Issues mounting tires

childishthing

Chief Hamster Wrangler
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (sold), 2018 Civic Type R (sold), 2020 Civic Si (current)
Country flag
Anyone had an issue swapping tires? My Honda dealer says their tire machine doesn't work with the OEM wheels on the Type R. I don't know what they mean.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Porsche GT4, 20 Civic Si, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
Country flag
This is true, The CTR Wheel takes a certain tire machine and I believe it shows what works in the owners manual.
Try your local Acura dealer, thats who mounted mine. Same machine they use on the NSX.

Honda Civic 10th gen Issues mounting tires IMG_0735.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Issues mounting tires IMG_0736.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Issues mounting tires IMG_0737.JPG

OP
OP
childishthing

childishthing

Chief Hamster Wrangler
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (sold), 2018 Civic Type R (sold), 2020 Civic Si (current)
Country flag
This is true, The CTR Wheel takes a certain tire machine and I believe it shows what works in the owners manual.
Try your local Acura dealer, thats who mounted mine. Same machine they use on the NSX.
I work at a Porsche dealership... what should I ask to find out if our tire machine will work?

THE! CrazyKiwi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like trucks coz I'm a truck guy.
Country flag
These days any major tire place should be able to do it, look for one that has a window full of stupid size wheels, they obviously have a variety of machines, one or more of which will likely do the job. There is no magic involved, these are just baby wheels compared to a lot the things they do and as long as their core business is changing tires then the operators should know what they are doing, just have the discussion first. chi town brat and I have used a regular Firestone tire store to do hers.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Porsche will have it. Even a base 911 has 20's . Honda dealer don't really do 20's . Go to any tire and wheel shop, they do 24's all day just like the above said.

DevilDoc8542

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R Polished Metal Metallic #9206, 2018 Ford F 150 Raptor Lead Foot Gray
When you go mount tires to wheels, make sure you hear the “pop” so the tire will bead to the wheel. One of my Michelin PS4S didn’t pop so we had to air it to the max, 80 psi!! And still no pop! But there was no air leak or mounting problems. I have been driving on the same set up for 2,000 miles without any problems. Luckily the Michelin’s are still under warranty.

Bumflik

First Name
Kinte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler . Sienna . Civic Type R FK8 '17
Country flag
JL Freed Honda made the $20,000 purchase for this machine near me and I just swapped the 245/30contis for general 255/35 gmax and gave me a reduced price for 13$ fee per wheel mount & balance.

OMGSIIK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 S2000, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Just wanted to add to this thread. I had recently gone in to my Honda dealership for repair of a tire due to a screw. I brought it to their attention that there was a service bulletin in regards to mounting tires. They were unable to do the service at the Honda dept., but luckily their BMW dept had the machine. I paid a bit more for the service going to the dealership than say a tire/muffler center, but it was more for my piece of mind that if Honda messed it up, I could get it straightened out quicker. Anyone needing this service should bring up the service bulletin.

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
motorcycle shop tire machine should work good its the type you need. doesnt destroy

Bumflik

First Name
Kinte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler . Sienna . Civic Type R FK8 '17
Country flag
Just wanted to add to this thread. I had recently gone in to my Honda dealership for repair of a tire due to a screw. I brought it to their attention that there was a service bulletin in regards to mounting tires. They were unable to do the service at the Honda dept., but luckily their BMW dept had the machine. I paid a bit more for the service going to the dealership than say a tire/muffler center, but it was more for my piece of mind that if Honda messed it up, I could get it straightened out quicker. Anyone needing this service should bring up the service bulletin.
Some dealers have not spent the money for this machine. Luckily one near me invested and made the purchase. Makes sense and cents because they sold the most type r's. Repeat biz n money for maintenance of these owners are important.
Sponsored