Issue after Intercooler and TIP install

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Alright so I spent all day installing a PRL Intercooler, charge pipes, and turbo inlet pipe. Put everything back together and started her up. Everything seemed fine at first but I did notice a fuel smell that I thought was weird, but given the new upgrades and the system needing to reboot since I unplugged the battery I gave it a few minutes and then went to take it around the block to get some feedback. The system didnā€™t fully restore after one lap around the block. So I stopped and restarted the car (maybe this was a bad idea idk, Iā€™ve done it before when I had to unplug the battery). When I restarted, everything booted up normally, no error messages nothing. Took around for another lap, everything was fine. At this point my temps were good so I figured Iā€™d try to induce the turbo with a light pull. In second gear I got to about 4500RPM and then I just hear a loud pop/cough from the front. Distinctly different than like an exhaust backfire. Engine stopped and I coasted to a stop. Tried restarting and it tries to idle and then just dies out a second or two later. I tried starting and giving a little gas to see if I heard anything and it sounded very whiny and then just died. When I did that I noticeably got a fuel smell again. So I donā€™t want to try anything else at this point it literally feels like thereā€™s no air going to the engine. Checked all the pipes and hoses (that I could see) everything looked fine. MAF is connected. Airbox looked fine. Only two things I can think of right now is one of the charge pipes popped off or I damaged the MAF during the whole process today. Any pointers would be great. Unfortunately donā€™t have my Flashpro with me so I canā€™t even check at the moment. Very frustrating :/
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
SperryCTR

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Update. Checked all the tubing. Everything is tight and secure. Not really sure what the issue can be at this point.

OP
OP
SperryCTR

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Also not getting any codesā€¦

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm! The ā€˜pop at the frontā€™ seems like itā€™d be indicative of a tube popping off, but if everything is spot on, šŸ¤”.

And no codes? Seems odd the engine would not run, but there would be no codes.

Something just be unplugged. Are you tuned?

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wonder if itā€™s reading too much air, and dumping in fuel, which might cause the ā€˜fuel smellā€™. šŸ¤”
@fatherpain Any ideas?

OP
OP
SperryCTR

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hmm! The ā€˜pop at the frontā€™ seems like itā€™d be indicative of a tube popping off, but if everything is spot on, šŸ¤”.

And no codes? Seems odd the engine would not run, but there would be no codes.

Something just be unplugged. Are you tuned?
yeah I wouldā€™ve sworn it had to be a tube coming off based on the sound and effect. Everything on the cold side looked good. The only spot I couldnā€™t check yet cause it was raining was the hot side piece that you have to access near the oil pan.

I have the phearable tune rn. I checked the MAF sensor and the one that attaches to the one charge pipe that gets replaced. Everything looked fine and felt snug.

Iā€™m at two theories at this point. MAF sensor is shot. Or possibly the inlet pipe isnā€™t fitted right. That thing gave me a ton of issues trying to get it right with that left side silicon coupling. I think I have it too deep on that coupling and not inserted enough into the intake MAF hose. but with that being said it was still clamped on there pretty good, wasnā€™t moving. And even if it was ā€œleakingā€ Iā€™d imagine Iā€™d get enough air through to at least get the car idling.

very frustrating.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yeah I wouldā€™ve sworn it had to be a tube coming off based on the sound and effect. Everything on the cold side looked good. The only spot I couldnā€™t check yet cause it was raining was the hot side piece that you have to access near the oil pan.

I have the phearable tune rn. I checked the MAF sensor and the one that attaches to the one charge pipe that gets replaced. Everything looked fine and felt snug.

Iā€™m at two theories at this point. MAF sensor is shot. Or possibly the inlet pipe isnā€™t fitted right. That thing gave me a ton of issues trying to get it right with that left side silicon coupling. I think I have it too deep on that coupling and not inserted enough into the intake MAF hose. but with that being said it was still clamped on there pretty good, wasnā€™t moving. And even if it was ā€œleakingā€ Iā€™d imagine Iā€™d get enough air through to at least get the car idling.

very frustrating.
So, it might depend on how itā€™s clamped. I remember that I had to keep things loose until all the silicone fit properly, the. Snug it down.

Best to check the hot side coupler first. Makes sense, given the issues: ECU is reading a lot of air flow, but the engine isnā€™t getting the air, leading to a rich condition, and thus the ā€˜fuel smellā€™. Also, the ā€˜popā€™ noise. Check every single connection point you touched.

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
Unplug the MAF, start the car, and report back on how it runs.

OP
OP
SperryCTR

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
So, it might depend on how itā€™s clamped. I remember that I had to keep things loose until all the silicone fit properly, the. Snug it down.

Best to check the hot side coupler first. Makes sense, given the issues: ECU is reading a lot of air flow, but the engine isnā€™t getting the air, leading to a rich condition, and thus the ā€˜fuel smellā€™. Also, the ā€˜popā€™ noise. Check every single connection point you touched.
So the pop noise was more of a cough or suctioning pop kind of noise. Not like a combustion pop like a firecracker or whatever. But nonetheless itā€™s at my garage in PA for now Iā€™ll have to go back next weekend and take a look at everything and report back.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm sorry to see this has happened. It sucks but know at some point this will get fixed and will all be behind you.

Canā€™t see how changing just the inlet pipe, charge pipes and intercooler would lead to the condition. But think you need to start there along with anything else that was disturbed.

Check all connections, couplers, tubes and hoses like @Doc_Mello suggested and check the rubber coupler for rupture on the air charge pipe that runs from the intercooler towards the rear of the engine on the drivers side.

Sounds like the car was running fine prior to these mods so it makes most sense to recheck all that was touched. Remove the piping and check to make sure no rags were left in if they were used.

While the turbo inlet pipe is off, may be a good idea to pull the DP and verify the turbo blades are still good and spin freely. I think they should spin by hand but never tried, so donā€™t force if doesnā€™t.

If all checks out, then recommend performing a master reset. How to link here. Then see if the issue goes away.

If the problem persists may want to have a tuner check things out to make sure all is good on that end.

Iā€™m strictly a mechanical guy so dunno the ins and outs of tuning so unfortunately cannot help much there.

Maybe my buddy @boosted180sx can also chime in with suggestions.

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
Like unplug and plug it back in? Or unplug entirely? Forgive my ignorance lol
Unplug it, leave it unplugged, and start the car. See if it idles with the sensor unplugged. My guess is a torn coupler causing an intake leak. Usually when a MAF sensor is unplugged the ECU reverts to a default value and the car will run with an air leak. I wouldnā€™t drive it around like this, but itā€™s a useful tool to help in diagnosing.

OP
OP
SperryCTR

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for tips guys. Like I said I have to wait until the weekend to really dig into this. I will report back after I do.

Da5hi30i2d

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic ex hatchback hpf edition
Country flag
Idk it was on here or on YouTube but when the inlet pipe was installed, they forgot to remove a towel from the turbo to prevent any dirt from going in the turbo. Very similar symptoms ā€¦car starter and it ran fine until the 1st pull tore the towel up and it was basically everywhere in the turbo

OP
OP
SperryCTR

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Alright crisis averted everyone. Sure enough it was the hot side tube in the back that you have to get to from underneath when you take the cover off the bottom. Tube popped right out (I had the clamp too far back). Fixed it and tightened the clamp properly. All is good now. Thanks to everyone who helped and provided feedback, really appreciate it.
Sponsored