zerodark9

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
So I've had my 2016 Honda for a while now and its had a few issues here and there. The most recent was today though and I was wondering if anyone had ever seen the issue before. So, I was getting out of my car at a store and pressed the push start button to turn the car off. However, it started beeping at me like the shift was in something other than park. You might know what I mean, dash not all the way off, console still on and connected to my phone for Apple HandsFree, etc.

So, I checked that and it was fully in park. It was, turned the car on and off a few times, no change. Called up my dealer and they say to pull the battery connectors but I realized I didn't have any tools with me (like a tool myself)... So I took it to a different Honda Dealer that I was luckily just a mile away from rather than the 30 or so I was from mine. They were happy to grab a wrench and pull the cables to let the system reset. Except it was still doing it after that. The tech helping out went ahead and decided to play around with it a bit. He eventually took the key fob a good ten feet away and the car was still doing the same crap but also starting with the fob a fair distance off. In the end, he recommended I take it to my dealer.

Did so and when I got there.... back to normal. I still left it for an appointment since I don't need it at the moment but has anyone seen this with the electronics or what not of the 2016 Civic EX?
Sponsored

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
First check to see that you don't have a key fob battery low notice on the dash. I know it's kind of obvious, but you would be surprised how often this is overlooked.

After confirming the key fob battery is good, the beeping is the keyless access system not seeing a key fob. Several causes of this: bad key fob (rare) or what i have seen is the failure of the actual push button, this will usually cause a DTC on the dash though. The dealer should do an "All DTC check" on the system, usually the code hides in the background of body electrical as it's not an emissions failure. Replacing the push button fixes it.

For future, if you should get stuck and the car wont start, hold the key fob against the push button start, push the start button with the key fob touching or almost touching the push button start. This should start the vehicle. There is a short distance receiver and long distance receiver. The beeping is the long distance failure, holding the key to the push button is like a bypass.

OP
OP

zerodark9

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Turned out to be a software update according to the dealer. It hasn't done it again since so... well see what happens.
Sponsored