Jeff's build - for occasional light track use

OP
OP
metal_driver

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
What tire pressures are you running? Tried adjusting the rears up and down to tune the back end?
Great question - I’m sticking with the door label pressures for now... I just bleed down after every run or two to keep it at 35 front/33 back or 1 psi high. Seems to be working great for me at this point. On track balance feels good and tire wear seems pretty even so far..
Sponsored

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
Just a thought, that could be 1-2 psi low in the front for your tire size. You'd be able to tell with a pyrometer or by looking at the scrub on the side of the tire. Rear should be fine.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Just a thought, that could be 1-2 psi low in the front for your tire size. You'd be able to tell with a pyrometer or by looking at the scrub on the side of the tire. Rear should be fine.
I believe he has slotted camber ball joints that gives him about -2.5. 35psi may be sufficient. Normally I would agree that you want to bump up the front tire pressures.

OP
OP
metal_driver

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Yargk ,, thank you for that input. As Ayau states I’m running -2.7 camber up front. I have been tending to let the pressure sit a bit in the higher side of sticker (1 psi above) at times. Tire wear has been pretty even so far. Sounds like it’s working so far but I will keep an eye on it.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag

OP
OP
metal_driver

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
ayau, thank you for the link. I went and grabbed some chalk for this upcoming Friday's track day. I also had a good look at the side walls and the scrub appears to be almost right on the money (edge of the tread) on both the front and backs for now. Being armed with more knowledge is always a good thing though.

Last edited:

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
ayau, thank you for the link. I went and grabbed some chalk for this upcoming Fridayy's track day. I also had a good look at the side walls and the scrub appears to be almost right on the money (edge of the tread) on both the front and backs for now. Being armed with more knowledge is always a good thing though.
Can’t wait to hear your feedback after playing more with the pressures.

I’ll be doing the same thing for my upcoming event too. I’m still uncertain if I want to reduce or increase rear tire pressures in order to reduce grip.

OP
OP
metal_driver

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So far I am quite happy with the rotation I've been getting on track. As the article states there are a lot of factors to consider such as type of tire, temperature, etc. I imagine driver style and feel would come into play as well.

OP
OP
metal_driver

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Its been a while due to Covid but here is a bit of an update.

Hood - I had ordered a First Molding (J's Racing) vented hood (full FRP) last summer through ICB.
Unfortunately, I had to cancel that order after a few months due to issues with trying to get it to Canada during COVID. I suspect a hood will be in my future at some point as I improve, as there have heard good reports about the cooling benefits of a vented hood, but at this point I am going to hold off as I'm simply not at that level yet.

Oil pressure gauge - This one has eluded me thus far unfortunately. The issue has become where to put a sensor. I have no more ports on my sandwich plate as I have used all four ports for oil lines to the double oil cooler set up, and I already have an oil temp probe in a special oil drain plug. I did take a run at piggy backing an oil pressure gauge sensor on the back of the engine at the rocker arm oil pressure sensor. I bought this thinking it would fit in that port.
Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use IMG_3761

Unfortunately the thread was not an exact match and the mechanic reported it leaked a bit. If any one has managed to get an oil p sensor on at this location please let me know.
Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use IMG_3762

Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use IMG_3763

Wheels/tires - I was running Michelin Cups 2's on NSX wheels (19" forged) last summer at the track. I was fairly happy with the Cup 2's, but I did discover they really drop off in grip on a damp track. They are also not the cheapest. One of my instructors tried out a set of Goodyear Supercar 3R's near the end of the season and he liked them, so I decided to try a set of 3R's this summer. At the same time I decided to go down to an 18" wheel (Motegi MR145 18x9.5 +45, ~21 lbs each) to reduce future tire costs. I ordered four 275/35R18 3R's. For some reason the 265's were almost $60 to 70 more :rolleyes:.
I am on stock suspension and have front camber plates on (-2.7 up front) so I think these should clear (although I might have to bend the front wheel well tab in a bit). If the rear tires do end up rubbing I will get some 265's in for the rear and keep 275's as front replacements/spares. Due to covid it took a while to get it all of this in and mounted but I am happy to report I finally got them on :)
I will post if I run into any tire size issues and my impressions once I finally get to track in mid September. No issues on the drive home and they seem to grip like crazy.

In the meantime, here are a couple of shots;

Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use IMG_3751

/\ Check out the meat on these tires :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use IMG_3757

Last edited:

Yomny

First Name
Yomny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
Its been a while due to Covid but here is a bit of an update.

Hood - I had ordered a First Molding (J's Racing) vented hood (full FRP) last summer through ICB.
Unfortunately, I had to cancel that order after a few months due to issues with trying to get it to Canada during COVID. I suspect a hood will be in my future at some point as I improve, as there have heard good reports about the cooling benefits of a vented hood, but at this point I am going to hold off as I'm simply not at that level yet.

