It's time again for an oil change and another Oil Analysis- Done and UPLOADED

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
STFTs are always all over the place. Pretty useless to try monitoring them unless you are tuning. LTFTs are what you should keep an eye on day to day.
Sponsored

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
STFTs are always all over the place. Pretty useless to try monitoring them unless you are tuning. LTFTs are what you should keep an eye on day to day.
@ne0guri is this the answer you were looking for?

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
@ne0guri is this the answer you were looking for?
I don’t believe so... because 27Won has an article and it even states that STFTs should still be within a range but mine seems to exceed those ranges by a lot. I’ve messaged Derek to see if he could assist.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
neat! My car is at 35k miles and I just had a 10k miles OCI.

I just recovered the oil from changing it last night and shipped it off to Blackstone last night too. I had my oil dilution recall done 16k miles ago, and my oil at the last change 10k miles ago did not have any oil dilution, and the previous change before that also.

Actually, the oil dilution was never a problem for me, even in Ohio winters, because I always drove every day for work over 30 miles, so my car was well warmed up, and running at operating temps for enough time to never have fuel build up in my oil and stay there. The recall didn't really fix anything for me because my driving habit prevented the problem ever occurring

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
neat! My car is at 35k miles and I just had a 10k miles OCI.

I just recovered the oil from changing it last night and shipped it off to Blackstone last night too. I had my oil dilution recall done 16k miles ago, and my oil at the last change 10k miles ago did not have any oil dilution, and the previous change before that also.

Actually, the oil dilution was never a problem for me, even in Ohio winters, because I always drove every day for work over 30 miles, so my car was well warmed up, and running at operating temps for enough time to never have fuel build up in my oil and stay there. The recall didn't really fix anything for me because my driving habit prevented the problem ever occurring
That's great to hear. Please share your the results of your oil analysis, I am interested on seeing the oil condition at 10K. The oil dilution issue mainly affects those who drive short distances, so it's good to know that you drive enough in the winter where it is not an issue

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I don’t believe so... because 27Won has an article and it even states that STFTs should still be within a range but mine seems to exceed those ranges by a lot. I’ve messaged Derek to see if he could assist.
27won's article says +/- 15% for STFTs, but it is constantly fluctuating back and forth, unlike LTFT.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There was one last thing I wanted to add to this thread. The oil filter I use is the Honda OEM I bought in bulk off of Amazon, Part number 15400-PLM-A02. Although I have been told that these are crappy oil filters, it properly filtered contaminants out and kept the oil clean for the 7K it was in service. I bought them in a pack of 5 and paid $5.95 each. Unless there is a compelling reason, I don't think spending more on a "premium" oil filter is really necessary. Also the K&N air filter I use kept contaminants out of the oil as well

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
There was one last thing I wanted to add to this thread. The oil filter I use is the Honda OEM I bought in bulk off of Amazon, Part number 15400-PLM-A02. Although I have been told that these are crappy oil filters, it properly filtered contaminants out and kept the oil clean for the 7K it was in service. I bought them in a pack of 5 and paid $5.95 each. Unless there is a compelling reason, I don't think spending more on a "premium" oil filter is really necessary. Also the K&N air filter I use kept contaminants out of the oil as well
I always stick with hondas oem oil filters as well. Expensive after market oil filters, imo, are a total waste of money.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Today I received my oil analysis from Blackstone Labs. I want to again state that the oil sent in had 7K of extremely hard driving. Everything looks great, oil dilution is 100 percent not an issue with my car. Also for those who have concerns using 0W20 in this engine, have no fears. They also suggest I go 8K before my next oil change. PLEASE NOTE: they got my mileage wrong (it should have been 7,600), I have emailed them to correct this on the report

Oil Analysis2019.JPG
Thanks for this. I’m waiting for the MM haters (I’m not one of them) to tear it apart.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for this. I’m waiting for the MM haters (I’m not one of them) to tear it apart.
Hey, they can't argue with scientific data

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hey, they can't argue with scientific data
I agree, but you’d be surprised. It’s usually the “I’ve always changed my oil every 3000 miles / 3 months since 1940, I’m a mechanic, I take care of my engines, no MM is going to know better than me, etc.”.

My argument is that the MM was created by the engineers that built the engine, so I’m happy to follow it. But it is nice to see the scientific data. So, thanks again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I agree, but you’d be surprised. It’s usually the “I’ve always changed my oil every 3000 miles / 3 months since 1940, I’m a mechanic, I take care of my engines, no MM is going to know better than me, etc.”.

My argument is that the MM was created by the engineers that built the engine, so I’m happy to follow it. But it is nice to see the scientific data. So, thanks again.
Well, if people want to change their oil every 3K, that's fine with me, it's only hurting their wallets. If you are tracking your car every weekend for 3 or 4 hours in 90 degree heat, I would maybe agree, even then I would want to see an oil analysis to see if it's justified. So far the MM has been right on spot, I could have waited another 1000 miles

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Another benefit of having rev hang enabled is that you don't get oil blow back when you release the accelerator. When releasing the accelerator, it causes a vacuum in the engine sucking unburnt oil and fumes into the exhaust. Rev hang prevents this
So what is the long term damage if rev hang is disabled? How did you find out about this?

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So what is the long term damage if rev hang is disabled? How did you find out about this?
This is only an assumption on my part. Because this is a smaller displacement high compression engine with the power band at the lower end, you would be putting a lot of stress on it going into redline. People who have moved the redline to 7000 rpm have also moved the power band from 2800 to 4000 rpm (Eman is an example). I would have to assume that Honda set the fuel cutoff at certain RPM's (just before redline) as a protective measure. Of course this could be being over cautious on their part as well. One of the repercussions could be bent rods or possibly a fuel or oil pump failing, as what happened to MAPerformance's 500 whp Si build
Sponsored