BMW) decided he did not want to let me change lanes. I wouldn't use the words "smoked him", but I got enough in front of him where I could safely make it to the left turn lane. If it wasn't for hitting the fuel cutoff in 2nd, it is possible that I would use the words I smoked him, but nonetheless he had a shocked look on his face that his $50K plus BMW couldn't stop a $22K Civic from getting in front of him.

Anyway, the community here is to thank for this, I would have never know about Ktuner, and I would have never bought it myself if it wasn't for knowledgeable people in this forum passing on their experiences and proving that it is a safe platform to unlock additional performance

Last edited:

SFerrusco

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si (Ktuner, K&N Intake)
Country flag
Hey man, I am glad you got it working and are enjoying the additional power. Yesterday I was driving on map 2 and needed to change lanes so I could get to a left turn, and a guy in a BMW, I think 5 series next to me (always the guy in the BMW) decided he did not want to let me change lanes. I wouldn't use the words "smoked him", but I got enough in front of him where I could safely make it to the left turn lane. If it wasn't for hitting the fuel cutoff in 2nd, it is possible that I would use the words I smoked him, but nonetheless he had a shocked look on his face that his $50K plus BMW couldn't stop a $22K Civic from getting in front of him.

Anyway, the community here is to thank for this, I would have never know about Ktuner, and I would have never bought it myself if it wasn't for knowledgeable people in this forum passing on their experiences and proving that it is a safe platform to unlock additional performance
Did you have it in sport mode? BMW series 5 have horsepower 248 to 335 hp

SFerrusco

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si (Ktuner, K&N Intake)
Country flag

Try map 3! Try map 3! :headbang::drive:
Sponsored