It only lasted 2,670 miles...

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
A Murano is not even close to what Si is. You don't jump between the two unless you bought the wrong car to begin with.

Sounds like a lemon mixed with some regret. Some of these issues you point out should have been very apparent before you signed on the dotted line like mismatched paint. Bitching about turbo lag? What turbo lag? It's a joke to talk about turbo lag in these engines when the old NA Vtec engines needed to revved above 4k to hit peak HP and torque.

If you want to talk about fit and finish, how about the interior door panels and trim falling off my friend's Mustang after 3 years. That's bad fit and finish.
Have you driven the 1.5 Si? There's a lot of lag below 3k, actually ruins the car for me. So I get what he is saying about the lag. Other then that, I agree with maybe buyers regret on the Si.
Sponsored

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Have you driven the 1.5 Si? There's a lot of lag below 3k, actually ruins the car for me. So I get what he is saying about the lag. Other then that, I agree with maybe buyers regret on the Si.
I'm not a turbo expert, but if you jam on the pedal at that low of RPM, I don't think it's turbo lag that's stopping you. It's being out of the powerband and probably being in too high a gear. I found the accelerator to be very responsive in a Si.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
No turbo lag for me below 3000 RPM. It pulls quite strong from about 2500.

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
I'm not a turbo expert, but if you jam on the pedal at that low of RPM, I don't think it's turbo lag that's stopping you. It's being out of the powerband and probably being in too high a gear. I found the accelerator to be very responsive in a Si.
I would say that is lag which goes hand in hand with the powerband on the 1.5. I had a 1.8 TSi golf and that car pulled hard from 1500rpm fell off at 5500rmp. When I drove the Si, it pulled from lets say 2800-3000 to 5000k and the fun was done. Very boring. I've had many car from 14 Si, 16 civic k20 and 18 4 motion TSI golf. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great design in terms of suspension and looks but the engine is plain boring for me.

Vtisi4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
I will take pictures of some owners that have spent. Tons of money repairing their Muranos. From air conditioners to transfer cases, you name it.

clutchfear

First Name
craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 dodge avenger , previous 2013 dodge dart manual
Country flag
These conversations don't sound as good as the typical "image" that the name Honda conjures up. So, I suppose that all the talk about "value for money" is the same old excuse for why Corvettes are such a good value. In other words, you get what you pay for in the final analysis . But the idea that Honda engines are what you're paying for (instead of all around build quality) seems to have lost some of it's shine. How long can manufacturers continue to blame turbocharging and direct injection (efficiency demons) for all the issues you hear about ? Wonder how long Toyota will continue to avoid turbos in the name of being "trouble free" in the engine dept.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
whats disappointing about our si's is how underpowered and slow they are stock. the factory tune is really sucky sucky.

we have to flash with aftermarket maps just to have the car feel somewhat quick and even close to the competition. and the downside is we dont know how much we are shortening our engines/turbos life by doing this.

honda should have at least put a 1.8 in this gen si and a bigger turbo.

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is an old thread, but he is my go on this:
Ok so OP who now is gone from here disliked the Si and had his complaints on it. I get it. My thoughts is what were you looking to get into? Yes the Si is now just a sport version model of the Civic much like how the old SER and now Nismo are to the Sentra.
I can't complain much because this is what my budget can afford now. It was either my Si sedan or the Corolla hatchback or something else and less. I could have maybe gone for the 86, but have 2 kids and 4 doors are more practical.
In the end I found out that tuning will weaken the clutch prematurely and that sucks, but what am I gonna do. I love the car and it is a step up from my 2014 Jetta that had the 2.0 slow engine. Although I had it on BCracing coilovers the car looked sharp and handled very well since I corner balanced lol. Yes I corner balanced it.
You want more car you got to throw in more $$$ know what i mean.

And some of you guys here are savages lol...

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
whats disappointing about our si's is how underpowered and slow they are stock. the factory tune is really sucky sucky.

we have to flash with aftermarket maps just to have the car feel somewhat quick and even close to the competition. and the downside is we dont know how much we are shortening our engines/turbos life by doing this.

honda should have at least put a 1.8 in this gen si and a bigger turbo.
Honda made it clearly known that they focused on suspension improvements on this gen Si. They know the 1.5 has a lot more power over what they released it with, but it’s detuned from the factory for “reliability” reasons. It has been discovered that the reliability reason is the clutch. They haven’t really increased the price of the Si much over the years and it is still the only car in its class with an active suspension.

nickhaldin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan; 1997 Mazda Miata
I also feel like some were pretty hard on OP. Although I disagree with almost everything he said, what he experienced was HIS experience...I can understand being upset at SOME of those things.

MY experience (and I think the majority with a 10th gen) has been nothing but good, especially where fit and finish is concerned, and especially considering it’s a 25k and under car. I get some buzz when I’m cranking the stereo and the sub is kicking, but eh. That’s kind of expected. I mean, when I look at the car I don’t think “wow, those panel gaps are crazy!” Or “I hear the road so much!” I think, wow this car drives amazing, it’s quieter than my last civic, it didn’t break the bank, it gets crazy gas mileage, and with 2k miles on it no problems. Sooooo...:dunno:

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I have the same issues with rattles, vibrations, noises, inconsistent body panel fitment and a number of odd thunks and mechanical sounds under the car (clutch, trans, suspension, engine mounts? etc.).

Yes this is a somewhat cheap car but my 2011 mazdaspeed 3 had none of these issues. That car was about $22k OTD so it was also on the low end of cost. My 2 old Toyotas fit & finish are light years above the civic (2008 and 2010!) in terms of perceived build quality.

With that said i'm still planning on driving the Si into the ground and hope it lasts a couple 100k miles. Provided the rattles and vibrations don't get so bad I can't hear the radio... i'll put up with these minor gripes to get such a fun to drive car for relatively little money.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Have you ever driven any other Si? I can't imagine the B16 or k20 versions were exactly in full gallop at 3k. I'm also willing to bet that the 1.5T in the current Si is way better in the lower RPM range, even with this supposed perceived "lag".

With that said i'm still planning on driving the Si into the ground and hope it lasts a couple 100k miles. Provided the rattles and vibrations don't get so bad I can't hear the radio... i'll put up with these minor gripes to get such a fun to drive car for relatively little money.
I really don't get these kinds of threads. This Si is a great car for the money or even just without that qualifier. I'll be the first to admit, my car has interior rattles from the plastic trim pieces (especially with the music on at certain volumes) but do you think I'd rather be in any other car in this price range? Hell no.

All I hear on here are people justifying poor decisions. I'll be driving this thing until the wheels fall off at which point I'll probably put them back on again.

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I really don't get these kinds of threads. This Si is a great car for the money or even just without that qualifier. I'll be the first to admit, my car has interior rattles from the plastic trim pieces (especially with the music on at certain volumes) but do you think I'd rather be in any other car in this price range? Hell no.

All I hear on here are people justifying poor decisions. I'll be driving this thing until the wheels fall off at which point I'll probably put them back on again.
The Si is a good car and it's really fun to drive but I do think the build quality and the fit & finish should be better. I wouldn't say those things are the most important but they're far from trivial.

With a car like this the most important thing to the majority of buyers is how it drives; and it drives great! But now the questions are: how will the car hold up over time? How long is this engine going to last? Is the oil dilution "issue" a real thing or just a handful of hysterical Honda owners? Will the rattles/vibrations continue to get worse to the point that it's incredibly annoying and distracting?

As of right now the rattles aren't THAT bad and it's definitely worth owning this car. Time will tell with all those other concerns.
Sponsored