ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Yea I kinda want to learn coding but your rite. Not worth learning out how on the ecu lol. I'll check out the guy in CT!

I drove up to ECS Performance In Windsor Locks, CT. Its about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Warwick. But they get you in and out while you wait. Its worth the drive IMO..

OP
OP

Fk8tjt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda type r 2018
Country flag
I drove up to ECS Performance In Windsor Locks, CT. Its about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Warwick. But they get you in and out while you wait. Its worth the drive IMO..
How much did it cost to get it unlocked? Also I think I know where you live lol, Cowessette ave? I drove past a type r a couple times on that street

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
How much did it cost to get it unlocked? Also I think I know where you live lol, Cowessette ave? I drove past a type r a couple times on that street

Yup that's me. I can't remember 100% because I also had them install an exhaust and front pipe too. I wanna say like $700 for the unlock and ktuner v1. 2 unit (they also loaded the multitune on it)

I'll have to dig out my receipt sometime later.. If your on the New England Type-R FB group there's a guy in there who works for ecs and he can help you with any questions you may have.

rhatty24

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R #12800
Country flag
Unless you know your way around electronics and coding, I recommend spending the $125 for a rental car for a few days and sending your ECU out like everyone else. I literally spent $125 on Kayak.com for a 3-day rental car just now. The downside of you messing up your ECU is much higher than the cost of the rental car.

Alternatively, go to ECS Performance in CT. I think they also can unlock the ECU.

I went to EuroDynamic Tuning in PA in-person to get mine unlocked (they're verified KTuner dealer + unlocker). Took about an hour to do. He basically opened up the ECU and connected it to a laptop and did some other stuff. Not sure what though.
If you don't mind what was the damage done with the cost of the unlock and did you purchasing the tuner from them or Ktuner?

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
If you don't mind what was the damage done with the cost of the unlock and did you purchasing the tuner from them or Ktuner?
$300 to unlock. I think I paid $450 for KTuner V1.2 (which I prefer vs. V2) and I think I bought the KTuner unit separately, but most of the shops that unlock also sell KTuner. Custom tune was separate as well (from Innovative MotorWorks).

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
sorry for being noob,
what is unlocking ecu for?
Do i have to unlock the ecu to use Ktuner or hondata?
thanks

RCX

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R | Sentra SER | GMC Terrain.
Country flag
Do i have to unlock the ecu to use Ktuner or hondata?
thanks

Yes, the processor on the ECU board is password protected. Password has to be read and password protection disabled before you can program over OBD2 port.
Sponsored