Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Better safe than sorry! I remember my first time getting under a car, I had jack stands and all but it's still a scary experience.

Two jack stands, wheel chocks, first gear and handbrake later and I feel much better going under. My dad also always advocated that if you had to change a tire on the side of the road, use the tire as a jack stand and place it under the car while you install the spare. This way if the car goes down, you still have your tire to hold it up.
To the credit of your dad, the current Honda civic manual also advocates putting the wheel under the car when changing a tire. Likewise, proably almost all roadside tire changing how-to's.

Ramps are the safest and the simplest to use, but some people feel uncomfortable getting on them. In addition the civic is too low/long in the front to get on standard ramps without scraping some underbody parts. But at least all those great drivers on the forum who heel-toe all the way to the grocery store, should be able to easily and masterfully hop on the ramps.;)

Another issue is level ground. Many driveways are at least slightly sloping and at some point it becomes problematic to lift and support a car on a slope.
Sponsored

JDFenix28

First Name
Eber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Better safe than sorry! I remember my first time getting under a car, I had jack stands and all but it's still a scary experience.

Two jack stands, wheel chocks, first gear and handbrake later and I feel much better going under. My dad also always advocated that if you had to change a tire on the side of the road, use the tire as a jack stand and place it under the car while you install the spare. This way if the car goes down, you still have your tire to hold it up.
Thats what i do. Always use the tire has an extra safety precaution. I bought jack stands and lift because the hell with the oem crap

GreaseCrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 "Clifford" Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2015 Civic EX 5MT
Country flag
To the credit of your dad, the current Honda civic manual also advocates putting the wheel under the car when changing a tire. Likewise, proably almost all roadside tire changing how-to's.

Ramps are the safest and the simplest to use, but some people feel uncomfortable getting on them. In addition the civic is too low/long in the front to get on standard ramps without scraping some underbody parts. But at least all those great drivers on the forum who heel-toe all the way to the grocery store, should be able to easily and masterfully hop on the ramps.;)

Another issue is level ground. Many driveways are at least slightly sloping and at some point it becomes problematic to lift and support a car on a slope.
Last time I tried getting on ramps, it scraped my front lip on my HB Sport lol. Still working on the heel-toe haha, just lowered the brakes but man, is the placement funky :'(
Sponsored