amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
It's that time again...7K and 20 percent left on the MM for an oil change and another oil analysis. I wanted to let the MM go down to 10 percent and eek out 8 or 9K, but unfortunately I have a trip to SoCal next week and because of the extreme speeds and conditions I will be putting the car thru, plus the fact that I don't know when I will have a chance next to service her, I decided to get it changed today and collect an oil sample.

I am really curious about the condition of the oil on this change interval, as between February and now I really put a lot of miles and stress on the engine, much more than from my last oil change. I had to make several trips between Northern and Southern California, plus I had to do a ton of stop and go driving in LA traffic (driving in LA traffic for 1 week alone made the MM go down 10 percent!).

So these are the questions I am hoping to answer:

How well did the engine oil hold up after 7K of extreme driving conditions
How much more mileage could I have gotten out the current oil
How much did it break down
Fuel dilution and engine wear metals
Does the current oil I am using sufficiently protect my engine

The current oil I am using is Idemitsu 0W20 ZEPRO. I will be sending my sample this time to Blackstone labs

***EDIT***

The oil analysis has been uploaded, you can find it in one of the later posts
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Today I received my oil analysis from Blackstone Labs. I want to again state that the oil sent in had 7K of extremely hard driving. Everything looks great, oil dilution is 100 percent not an issue with my car. Also for those who have concerns using 0W20 in this engine, have no fears. They also suggest I go 8K before my next oil change. PLEASE NOTE: they got my mileage wrong (it should have been 7,600), I have emailed them to correct this on the report

Honda Civic 10th gen It's time again for an oil change and another Oil Analysis- Done and UPLOADED Oil Analysis2019.JPG

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you have rev-hang disabled or enabled during these 7k?

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you have rev-hang disabled or enabled during these 7k?
Rev hang is enabled. I hate it disabled, it causes the rpm's to drop to fast between shifts causing a slight jolt

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Rev hang is enabled. I hate it disabled, it causes the rpm's to drop to fast between shifts causing a slight jolt
Interesting... I don’t feel the jolt when upshifting but I feel it when I’m in boost range cruising and then let off gas. The car will lurch and jolt for a second and if I blip the gas again and let go, it will do it again.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Interesting... I don’t feel the jolt when upshifting but I feel it when I’m in boost range cruising and then let off gas. The car will lurch and jolt for a second and if I blip the gas again and let go, it will do it again.
I prefer rev hang, I got so used to it that it doesn't bother me at all. I really hated driving when it was disabled

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel this. I was debating turning it back on since I also got use to it. I feel it's perfect when shifting between 2500-3000 anything above 2nd gear with rev-hang disabled

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I feel this. I was debating turning it back on since I also got use to it. I feel it's perfect when shifting between 2500-3000 anything above 2nd gear with rev-hang disabled
Another benefit of having rev hang enabled is that you don't get oil blow back when you release the accelerator. When releasing the accelerator, it causes a vacuum in the engine sucking unburnt oil and fumes into the exhaust. Rev hang prevents this

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Another benefit of having rev hang enabled is that you don't get oil blow back when you release the accelerator. When releasing the accelerator, it causes a vacuum in the engine sucking unburnt oil and fumes into the exhaust. Rev hang prevents this
I have a catch can already for this but if it'll prevent it more then I'll deal with it and re-enable

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Do you think this can affect fuel trims? I'm having wide fluctuations on my fuel trims and my STFT jumps all over the place from -20% to 18%. The fluctuations also seem to happen when I blip the accelerator within boost range.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you think this can affect fuel trims? I'm having wide fluctuations on my fuel trims and my STFT jumps all over the place from -20% to 18%. The fluctuations also seem to happen when I blip the accelerator within boost range.
I am unfortunately not knowledgeable enough to answer that. Maybe @charleswrivers can weigh in

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am unfortunately not knowledgeable enough to answer that. Maybe @charleswrivers can weigh in
Ha! Nope. Fuel trims are not my thing. Thanks for the vote of confidence though. There's definitely a few guys on here that have done datalogs and tweaked basemaps to dial them in as they desired though. Hopefully someone will chime in shortly.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ha! Nope. Fuel trims are not my thing. Thanks for the vote of confidence though. There's definitely a few guys on here that have done datalogs and tweaked basemaps to dial them in as they desired though. Hopefully someone will chime in shortly.
Your welcome. Thought I would give it a try!
Sponsored