Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
recommended engine oil:
Honda OEM engine oil
-> Honda OEM engine oil P.279
API SM or SN rank or higher engine oil with API certification mark

Using an engine oil that is old or if you are low on engine oil, it can lead to engine problems or failures.

choose an engine oil suitable to the ambient temperature as shown on the graph.

*Honda OEM engine oil that is suited for best mileage purposes. Available at your Honda dealers.

->Recommended Engine Oil:
engine oil deteriorates faster in the winter time
If you are going to use the vehicle for short distance, around town city driving in the winter time, please change them earlier than normal

OP
OP

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
So basically both weights will work for this car.

PMMonly4HATCH

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald Frump
Threads
Reaction score
Only bad people (Not Cars) come to America
Vehicle(s)
'17 HATCH ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
recommended engine oil:
Honda OEM engine oil
-> Honda OEM engine oil P.279
API SM or SN rank or higher engine oil with API certification mark

->Recommended Engine Oil:
engine oil deteriorates faster in the winter time
If you are going to use the vehicle for short distance, around town city driving in the winter time, please change them earlier than normal
Looks like the full synthetic Honda or HGMO 0w-20 has been formulated right from the get-go if it is prescribed for the Type R as well as the run of the mill or should I say, garden variety Civics. Also, interesting that the oil deteriorates faster in the winter although I wonder if it also deteriorates fast in Severe Heat but since most of U/S has moderate temps in the summer, they ignore the Severe Heat scenarios?

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
Hmm, so if I were to give my dealership 5W-30 to perform the oil change, could I show them this manual printout in case they threaten to void my warranty:hmm:

jdmorangefever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 eg, 17 type r, 16 crv
Country flag
Hmm, so if I were to give my dealership 5W-30 to perform the oil change, could I show them this manual printout in case they threaten to void my warranty:hmm:
It should be fine, at my dealer people bring own oil and we would never void warranty cause of it. The thought wouldnt even cross my mind.

gtolio

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 EP3 Si hatch, 2019 Civic Sport Hatch 6spd, 2017 Honda Ruckus
Country flag
Yeah, I don't think most dealerships care. I do think it's funny to bring your own oil to the dealership, but not be willing to just do the change yourself. But to each his own I guess.

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
Yeah, I don't think most dealerships care. I do think it's funny to bring your own oil to the dealership, but not be willing to just do the change yourself. But to each his own I guess.
I don't think I'm allowed to perform maintenance in a private apartment lot, especially something potentially messy as an oil change :rofl:

gtolio

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't think I'm allowed to perform maintenance in a private apartment lot, especially something potentially messy as an oil change :rofl:
Yeah, that's true. Good point.

OP
OP

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
If it weren't for waiting 2-3 hours at the dealership for an oil change, I'd be paying $20-30 for labor at the dealership as well. Don't have to deal with mess, dumping the oil, etc.

gtolio

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If it weren't for waiting 2-3 hours at the dealership for an oil change, I'd be paying $20-30 for labor at the dealership as well. Don't have to deal with mess, dumping the oil, etc.
Personally, I think that 2-3 hours waiting at the dealership during their business hours is much more of a pain than dumping the used oil. I just take it back to Walmart. A ton of other places take it too, though.

Bonus is that I get to use the oil I want, and I can take my time to know it's done right.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
They can't void your warranty unless the service department proves that the engine oil caused some kind of mechanical failure. All engine oil is certified to work in any gasoline engine so long as you get a weight within range and there's not that much difference between 0w20 and 5w30.
Sponsored