Diamond Ned

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
A friend of mine asked me just yesterday what the point of a jack stand is "since you already have the jack that comes with the car". Gonna show him this... as if I want my life in the hands of a single piston.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
People buy a car they can't afford and then there's no money left over to waste on lifting gear? Maybe if floor jacks were available at $9.99 and stands at 99 cents a pair.... The Chinese stuff is too expensive, maybe Somalia or Zimbabwe could make them for affordable prices.

Last edited:

HalfBreed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Sedan, 2.0 CVT
Country flag
Yikes. My worst fear, as someone who wants to do their own oil changes. This is my first brand new car, and I've been thinking that I want to do my own oil changes after having some bad experiences in the past at some chain store oil change garages, and not wanting to pay an arm and a leg for a Honda dealer to do it. I do all the basic maintenance, including oil changes, on my motorcycle, but haven't done an oil change on a car before.

I know it probably sounds redundant to most, but when it comes time to change my Civic's oil, I will be getting ramps and then also using jack stands as a backup. I'm too paranoid. Lol.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Yikes. My worst fear, as someone who wants to do their own oil changes. This is my first brand new car, and I've been thinking that I want to do my own oil changes after having some bad experiences in the past at some chain store oil change garages, and not wanting to pay an arm and a leg for a Honda dealer to do it. I do all the basic maintenance, including oil changes, on my motorcycle, but haven't done an oil change on a car before.

I know it probably sounds redundant to most, but when it comes time to change my Civic's oil, I will be getting ramps and then also using jack stands as a backup. I'm too paranoid. Lol.
Wheel chock too my friend! Don’t want your car to roll backwards on you

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Glad the guy is OK. On a side note, I've done tons of oil changes but never in sandals or flip flops. :cool:

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Geez. I’ll be doing my own oil changes under the supervision of my dad. He’s always done my oil changes and luckily he has ramps I can use so when it comes that time, I’ll be doing them myself. And yes, don’t forget about those wheel chocks. They cole in handy! Luckily my parents yard is grass but still use them just in case.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Oh the irony. Now this page is showing me ads for sandals. :)

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I only put on my flip flops when climbing ladders, mowing grass, and changing oil. :cool:

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
have done many oil changes barefoot in my garage,even a center link in my old 1966 pontiac.but never without jackstands,that would make me nervous...

GreaseCrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 "Clifford" Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2015 Civic EX 5MT
Country flag

Better safe than sorry! I remember my first time getting under a car, I had jack stands and all but it's still a scary experience.

Two jack stands, wheel chocks, first gear and handbrake later and I feel much better going under. My dad also always advocated that if you had to change a tire on the side of the road, use the tire as a jack stand and place it under the car while you install the spare. This way if the car goes down, you still have your tire to hold it up.

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' BBP Type-R/20'MX-5, Recaro, Brembo, Bose/19' GLC63 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lucky guy!
Sponsored