It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit!

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
Yessir, those are indeed the EBC blanks! I've received info that the black coating is their V2 rotor which will soon be replaced by their V3 which is more of a matte grey/silver coating. My understanding is the new coating is even more durable and they changed the color because they were getting complaints that the black didn't match typical factory silver rotor color...
When will the v3 rotors be available for purchase? Would like to see those before pulling the trigger.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Austin@Wunderladen Racing
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
When will the v3 rotors be available for purchase? Would like to see those before pulling the trigger.
EBC can't tell us. I would imagine that they'll start shipping V3 after the V2 inventory is gone. Functionally it is no different and the V3 is just a basic grey/silver color similar to a lot of Geomet coated rotors.

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
EBC can't tell us. I would imagine that they'll start shipping V3 after the V2 inventory is gone. Functionally it is no different and the V3 is just a basic grey/silver color similar to a lot of Geomet coated rotors.
Ok thanks Austin. Will order non-EBC rotors from somewhere else then. Just put in my order now with red calipers and redstuff pads. An early father's day gift to myself... :lol:

Edit: Ended up ordering centric high carbon plain rotors for $177 shipped

Last edited:
OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Ok thanks Austin. Will order non-EBC rotors from somewhere else then. Just put in my order now with red calipers and redstuff pads. An early father's day gift to myself... :lol:

Edit: Ended up ordering centric high carbon plain rotors for $177 shipped
Wish I could give a better answer, but we're at EBC's mercy for that. Centric high carbons are great rotors as well. I've used them on multiple cars with great results!

Is this plug n play for hatchbacks or do I need si heatshields?
Yes, this is bolt on for hatchbacks as well! Si heat shields are not required but would cover the rotor a bit better than the non Si heatshield. I likely wouldn't bother changing them out unless you're tearing that far into the knuckle for other reasons.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Received my WR BBK kit rotors over the weekend, and was pleasantly surprised at what I found and figured I would share my findings. These are the "EBC Blank" rotors offered as an add-on to the kit--and at a bundled price that is a _steal_ compared to retail for the same rotors bought separately, I will add.

I figured I would compare the BBK rotors to the Centric 120 Series blanks in the stock Si size I have been using as track equipment up to this point. The centric casting is also used for some (all?) of the "Stoptech" offerings in the stock Si size, but ymmv. I have not ever bought or handled any EBC rotors in the stock Si size--so can't comment of some of these features are available in the EBC Si offerings.

Comparing the main dimensions, I measured the rotor faces of the EBC rotors (~7.3mm) to be about 12% thicker than the Centric Si rotor (6.5mm), but the cooling channel in the middle of the rotor was 25% bigger on the EBC Rotor (15.2mm) compared to the Centric Si rotor 12.1mm).

PXL_20230520_133146252.jpg

I don't see EBC mention "pillar vane" in any of their marketing materials, but the vanes are definitely more round and varied in size, with the largest EBC vanes/pillars being quite substantial and looking ready for some abuse.

Also, the EBC casting is completely open and vented on the back (inboard) side, whereas the centric just has some holes from the backside and is more open on the front (wheel spoke) side

WR Kit/EBC Rotor backside:

PXL_20230520_132811235.jpg

Centric 120 Series Si Rotor backside:
PXL_20230520_133236777.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Overall the EBC offering looks like a quality set of rotors. Makes the Centric Si rotors look very much "economy car" in comparison. Was pleasantly surprised by some of the features not captured by the pure numbers/specs, so figured I would share.
350Z disc's have 93 pillars inside.You can see this on the brembo aftermarket list.
Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! 5104316d-2d3a-47a6-8c16-bbabf32a9bed

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Received all the parts today and everything looks very high quality and well done. My previous bbk was a stoptech kit I tracked on my former 350z and this kit reminds me a lot of that. Extremely impressed thus far and at a fair price. Well done WR! Will try to install the kit next Fri when i have some free time. Have a great Memorial Day weekend.

Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! IMG_3836

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Thanks so much for your support! Feel free to reach out with any questions. Aiming to get the install guide up on the site later this coming week.

