It just went from summer to damn near winter.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Anybody plan on changing from stock tires soon? I have to get these summers off as soon as possible. Looking at all seasons. Has anyone else changed their tires out yet?
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I guess it is below 50 some mornings in the DMV. What tires are you thinking about getting?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You’re fine. I ran the summers below 32 without much trouble. They only get dicey when it gets below 20 in my experience.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You’re fine. I ran the summers below 32 without much trouble. They only get dicey when it gets below 20 in my experience.
I think that’s a bit of a stretch. Getting caught in snow or freezing rain with summer rubber could be a mistake.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think that’s a bit of a stretch. Getting caught in snow or freezing rain with summer rubber could be a mistake.
Well yeah but I’m only talking about temperatures. I dont think winter weather will be an issue for a few months. This is just a cold spell and I already see temperatures going back up to summer tire weather in a few days time.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well yeah but I’m only talking about temperatures. I dont think winter weather will be an issue for a few months. This is just a cold spell and I already see temperatures going back up to summer tire weather in a few days time.
I agree

OP
OP
Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Jury is still out on what I'm looking at getting, just always shocked how our area changes overnight. Dont know what brand of tire to get, I know I am keeping stock wheels probably planning on running 255 35 20

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Jury is still out on what I'm looking at getting, just always shocked how our area changes overnight. Dont know what brand of tire to get, I know I am keeping stock wheels probably planning on running 255 35 20
When I had my CTR I ran Continental DWS06 A/S tires and loved them. I used 245/35/20 and the added sidewall helped with the ride marginally. They still perform good too, I actually kept them on over the summer and was still able to have plenty of fun with them.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When I had my CTR I ran Continental DWS06 A/S tires and loved them. I used 245/35/20 and the added sidewall helped with the ride marginally. They still perform good too, I actually kept them on over the summer and was still able to have plenty of fun with them.
Also running DWS06 on my Si. I know the sidewall is a bit soft though, and hard cornering can lead to a little bit of roll and oversteer. But the grip exceeds expectations in all weather conditions.

On the Type R, I’d imagine the sidewall would be similar to the stock contisportcontacts in the hard cornering feel.

I think OP is just looking for winter confidence in an all-season tire and doesn’t expect to drive like he does in the summer with the summer tires. If that is the case, DWS 06 is great.

If money is no object for winter safety, then the new Michelin Pilot 4 all-season should be considered.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lot of my local R friends start to switch out their OEM wheels and tires once it hits below 45. If those don't get some heat into them before pushing it, I've seen some close call accidents.

I'm running the DWS06 on my hatch and they are a pretty good all season tire. Good in most weather conditions but on track its meh after comparing it to like the michelin as3+s.

I bought replacements for them with the new michelin as4s which are supposed to replace the as3+.

When it gets close to snowing I'll probably throw them on.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I've been running PS a/s 3+ since last October with little complaints. 265/35/18. You could say it makes the steering softer, but the 45 miles or so I drove on the stock tires, in R mode the steering wheel felt way too heavy on the stock wheel setup, especially while at a stop(on the 2020). It felt like only mechanical steering, I didn't like it, so tiresome doing a 3 point turn or parking.

I went out and drove on these the one day it actually snowed last year. While acceleration was pretty useless, the car stopped surprisingly well, like it wasn't even riding over snow. Handling was nice and controllable while still being able to fling it about.

In the summer they grip exceptionally well for what they are on twisty roads. I ran them on the dragon and the car handled it like nothing with very neutral steering and handling. I couldn't even get it to slide or understeer if I tried other than cutting the wheel super hard while at speed lol.

Their traction though under full power is a bit limited which is their downside. Especially in the rain. While their braking and handling are great in the wet, traction is a struggle and you're better off just leaving vsa on.

I've put around 20k hard miles on mine and they should last me until spring (I hope). Then I can put some proper sticky tires on for next year.

Here's a comparison of how my at the time my fronts (right) and rears looked until i finally rotated them this past weekend
Honda Civic 10th gen It just went from summer to damn near winter. IMG_20200927_185851
Sponsored