Jack/Jack Stand Tips?

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Hmm, so I guess there wouldn't be a need for me to order those other stands and wait two weeks if I could pick these up in store tomorrow for about half the price, yeah? Or there might be something better about the other ones, I'm not really sure.

And would I even need a jack and stands if all I'm trying to do is remove the front bumper, assuming that I won't be crushed by my own car if this can hold it (as it can hold 16,000 lbs) and I set my car in park and chalk the rear tires?
The rhino ramps barely clear a stock height Civic.

If you are not lowered, you can probably get away with using them if all you want is to remove the bumper.

If you are lowered, the front bumper will not clear to drive the car onto them.

Source: I also own rhino ramps :hmm:
Sponsored

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I would suggest getting the longest reach, lowest profile version they make. I don't recall which color that is, but while it won't be as hearty as the yellow it will be easier to use on the Civic.

Also, if you've got some typical garage shelves you can nestle it right in and take up practically no space.

IMG_20200819_212833.jpg
I have the red (I think 3 1/3 ton) Daytona and I can get it under my 2020 Si barley to jack it up on the control arm or the pinch weld. Best thing they sell at Harbor Freight is those jacks.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I have the red (I think 3 1/3 ton) Daytona and I can get it under my 2020 Si barley to jack it up on the control arm or the pinch weld. Best thing they sell at Harbor Freight is those jacks.
I think some of the Icon tools are a close second for the best thing they sell. The Daytona Jacks will definitely last decades, if you check and change the fluid every so many years.

Getting my own jack and getting comfortable driving onto the ramps, lifting from the front and rear lift points, and using jack stands has been incredibly empowering. I used to only use ramps to do basic maintenance on my last car but now I feel like I could do anything.

And I plan to.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The rhino ramps barely clear a stock height Civic.

If you are not lowered, you can probably get away with using them if all you want is to remove the bumper.

If you are lowered, the front bumper will not clear to drive the car onto them.

Source: I also own rhino ramps :hmm:
I am not lowered, and have Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires.

My [current] main intention is to have access behind the front bumper so I can swap out the cold air intake, intercooler, and fog lights. I guess if I start doing my own oil changes, I can do more things as needed. But to spend upwards to $300 more (I know I know, I shouldn't own a car if I can't spend that much more lol) needlessly might not be my go-to for now.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I am not lowered, and have Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires.
Do you have any aftermarket front lips?

If not, go cheap and use the rhino ramps.

But having a jack and being comfortable using it will enable you to do anything you want.

Brakes? Piece of cake.

Tire shop harassing you for bringing in your car every 3,000 for a free rotation but you need it because you constantly spin those tires with TSP stage 1? Rotate them yourself between tire shop visits.

Need to upgrade or replace a shock? Gravy.

Sway bar? The cherry on top.

Exhaust? OK well that's still kind of a pain in the ass but much easier with a jack.

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I think some of the Icon tools are a close second for the best thing they sell. The Daytona Jacks will definitely last decades, if you check and change the fluid every so many years.

Getting my own jack and getting comfortable driving onto the ramps, lifting from the front and rear lift points, and using jack stands has been incredibly empowering. I used to only use ramps to do basic maintenance on my last car but now I feel like I could do anything.

And I plan to.
Yes sir I know that feeling. I have done engine swaps with only floor jacks and jack stands. Recently I did a clutch on a 2003 Saturn Ion and if you do not know what that entails well let me tell you I wold rather do an engine swap but yea really you can do almost anything and probably if you get creative literally anything you need to on a car with just floor jacks, jack stands and ramps.

I mean I wish I had a two pole hoist in my garage but you gotta make do and get er done.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Do you have any aftermarket front lips?

If not, go cheap and use the rhino ramps.

But having a jack and being comfortable using it will enable you to do anything you want.

Brakes? Piece of cake.

Tire shop harassing you for bringing in your car every 3,000 for a free rotation but you need it because you constantly spin those tires with TSP stage 1? Rotate them yourself between tire shop visits.

Need to upgrade or replace a shock? Gravy.

Sway bar? The cherry on top.

Exhaust? OK well that's still kind of a pain in the ass but much easier with a jack.
Yup no other cosmetic modifications that will interfere with the ramps. I'll go with the Rhinos then.

I get what you mean, though. The good news is that I can always buy those other things when need be, but for now my only "need" is for those parts where the front bumper is removed, hah.

Much appreciated, though! I'll probably just return the jack stands for now, hold off on the low-profile jack, and cancel the other ramp order so I can see if AutoZone can get my the Rhino ramps.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Yup no other cosmetic modifications that will interfere with the ramps. I'll go with the Rhinos then.

I get what you mean, though. The good news is that I can always buy those other things when need be, but for now my only "need" is for those parts where the front bumper is removed, hah.

Much appreciated, though! I'll probably just return the jack stands for now, hold off on the low-profile jack, and cancel the other ramp order so I can see if AutoZone can get my the Rhino ramps.
This is only the beginning. :confused1:

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
While lifting from the LCA is probably possible, even with a lowered civic, the LCA is not a part that is strong in the lifting direction. It's some stamped steel. I wouldn't lift from it.