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks so much for your support! Feel free to reach out with any questions. Aiming to get the install guide up on the site later this coming week.
Can you take some weight measurements of a caliper, two pads, and the hardware required for one side? I’m assuming you have a more precise scale than my bathroom scale. If the numbers I got are indeed valid or close this would be another great selling point for the kit that hasn’t been advertised yet.

With one EBC caliper, 2 EBC red stuff pads, the bracket, and hardware I measured 8.2 lbs. Add in one SS brake line and I’m assuming it’s less than half a pound so say a total of 8.8 lbs per corner. That’s an immense savings of unsprung weight compared to OE. The 324x30 350z one piece rotor is heavier at 20.5 lbs however. Even then that’s still 3 lbs shaven per side on an Si! On lower trims I’m guessing little to no weight savings but at least no added weight.

SI OE caliper per corner = 15.24lbs
SI OE rotor per corner = 17.08lbs

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Can you take some weight measurements of a caliper, two pads, and the hardware required for one side? I’m assuming you have a more precise scale than my bathroom scale. If the numbers I got are indeed valid or close this would be another great selling point for the kit that hasn’t been advertised yet.

With one EBC caliper, 2 EBC red stuff pads, the bracket, and hardware I measured 8.2 lbs. Add in one SS brake line and I’m assuming it’s less than half a pound so say a total of 8.8 lbs per corner. That’s an immense savings of unsprung weight compared to OE. The 324x30 350z one piece rotor is heavier at 20.5 lbs however. Even then that’s still 3 lbs shaven per side on an Si! On lower trims I’m guessing little to no weight savings but at least no added weight.

SI OE caliper per corner = 15.24lbs
SI OE rotor per corner = 17.08lbs
That's all pretty on par with what I've measured. The hose weight is basically a wash, and each loaded caliper with the bracket is right around 8lbs. Rotor weight is 20-21lbs for most 1 piece rotors so there's a 3-4 pound weight savings over stock, with a 2 piece rotor the total weight goes from 28-29 to 23-24lbs per corner.

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did a test fit earlier today and ran into some issues. The first one was easy to fix as the Si dust shield was making contact with the thicker 350z rotor in some spots. Had to bend it back along the entire length of the shield for the most part. Then the corners of the shield closest to the EBC caliper on top and bottom were very close so I just curled the corners back to give adequate clearance. No problems there and no cutting necessary.

The major issue that prevented me from going forward with full installation was that I could not get the wheel back on fully seated and flat with the rotor very easily or possibly not at all. After struggling with it for a bit I took some measurements of the lip that protudes out of the rotor hat which inserts into the wheel bore. See pic with the arrow for reference. With the 350z rotor compared to stock there was 1-2 mm less of space for the wheel to sit on. Using a digital caliper I measured the thickness of the rotor hat that touches the hub in the back and the wheel in front. The 350z rotor was about 1.5 mm thicker compared to Si rotor. So would that loss of 1-2mm explain why I can’t get the wheel to sit flush against thre rotor?

With some struggle and using my feet to assist, I was able to push the wheel into a good enough position of alignment where I was able to thread on a few lugs by hand with no resistance. At least I was able to confirm that my wheels clear with about 4mm of spoke gap. But I am not comfortable installing the kit until I can resolve this issue due to safety. Hopefully Austin can chime in. Other than that, the kit is very nice and the parts fit together nicely. The rotor was centered inside the caliper, there was no pad overhang, and the rotor rotated freely. Bummed that i couldn’t do the install today but don’t want to force anything. Just put the stock rotor and caliper back on and the wheel had no issue being seated.

Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! IMG_3864

Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! IMG_3863

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
350z rotor hat is very thick and is 7.5mm thick.The stock si rotor hat is around 5.5mm thick. That's why you have less of the wheel hub sticking out.Allthough you still should have enough to center your wheel on.
What hub centric rings are you using?

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
350z rotor hat is very thick and is 7.5mm thick.The stock si rotor hat is around 5.5mm thick. That's why you have less of the wheel hub sticking out.Allthough you still should have enough to center your wheel on.
What hub centric rings are you using?
It’s a plastic one that came with the wheels. The hub bore size is 72.6 on the wheel. I took off the hub centric ring and still had the same issue. Maybe I was doing something wrong???