jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
For those of us in the West, we are on fire. Our skies have been orange for the past week and our cars are covered in ash. It's so bad that I can feel the ash in my throat when I walk from my front door to my work car about 20ft away. It's that bad. My Si is not my daily and is garaged, so I' haven't driven it out of fear that it'll jack up my new Mishimoto intake. They use oiled filters, and with it being new, I'm concerned about it getting clogged up too soon.

Is this a valid concern? I've searched this forum for how to care for them, but those threads turn into a thread about oiled vs. dry filters so I'm hoping this thread doesn't go down that path. YouTube talks about the 15k-20K mark and washing them with soap and re-oiling. So my question is if there are interim cleaning methods between oiling sessions for the harsh environment I'm currently in.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

chriser0

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Yes its a valid concern. Ash will dirty the filter faster, dry or oiled it wont mater. also don't forget about your cabin filter. They will get gross too. Avoid driving your si if you can. You could try blowing it out in between washes but its not recommended and you should probably just wash when its dirty. On the side about oiled vs non oiled filters, cars like ours with MAF tend to have issues in the long term with oiled filters and thats why many people wont recommend them. They do clean the air better, but can cause a film on the MAF that will skew readings or cause premature failure.
Hope this helps, and stay safe out there.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
As long as you don’t over oil the filter, you’ll be fine. The reason why a MAF sensor gets dirty is because of over oiling the filter.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
My Si is my daily and I am with my stock filter. I understand your concern, if you have another car then don't drive Si. if you don't have other option just drive it and clean the filter sooner. I am ok with replacing filter if it needs it as stock filter is around $20-25 anyway

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Get one of those covers that are water resistant and cover filter. Way easier to clean after a drive. Forgot the actual name havent slept in 2 days ?

OP
OP
jason510

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Get one of those covers that are water resistant and cover filter. Way easier to clean after a drive. Forgot the actual name havent slept in 2 days ?
I'm having a hard time picturing this. Anybody else know what's being described here?