RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag
That's a real bummer. Keep in my mind, the first years of every new car model, will have fit and finish issues. Early adopters like us, are beta testers, lol.
You speak so much truth, that everyone over looks. We chose to be first gen turbo testers and refresh testing on the interior/exterior.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Robotaz

Robotaz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
I forgot to add one of the most important concerns. I had a driveline vibration that persisted even after rotating the tires. I suspected I had the bent axle like another ā€˜18 Si owner here experienced. Itā€™s a nightmare getting dealers to address that stuff and I just wasnā€™t up for the battle. My ā€˜14 Si coupe had a bad vibration turning corners with only a couple thousand miles and the dealer blew me off over and over.

Iā€™ve had bad luck on the last two. I wish I had my ā€˜11 Si coupe back. But even it had this horrific knock in the front passenger suspension on big bumps. And of course it rattled. But it was mechanically perfect other than that and ran like a bat out of hell.

Anyway. I just wanted to add that because it was a big factor and I totally spaced it yesterday.

OP
OP
Robotaz

Robotaz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
A Murano is not even close to what Si is. You don't jump between the two unless you bought the wrong car to begin with.

Sounds like a lemon mixed with some regret. Some of these issues you point out should have been very apparent before you signed on the dotted line like mismatched paint. Bitching about turbo lag? What turbo lag? It's a joke to talk about turbo lag in these engines when the old NA Vtec engines needed to revved above 4k to hit peak HP and torque.

If you want to talk about fit and finish, how about the interior door panels and trim falling off my friend's Mustang after 3 years. That's bad fit and finish.
If you know how to drive you can keep the old Si K20 above 6K and it runs like a beast. This turbo engine is basically like trying to do what you want two seconds from when you want it.

Iā€™ve had at least 25 sports cars over the years, including a 928 S4 that was brand new. I know cars and I know how to drive. This engine is not nearly as fun as the 8th gen. It just isnā€™t. Yes it gets way better gas mileage and thatā€™s a big plus. This conversation isnā€™t about the 8th gen though.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
A Murano is not even close to what Si is. You don't jump between the two unless you bought the wrong car to begin with.

Sounds like a lemon mixed with some regret. Some of these issues you point out should have been very apparent before you signed on the dotted line like mismatched paint. Bitching about turbo lag? What turbo lag? It's a joke to talk about turbo lag in these engines when the old NA Vtec engines needed to revved above 4k to hit peak HP and torque.

If you want to talk about fit and finish, how about the interior door panels and trim falling off my friend's Mustang after 3 years. That's bad fit and finish.
You are forgetting one important aspect of those cars. Their transmission ratios were more aggressive than the current SI. Meaning that it will get to 4K quicker. Also they felt powerless on the top end like most current turbocharged sportcompacts. My old K20 2009 SI easily walked away from cars with twice the torque. Those high rev engines were wonderful.

Guys remember is a civic not a freaking acura RLX.
Is one of the entry level cars of Honda with a more powerful engine and suspension.
It will rattle, it will have imperfections and it will have lag like most turbocharged cars.

Last edited:

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Turbo lag? There is some delay in spooling after you shift gears but really thats not turbo lag. This turbo spools fast as hell. No rattles here. Enjoy the Murano?
Totally agree with this. Sounds like the OP got both a lemon and buyer's regret all in the same package. I've no rattles, etc., with mine and I have almost 17,000 miles. Granted my front bumper isn't 100% seated perfectly but it's a sub-$25,000 car... I didn't expect luxury car fit-and-finish.

As far as turbo lag, the Civic Si has very little.... at least compared to other cars. I test-drove a Subaru WRX and a WRX STi on Monday. The STi, much to my surprise, felt anemic under acceleration. The WRX had more low-end punch but neither car pinned me back in my seat like my Si does. This is because both the WRX and the STi have very large turbos that take a long time to spool up. Also, both cars' torque doesn't come online until much higher in the RPM range, at least in comparison to the Si. I was very, very surprised - especially at the price point of both of those cars - that they didn't feel faster. I read reviews about both cars, especially the STi, and they all said that you really have to wring out those engines (again, especially the STi) to get the performance out of them. I don't have to do that with my Si. Both cars were quickly eliminated from contention (have been thinking about trading the Si coupe for a 4-door).

Nothing out there comes close to bang/buck on the Civic Si.

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I agree with a lot of what you say. Mine is not quite as bad but I am Not satisfied. Turbo lag, unfix able front suspension clunking, shitty dealer experiences, squeaky seat. Slow, inferior display audio, no climate control knobs, audio system sounds the same as a 1995 civic despite its "premium" name. Yeah they got a lot right, but they got a lot wrong too.

Honda rested on its laurels for too long. Even Hyundai and Kia have far better interiors now. Sad.

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
7,000 miles into my civic and its perfect. No rattling for me, no broken trims, nothing quality wise. If you invested in k tuner/hondata that would have opened up the car more. If you don't wanna invest into something like that well then I guess the Murano will give you that feeling. Its a 20,000 (1.5L engine with a baby turbo) car not a high end german car. A lot of things people are complaining about they can replace aftermarket wise. If its a lease, I wouldn't even be complaining. Ive owed many Honda's is this buy far is my favorite. Your not gonna find many options in this si compared to a lot of car manufacture. Sounds like a lemon and regret, I would have been contacting BBB and filing complaints and documenting everything..

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
That's a real bummer. Keep in my mind, the first years of every new car model, will have fit and finish issues. Early adopters like us, are beta testers, lol.
we definitely are. but hey, its better to be beta testers for a car than to be beta male orbiters...

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good thing is this a rare occurrence to have a Honda with so much wrong with it. I would love to be the fly on the wall and followed this car from assembly to ownership and see all the contributing factors causing these issues.

VooDoo1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Sounds like buyers remorse and the rattles are just an excuse. Why buy a sporty, fun to drive, reliable, economical, affordable car when you really want a boxy SUV? The Murano probably fits in better dropping the kiddos off at soccer practice.

See ya.
Sponsored