MSNN

First Name
Emerson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
hey, guys so I was wondering if its only me or if others are having similar issues too. i got my car in Feb brand new and at times i get locked out of 1st gear randomly after stopping I would have to either go to 2nd or 3rd gear and then it will let me back into 1st. also sometimes the gear will not fully engage and like before i have to fiddle with other gears then it will eventually let me. i have taken to service and even the guys have felt the gear sometimes not going in but the head office honda wants a video. these occurrences are random. i was wondering if i am the only one or if you guys have advice on how to deal with this
thanks in advance
Sponsored

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
I don’t have those problems, but you should consider swapping your OEM transmission fluid if you haven’t already for AC Delco friction modified.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
hey, guys so I was wondering if its only me or if others are having similar issues too. i got my car in Feb brand new and at times i get locked out of 1st gear randomly after stopping I would have to either go to 2nd or 3rd gear and then it will let me back into 1st. also sometimes the gear will not fully engage and like before i have to fiddle with other gears then it will eventually let me. i have taken to service and even the guys have felt the gear sometimes not going in but the head office honda wants a video. these occurrences are random. i was wondering if i am the only one or if you guys have advice on how to deal with this
thanks in advance
I've gotten this a few times when I had the car new. It still happens from time to time now, but it's very rare. That being said, one of the main issues could simply be how the transmission is aligning with everything as described in this Stackexhange thread (first answer). The answer also states that just having anything move in the stationary transmission will fix the issue (IE shifting into any other gear).

16LXMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6MT
Country flag
When you get locked out of 1st is it when you are stopped or rolling? Or both?

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
My old MS3 would not go into first gear unless you were coming from second. I made it a habit to go into second from neutral then into first. This was almost 10 years ago and I still do it today on every manual vehicle I drive. Seems the Honda prefers this method also.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
If you have the dealer on your side, just get it fixed by the dealer.

You could also try shifting into neutral and releasing the clutch in neutral as you're slowing down, stopping, and then shifting into 1st. A double clutch of sorts to bring the shafts to the same speed.

OP
OP

MSNN

First Name
Emerson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
so Honda has told my dealership to change my transmission completely. my dealership called and told me they are changing the transmission but not the clutch. i am someone who knows little about cars but i kind of want them to change the clutch too. i don't know if i should ask or not what do you guys think?

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You're just getting the same garbage transmission but a new one. Usually they just swap fluid and send you on your way since there's no real fix, but maybe they took yours apart and it was really bad.
I've got like 15 documents 2nd gear low speed grinds with my dash cam and they won't do anything for me. I guess you're lucky in a way but there's still a good possibility your new trans will grind and have lockouts.

OP
OP

MSNN

First Name
Emerson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
I don’t have those problems, but you should consider swapping your OEM transmission fluid if you haven’t already for AC Delco friction modified.
doesnt that void warrenty i know it might be dumb to ask?

OP
OP

MSNN

First Name
Emerson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
I've gotten this a few times when I had the car new. It still happens from time to time now, but it's very rare. That being said, one of the main issues could simply be how the transmission is aligning with everything as described in this Stackexhange thread (first answer). The answer also states that just having anything move in the stationary transmission will fix the issue (IE shifting into any other gear).
fair enough i am just worried it might cause a bigger issue down the line

OP
OP

MSNN

First Name
Emerson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
If you have the dealer on your side, just get it fixed by the dealer.

You could also try shifting into neutral and releasing the clutch in neutral as you're slowing down, stopping, and then shifting into 1st. A double clutch of sorts to bring the shafts to the same speed.
thats what i normally do so i am not sure what exactly triggers it

OP
OP

MSNN

First Name
Emerson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
You're just getting the same garbage transmission but a new one. Usually they just swap fluid and send you on your way since there's no real fix, but maybe they took yours apart and it was really bad.
I've got like 15 documents 2nd gear low speed grinds with my dash cam and they won't do anything for me. I guess you're lucky in a way but there's still a good possibility your new trans will grind and have lockouts.
that sucks they should do something about it esp when you got proof i called the head office and make a inquiry and the replies were soo much faster and got things done

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
My first FK8 would lock me out of 1st randomly. Nothing wrong with the transmission. It’s due to the tolerances in the linkages which can cause mis alignment at the shifter gate. I still get lock outs from time to time on my current FK8 but nothing too bad. Shifting from 2nd then into 1st will help.

OP
OP

MSNN

First Name
Emerson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
My first FK8 would lock me out of 1st randomly. Nothing wrong with the transmission. It’s due to the tolerances in the linkages which can cause mis alignment at the shifter gate. I still get lock outs from time to time on my current FK8 but nothing too bad. Shifting from 2nd then into 1st will help.
ohh but is it meant to only happen in 1st cuz for me i get locked out 1,3 and 4 but its random
Sponsored