Even if you would, the steps would be:
Turn wheel to drivers side
Lift drivers side LCA
Lower drivers side onto jackstand
Turn wheel to passenger side
Lift passenger side LCA
Lower passenger side onto jackstand
Do work
Lift passenger side off jack stand
Lower passenger side onto ground
Turn wheel to drivers side
Lift drivers side off jack stand
Lower drivers side to ground

It does get away with no ramps or wood blocks but I'd advocate for the less effort single lift of the central jack point. Also I really can't stress enough lifting from points that aren't structurally sound or designed for lifting can have potentially negative results.

Then again, if you're only doing it once...

I didn't expect to be lifting my civic every other weekend for one thing or another but now that I have an easy and reliable method to do it that has no real risk to the vehicle, I lift the sucker all the time.
Keep in mind that the control arms are already supporting the weight of the car and are designed to withstand very high loads under hard driving conditions.
We regularly jack from here for a variety of reasons, including pre-loading the suspension components before tightening etc. I have never in many years as a technician seen a control arm that couldn't withstand the lifting of the car in such a manner and if one exists, it should not be anywhere near your car.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
I think it's making more sense, but I don't know what the lower control arm is.

The reason I'm asking kind of frantically is because I just placed an order on those ramps, and would like to cancel that in time if I can get away with just using a low profile jack to raise it onto jack stands.

And I don't plan on removing the wheels, by the way.
Having ramps is certainly handy to have so there's no harm in having them.
I'm simply giving you other options that don't require any aditional tools. You can even make low profile ramps out of scrap wood for next to nothing. You don't actually require a lot of height, just enough to get clearance on the underside. Maybe 80-100mm is all you'll need. See here for example.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Keep in mind that the control arms are already supporting the weight of the car and are designed to withstand very high loads under hard driving conditions.
We regularly jack from here for a variety of reasons, including pre-loading the suspension components before tightening etc. I have never in many years as a technician seen a control arm that couldn't withstand the lifting of the car in such a manner and if one exists, it should not be anywhere near your car.
The front lower control arms are not supporting the weight of the car in a Macpherson strut suspension. The knuckle and strut are. The front lower control arm is solely for lateral stabilization and on these civics is a piece of stamped steel designed to be strong laterally.

Applying upward force in the center is most definitely not something they were designed for, and I would never recommend someone lift in this way.

Preloading the suspension can safely be done by lifting from the knuckle-end of the lower control arm where the force is not being transferred to the control arm but directly through the knuckle to the strut.

But you can't reach the knuckle end to lift with the car on the ground.

The only Honda service manual sanctioned lifting in this way is precisely what I stated - lifting from the knuckle end, transferring the force directly through the knuckle to the strut, with the wheel removed, solely to preload suspension components.

You're free to lift your car however you like, but I'm never going to recommend something like this on a forum to someone inexperienced and learning how to work on their car.

Why do you want to teach people riskier methods and bad habits out the gate?

Last edited:

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The front lower control arms are not supporting the weight of the car in a Macpherson strut suspension. The knuckle and strut are. The front lower control arm is solely for lateral stabilization and on these civics is a piece of stamped steel designed to be strong laterally.

Applying upward force in the center is most definitely not something they were designed for, and I would never recommend someone lift in this way.

Preloading the suspension can safely be done by lifting from the knuckle-end of the lower control arm where the force is not being transferred to the control arm but directly through the knuckle to the strut.

But you can't reach the knuckle end to lift with the car on the ground.

The only Honda service manual sanctioned lifting in this way is precisely what I stated - lifting from the knuckle end, transferring the force directly through the knuckle to the strut, with the wheel removed, solely to preload suspension components.

You're free to lift your car however you like, but I'm never going to recommend something like this on a forum to someone inexperienced and learning how to work on their car.

Why do you want to teach people riskier methods and bad habits out the gate?
You glazed over the key part about arms being designed for loads under hard driving conditions but whatever, it doesn't really matter and is moving off topic.

Feel free to do things however suits your own preferences but I'm merely adding an option you'd see professionals doing all the time.

Your post implies the control arms are made of paper but that's simply an exaggeration I assume is based on theory rather than experience. I've never witnessed anything like you've described and I'm dealer trained with many years behind me.

Ultimately, do it how best suits you.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
You glazed over the key part about arms being designed for loads under hard driving conditions but whatever, it doesn't really matter and is moving off topic.

Feel free to do things however suits your own preferences but I'm merely adding an option you'd see professionals doing all the time.

Your post implies the control arms are made of paper but that's simply an exaggeration I assume is based on theory rather than experience. I've never witnessed anything like you've described and I'm dealer trained with many years behind me.

Ultimately, do it how best suits you.
Show me the Honda documentation showing the front lower control arms (not directly under the knuckle) are an accepted form of lifting a 10th gen Civic.

I'll wait.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Show me the Honda documentation showing the front lower control arms (not directly under the knuckle) are an accepted form of lifting a 10th gen Civic.

I'll wait.
Are you a mechanic? I'm not gonna spoon feed you.

My suggestion was for the OP anyway so no worries, you don't have to take any of my suggestions.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Are you a mechanic? I'm not gonna spoon feed you.

My suggestion was for the OP anyway so no worries, you don't have to take any of my suggestions.
This isn't spoon feeding. If you're making a claim a specific place is safe to lift the vehicle from, back it up with the Honda documentation showing it.
Sponsored