Northman7699

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic 1.5 Liter Turbo
Country flag
About 8 months ago I was having some huge issues with my turbo on this vehicle and had the turbo replaced. I just started having issues with it again (less power, whirling noise etc...) The Honda dealership near me came and picked the vehicle up. They reported to me that the turbo was out again and needed to be replaced. Now they are saying that there are metal shavings that are coming from the engine and that this also needs to be replaced. In the summer of 2019 I received a letter from Honda that my vehicle now has an extra year extension/unlimited miles on my powertrain warranty do to an issue where gas was leaking into the oil. The dealership is saying that my internal engine/turbo issue is not covered under this but from my understanding it seems like it most definitely should be. Another dealership that I called confirmed that all internally lubricated parts inside of the engine should be covered but they aren't sure about the turbo. I have a very limited knowledge base concerning cars but from my understanding I would think that the internals would be covered due to the threat of having diluted oil causing extra wear on the inside of the engine. When I replaced my turbo last summer we also found a lot of metal shavings and now I'm thinking that the first turbo going out was caused by this as well. Can I get some feed back on this please?
Sponsored

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport CVT
Country flag
Metal in the oil would cause the turbo to go out. Turbo going out would cause metal shavings in the oil. So it could go either way. Make them prove to you that the turbo went out and it was unrelated to a bottom end failure. Sounds like you're gonna have to fight this like hell. But just remember that the burden of proof is on them. Sorry dude, sounds like a nightmare

OP
OP

Northman7699

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic 1.5 Liter Turbo
Country flag
I feel like they can just go on and on saying that the issue is not related to the warranty and it not be covered even though it fits the bill. I'm also not understanding how I can be covered by the powertrain warranty and if they are saying this is an internal engine issue how they can deny it.
Sponsored