Jalopnik reviews 2020 Civic HB ST

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-honda-civic-hatchback-is-too-good-for-superflu-1841646774

The review was meh. But it’s the comments that crack me up. Practically every comment post starts with or includes the word, “ugly”, in their reply; it’s a running joke to rag about the design.

Comments like a child, a special-needs individual or even a blind person designed it was a big hit.

It’s interesting to me that IRL the comments I get are all complimentary.

Look at the comments for yourself. But fair warning, the herd mentality is strong.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-honda-civic-hatchback-is-too-good-for-superflu-1841646774

The review was meh. But it’s the comments that crack me up. Practically every comment post starts with or includes the word, “ugly”, in their reply; it’s a running joke to rag about the design.

It’s interesting to me that IRL the comments I get are all complimentary.
Here's the thing. We all love our tenth gens or we wouldn't have bought them, right? And beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Over the years I've taken note of comments written online about our cars looks. Both by reviewers and regular folks. It's pretty clear a lot of people think the 10th gen is either ugly or overdone. The hatch gets most of the "over-styled" or "boy racer" or fugly comments. The coupe has a "bubble butt" apparently. Actually the sedan gets the least negativity but still plenty of haters.

As far as getting compliments in person, I do as well. Then again, nobody will walk up and say "hey man, fugly car you got". :cool:

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Yep, "meh" is a fitting description for the review. I have never found one car reviewer whose tastes, perceptions, and judgments are any similar to mine. So I only extract strictly factual information from reviews an discard everything else.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Sounds about right for Jalopnik.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I'd like to know how much cargo capacity there is under the security shade in a hatchback (or SUV). IOW if you go on vacation & want to keep prying eyes (AKA thieves) from looking at all your luggage & possessions. I have never seen this spec mentioned anywhere.

I almost bought a mid-size SUV but it didn't hold all my luggage, etc that my big old sedan did. At least not with the cargo cover/shade in place.

I realize a HB can hold more stuff than a trunk & that can come in handy. But if you want to hide your stuff then it may be a different story.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd like to know how much cargo capacity there is under the security shade in a hatchback (or SUV). IOW if you go on vacation & want to keep prying eyes (AKA thieves) from looking at all your luggage & possessions. I have never seen this spec mentioned anywhere.

I almost bought a mid-size SUV but it didn't hold all my luggage, etc that my big old sedan did. At least not with the cargo cover/shade in place.

I realize a HB can hold more stuff than a trunk & that can come in handy. But if you want to hide your stuff then it may be a different story.
I never worried about it when loading my van or SUV full. When on vacation I almost never need to leave anywhere the car fully loaded and I use blankets and tarps to cover stuff. Besides, a suitcase full of clothes is not an attractive object among thieves. A bag with photo equipment might be. Either way, for me, the civic, hatch or not, is not an adequate vacation vehicle for more than 2 people, maybe with one small child.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Good review, she nailed it on how the car drives light and sporty unlike so many cars these days. I find it more fun than the Jetta GLI, which is surprising.

Comments like a child, a special-needs individual or even a blind person designed it was a big hit.
Well, it's Kristen Lee of Jalopnik.

Honda Civic 10th gen Jalopnik reviews 2020 Civic HB ST maxresdefault

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag

Way more room under the shade than in a vertical hatch like the GTI. It's the best hatchback trunk by far. A Golf is good for stacking up a lot of pillows.

OP
OP
silverrascal

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good review, she nailed it on how the car drives light and sporty unlike so many cars these days. I find it more fun than the Jetta GLI, which is surprising.

Well, it's Kristen Lee of Jalopnik.

maxresdefault.jpg
I like some of the stuff she writes on the blog but I wasn't referring to Kristen about the comments being made.

OP
OP
silverrascal

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I had a '16 EX-T sedan and the trunk seemed deeper to store stuff in there. I have a '19 EX hatch now and I can store more items higher in the back but not as deep. The covers used to hide your items in the hatch work extremely well, imho.

PNWCIVICSPORTHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport HB
Country flag
i am an old guy and i bought a 2020 HB Sport. first civic since my 91 SI . The new styling is fine with me. my daughter, which kinda looks like Kirsten Lee loves my car and wants to trade me her car for it.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The car is polarizing in the design dept. Some love it, others hate it. I give Honda huge props for taking such a risk. Sales have clearly shown that it speaks volumes to certain types of buyers.

Also, in Honda's defense, nothing could be worse than the 9th Gen's design. As one reviewer put it, it's like the designers popped a bunch of sleeping pills before going to work.

Honda Civic 10th gen Jalopnik reviews 2020 Civic HB ST upload_2020-3-22_23-36-46

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
I like some of the stuff she writes on the blog but I wasn't referring to Kristen about the comments being made.
I just wanted to clarify that this was also what I was referring to. Every time I go to Jalopnik the comments section is a mess.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I never worried about it when loading my van or SUV full. When on vacation I almost never need to leave anywhere the car fully loaded and I use blankets and tarps to cover stuff. Besides, a suitcase full of clothes is not an attractive object among thieves. A bag with photo equipment might be. Either way, for me, the civic, hatch or not, is not an adequate vacation vehicle for more than 2 people, maybe with one small child.
I’ve been on vacation with other people in a van & we’ve used blankets to cover stuff, but I never felt 100% comfortable with that. I may be more sensitive to theft because one of my jobs was settling auto total theft claims. Consequently I like to hide everything.
Sponsored