Jeff's build - for occasional light track use

OP
OP
metal_driver

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Thank you Matt :)

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Jeff, how was the wear on the Goodyears? It seems like a great tire but would change my handicap or points system in the Ontario Time-Attack series. I have been stuck competing with RS4s which are never going to win me anything.

OP
OP
metal_driver

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Dave, I got to admit I really like these new tires but I’m not sure I have an answer on the treadwear yet.. I only have one full day on them on the track.

I think they would definitely up your game for time attack and should last longer than at the track.

Unfortunately, I’m beginning to suspect these are not going to last as long as the Cup 2’s at least at the track. I hope they do as I really like how much better they performed. Great performance from these so far.

I am trying to get another full day in on 1 or 8 Oct so hopefully I will have a bit more info at that point. I would think they should last longer at time attacks but I have no experience on that front.

As long as these things don’t melt off in a couple of track days I suspect I’m going to go to these again because they just seemed that much better to me.

Last edited:

OP
OP
metal_driver

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, unfortunately with work picking up again I only got out twice so far this year (2022). Once in the spring (7 May) and once last Friday (30 Sep). Both sessions were at Calablogie for full HPDE days. I had a great day at the spring outing and it re-affirmed how much I like the new Goodyear 3R's.

Last Friday I was in for a bit of a surprise as I was moved up to the Advanced group. During the day I managed a new personal best as I continue to get a bit more confident in what I'm doing. I managed a 2:32.89 on the full course. This was the third or forth full day on the Goodyear 3R's and it looks like I can still get another track day or two out of them yet. Each day consists of a little over 500 Km's with a little under half of that being the trip to and from the track and the rest on the track for 6 to 7 x 30 minute seasons per day. Refined the tire pressure a bit to something that seems to work well for this set up (32 PSI front - hot, and 30 PSI hot rear). Taking the rears down the extra PSI made it more stable and the surface treadwear and shoulder wear looked better.

As I am approaching the end of life for my first set of track pads I have decided I am going to move up one level on the G-Locs to R10's front and R8's rear. I expect to get those in and on by next spring.

I also purchased and tried out a Garmin Catalyst this session. I like how easy it is to use, allowing you do a quick review between half hour sessions. The stabilized video is also very nice to have. I mounted the suction cup right to the info center screen after putting a screen saver on it, using the suction cup that comes with the Garmin kit.

Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use IMG_5632

Last edited:
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Really love the red, don't think I've seen one in person yet. Glad to see you're tracking it too!

While you're upgrading your brakes I'd recommend our bronze slide pin bushings for the rear calipers to help keep brake pad wear as even as possible. A lot of our other parts also fit the FK8 too and we've got more parts coming :)

OP
OP
metal_driver

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Happy to report I got back out for another full track day at Calabogie.

Tires - I think this was my forth or fifth outing on the Goodyear 3R's (275/35R18 square). The ideal pressures for me seem to be 32 PSI front and 30 PSI rear when hot. It looks like I have only one track day left them. Although they wear fairly quick these things stick like glue and Im very happy with them. I also found them a bit more predictable on a damp track than the Cup 2's I had.
In summary, it lootks like I will get 6 full track days out of the 3R's which includes 300Km per day on track and 200 Km per day for the road trip to the track and then back home (total 500 Km per outing x 6 outings for approximately = 3,000 Km's). I have now managed to source another set of fresh Goodyear 3 R's which will go on after the next outing.

Brakes - I am still running on my original G-Loc R-8 front pads, GS-1 rear pads with Girodisc front brake discs, and titanium brake pad shields. Put fresh Motul RBF 600 brake fluid in the day prior.
Turns out I had a lot more brake pad left than I first suspected (6mm- 7 mm both front and back) so these have held up much better than expected. I did go ahead and buy replacement pads and got talked into G-Loc R16 fronts and R8's rear. Looks like these will be starting in their boxes for a while yet before I get to try them out.

Oil Temps - OAT for the day only reached 23C / 73-74F by mid afternoon. As I improve I am now pushing the car harder. The highest temp I saw during the day was 98C / 208F (read directly from a temp sensor at the oil pan). I am really beginning to believe that the double wheel well oil cooler set up helps a great deal here. I run Amsoil Signature series 0W20 along with 94 octane fuel (no power mods). As an aside I also noted the car coolant temp gauge did not move above half way up all day.

Times - I was definitely rusty since my last outing late last year and I did not beat my personal best of 2:32 on this 5.05 Km (3.14 mile) long track, but I was getting a number of 2:35 laps in. Often traffic got in the way any time I had a nice lap rolling..

Timing/Tech - Got to use the Garmin Catalyst for a second time and I really like the simplicity of the set up and the display. I use a screen saver on the main screen and simply put a suction cup for the Garmin on top of it. I will try to get pics of it the next time I am out.

Run group - I am now in the Advance group but still it's definitely a step up. Some fast cars in the group including two Radicals, a new GT4 RS, some Vets, and a newer Shelby GT500, which was just an animal on the track.

Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use tempImagehH4BAu

Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use tempImage0KDcyq

Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use tempImageE3aZrK

Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use tempImageOg2Grj

Last edited:

OP
OP
metal_driver

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oil Pressure indication

During some of my previous posts on pages 3 and 4 (posts 21/28/30/35, and 45) as well as post 85 on page 6, I described how I was was looking for ways to get an oil pressure reading. Unfortunately, all four ports on my GReddy oil filter adapter were already in use for the parallel double oil cooler set up - not that this is an ideal place for a pressure reeding anyway..

More recently I was thinking about purchasing one of these gauges and sensors but its pricey -
https://www.civictyperparts.com/col...3-obd2-honda-civic-type-r-fk8-2-0t-k20c1-2017
https://www.civictyperparts.com/col...sensor-honda-civic-type-r-fk8-2-0t-k20c1-2017

Well, a few days ago I pulled my Type R out of storage after an extended period and it displayed a "Rev match" and "Emissions issue" code. This had happened one time previously after I had the car in my brothers shop for an extended period while adding the cooling mods when first got it. (note - this seems to a repeated issue after extended storage for several FK8 owners).
Well, I decided to try an Autel AP200 to diagnose the codes. Much to my surprise, once I hooked it up to the OBD II port and cleared the codes, I found an option for live streaming including 'Engine rocker arm oil pressure sensor' readings. For info, this sensor is already on the car as one of two ohm sensors, located at the back of the engine block.
With the Autel up and running, the information can be selected and displayed under the 'Engine' section. You can also adjust the range you want displayed. The pic below shows what I was able to get live on my phone with the car running with the Autel dongle plugged in,

I then went for a drive and carefully watched the pressure display during some extended high G circles in both directions. I am happy to report there was no noticeable drops in the oil pressure while turning hard in either direction for an extended period around a tight cut de sac loop,, as one or two have eluded to in the past could happen while on the track.

I plan on taking this with me to the next few track days to keep an eye on Oil P while tracking. I will post here if I see anything unusual at all.

Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use tempImageWtqG6R

Last edited:
OP
OP
metal_driver

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Finally got to the Tremblant track last Monday. Have been wanting to get there for some time.
A former Air Force colleague of mine, who instructs there, was helping to organize a track day on behalf of a company he is part of - VAG Motorsport (https://www.vagmotorsport.ca/).
The track itself is located about an hour and a half NW of Montreal which is about 2 1/2 hours out of Ottawa to the NE.
Although a bit foggy in the morning, the weather cleared out by 10 am and was perfect.

It was nice to get to try a different track. Best described as a mix of Calabogie and Mosport (which is just east of Toronto). We ran the full course which is 4.22 Km's long (2.62 miles) but with some pretty good elevation changes on the north side (https://lapmeta.com/en/track/variation/38).

The format was a bit different than Calabogie as they had three run groups (instead of 2 at Calabogie). As a result, each run only 20 minutes per hour versus the 30 minutes I am used to. There were 7 sessions total. As I was new at the track, I spent the morning in the Intermediate group with an instructor until checked out by lunch time. By the afternoon, I was cut to head out in my own and before the day was done I got one run in with the Advanced group.

My buddy (the instructor) took me out for a run in the company's highly modified Porsche 911 Turbo (550 - 600 HP, 2700 pound track only car with lots of GT2 part upgrades) for some demo laps right after lunch. What a difference huge brakes and almost double the HP makes! He was running with a brand new GT4 RS and put in a 1:53.97. During the afternoon I managed to put in a 2:02.57 so I am pretty happy with that.

As for oil temps the highest I got to was 217F during the afternoon when the outside air temperature reached 24C/75F.

I switched back to and ran on the Goodyear 3R's again (from my Cup 2's on NSX rims which I drove up on just in case of rain or the 3Rs wearing out during the day). Happy to report the Goodyear #R's held on for another full day of lapping and suprisingly it looks like I may get another day out of them yet when I get back to Calabogie.

Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use IMG_7566 copy

Car all cleaned up before heading out (19" NSX wheels and Cup 2's on)
Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use image000000

Morning set up getting the 18" Motegi Traclites on with the Goodyear 275/35 3R's.
Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use IMG_7581 copy

Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use IMG_7578 copy

VAG Motorsport 911 track car I got a ride in with my friend who also instructed me for the first half the day at this new track (Tremblant).
Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use IMG_7585 copy

Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use IMG_7569 copy

Got to pass this beaty mid day (only because the driver was new).

Honda Civic 10th gen Jeff's build - for occasional light track use IMG_7588 copy

Then there was this insane track Ferrari. Different league (advanced run group - lol).

Overall, a great outing. Had a blast.

Last edited:

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Hey Jeff! Looking into going to Calabogie next season.

Just wanted to verify - you don't have any track day insurance right?

OP
OP
metal_driver

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
/\ That’s correct.

Would love to see a blue Type R show up.
Sponsored