Oil pressure gauge - This one has eluded me thus far unfortunately. The issue has become where to put a sensor. I have no more ports on my sandwich plate as I have used all four ports for oil lines to the double oil cooler set up, and I already have an oil temp probe in a special oil drain plug. I did take a run at piggy backing an oil pressure gauge sensor on the back of the engine at the rocker arm oil pressure sensor. I bought this thinking it would fit in that port.
IMG_3761.jpeg

Unfortunately the thread was not an exact match and the mechanic reported it leaked a bit. If any one has managed to get an oil p sensor on at this location please let me know.
IMG_3762.jpeg

IMG_3763.jpeg

Wheels/tires - I was running Michelin Cups 2's on NSX wheels (19" forged) last summer at the track. I was fairly happy with the Cup 2's, but I did discover they really drop off in grip on a damp track. They are also not the cheapest. One of my instructors tried out a set of Goodyear Supercar 3R's near the end of the season and he liked them, so I decided to try a set of 3R's this summer. At the same time I decided to go down to an 18" wheel (Motegi MR145 18x9.5 +45, ~21 lbs each) to reduce future tire costs. I ordered four 275/35R18 3R's. For some reason the 265's were almost $60 to 70 more :rolleyes:.
I am on stock suspension and have front camber plates on (-2.7 up front) so I think these should clear (although I might have to bend the front wheel well tab in a bit). If the rear tires do end up rubbing I will get some 265's in for the rear and keep 275's as front replacements/spares. Due to covid it took a while to get it all of this in and mounted but I am happy to report I finally got them on :)
I will post if I run into any tire size issues and my impressions once I finally get to track in mid September. No issues on the drive home and they seem to grip like crazy.

In the meantime, here are a couple of shots;

IMG_3751.jpeg

/\ Check out the meat on these tires :)

IMG_3757.jpeg

That rear-end shot looks perfect. Wide body the type r really begs for wide tires.

OP
OP
metal_driver

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks Yomny, I can’t wait to try these out on the track in mid Sep. I’ll report back on how it goes.

OP
OP
metal_driver

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Finally got to the track yesterday (12 Sep 2021). Went for a full day HPDE event at Calabogie track just west of Ottawa. The day was set up with two run groups; advanced and intermediate. Each group got 6x30 min runs with three in the a.m. and three in the p.m. The track was slightly damp in the morning but dry after the first two runs and it was partly cloudy with a high of 72F by mid afternoon.

Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use IMG_3869

New wheels/Tires

I had a great day and I have to say I was very impressed with the new Goodyear Supercar 3R' tires (275/35R18) and the Motegi 18x9.5 MR145 rims. Seemed like a definite step-up from the Cup 2's 255/35R19's I was running before on 19x8.5 NSX rims last year.

I am also very happy to report that the rear tires did not rub at all. I did discover today after washing the car that the front side passenger tire rubbed a touch on the front wheel tab just behind the side marker light. I subsequently pushed both front tabs up about 30 degrees without folding them or removing the screw. I suspect that there will be no future contact based on how little there was and only on one side (I have -2.6/2.8 camber up front).

As far as tire pressures go I was bleeding the pressure down to 35 PSI front/33 rear at the end of each run while the tires will still hot/warm. By the third session I began to suspect that the rears needed a bit less pressure due to the high shoulder wear marks and feel.
Right after lunch my senior instructor from last year asked if he could take me out in my car during an advance session. After driving my car he confirmed what I suspected, and figured the fronts and back could actually come down at least 2 more PSI when hot (recommend 32 front/31 PSI back with this particular set up when the tires are hot/warm).

Lapping

I was in the intermediate group and did quite well. After reviewing the lap timer and video I was a bit surprised that I actually put in a 2:35.73 lap by myself (full course) near the end of the day.

My instructor who drove during one of the advanced sessions in my car in the afternoon consistency put in 2:30's with one 2:29.348 but that was a fair amount of traffic and with an extra 190 pounds of ballast in the car (me).

By far the most the most astonishing part of the day was when he hunted down and passed a new Porsche GT3 who had just passed us shortly after my instructor took the wheel. That same GT3 was putting some fast laps in the advance group all morning. I was blown away.

Heres a couple of shots of some of the cars i the advance group
Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use IMG_3878

Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use IMG_3873

(and no this is not the GT3 my instructor passed - lol)

Later that day my instructor stated that he figured my Type R was likely capable of a 2:23 lap (as is - stock power).

The car

After driving to the track for an hour and a half in the morning I then put in three x 30 mins session before lunch. After the one hour lunch break we were back at it but with a twist... After my first 30 min session in the afternoon, my instructor hopped in and drove it harder for the next 30 mins with me in it. We then pitted to drop him off and I went right back out for another 30 mins. Luckily, I filled the gas tank during lunch. Even though I was a bit worried about driving the car on the track for a straight one and a half (1.5) hours - the car, brakes, and tires all held up well :thumbsup:

So after the drive to the track and 7 x 30 mins lap sessions I drove the car home for another 1.5 hours that evening. Great little car.

Cooling

Even though the temperature was only 72F the highest the oil temp gauge got to was 208F and that was even after a full 1.5 hour session with someone far more talented than I driving for a portion of that. Pretty happy with that.

Overall, it was a great first outing for the year. Wished I had more time to get out to the track. I wanted to get out much earlier this year but I had to wait quite a while for the new tires and rims (hard to get some of this stuff during civid) and work got much busier again by the end of June which did not leave much home or down time.

Last edited:

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
Finally got to the track yesterday (12 Sep 2021). Went for a full day HPDE event at Calabogie track just west of Ottawa. The day was set up with two run groups; advanced and intermediate. Each group got 6x30 min runs with three in the a.m. and three in the p.m. The track was slightly damp in the morning but dry after the first two runs and it was partly cloudy with a high of 72F by mid afternoon.

IMG_3869.jpeg

New wheels/Tires

I had a great day and I have to say I was very impressed with the new Goodyear Supercar 3R' tires (275/35R18) and the Motegi 18x9.5 MR145 rims. Seemed like a definite step-up from the Cup 2's 255/35R19's I was running before on 19x8.5 NSX rims last year.

I am also very happy to report that the rear tires did not rub at all. I did discover today after washing the car that the front side passenger tire rubbed a touch on the front wheel tab just behind the side marker light. I subsequently pushed both front tabs up about 30 degrees without folding them or removing the screw. I suspect that there will be no future contact based on how little there was and only on one side (I have -2.6/2.8 camber up front).

As far as tire pressures go I was bleeding the pressure down to 35 PSI front/33 rear at the end of each run while the tires will still hot/warm. By the third session I began to suspect that the rears needed a bit less pressure due to the high shoulder wear marks and feel.
Right after lunch my senior instructor from last year asked if he could take me out in my car during an advance session. After driving my car he confirmed what I suspected, and figured the fronts and back could actually come down at least 2 more PSI when hot (recommend 32 front/31 PSI back with this particular set up when the tires are hot/warm).

Lapping

I was in the intermediate group and did quite well. After reviewing the lap timer and video I was a bit surprised that I actually put in a 2:35.73 lap by myself (full course) near the end of the day.

My instructor who drove during one of the advanced sessions in my car in the afternoon consistency put in 2:30's with one 2:29.348 but that was a fair amount of traffic and with an extra 190 pounds of ballast in the car (me).

By far the most the most astonishing part of the day was when he hunted down and passed a new Porsche GT3 who had just passed us shortly after my instructor took the wheel. That same GT3 was putting some fast laps in the advance group all morning. I was blown away.

Heres a couple of shots of some of the cars i the advance group
IMG_3878.jpeg

IMG_3873.jpeg

(and no this is not the GT3 my instructor passed - lol)

Later that day my instructor stated that he figured my Type R was likely capable of a 2:23 lap (as is - stock power).

The car

After driving to the track for an hour and a half in the morning I then put in three x 30 mins session before lunch. After the one hour lunch break we were back at it but with a twist... After my first 30 min session in the afternoon, my instructor hopped in and drove it harder for the next 30 mins with me in it. We then pitted to drop him off and I went right back out for another 30 mins. Luckily, I filled the gas tank during lunch. Even though I was a bit worried about driving the car on the track for a straight one and a half (1.5) hours - the car, brakes, and tires all held up well :thumbsup:

So after the drive to the track and 7 x 30 mins lap sessions I drove the car home for another 1.5 hours that evening. Great little car.

Cooling

Even though the temperature was only 72F the highest the oil temp gauge got to was 208F and that was even and a full 1.5 hour session with someone much more talented than I driving for a portion of that. Pretty happy with that.

Overall, it was a great first outing for the year. Wished I had more time to get out to the track more. I wanted to get out much earlier this year but I had to wait quite a while for the new tires and rims (hard to get some of this stuff during civid) and work got much busier again by the end of June which did not leave much home or down time.
Great to have fun. Recently go to Buttonwillow at 104 ambient. Takes 12 mins to get heat soak and have to cool down was a pain. However, feeling myself getting better controlling my car and gets better lap time is more satisfying.