Is waterless wash safe?

BLUECIVIC17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
I like the idea of the waterless wash but wondering if it will scratch the paint. How does this stuff work?
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I spray off the car with water if there's anything heavy on the car (obvious sand) and then use a microfiber cloth to gently wipe the exterior soaked in the stuff... a dry one to wipe the just-wiped spot dry. I have a bucket of clean water to squeeze the wash microfiber out in. I have a dozen of the things... so if I drop the cloth, or it starts looking dirty... I swap it. I usually use 4 cloths to do a car, as my dry cloths starts getting damp 1/2 through. No waste since all the cloths go on the washer... just no fabric softener as it'll stay on it and can smear residue on the exterior, or so I've read.

Theres a technique you can watch vids of. You're just gently going in straight lines. Not scrubbing in circles.

Last edited:

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
get a grit guard for the buckets.
look up the 2 bucket wash method

Shinjari

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 WOP Civic HB Sport 6MT, '03 Honda CBR600RR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since I'm in California we have serious drought restrictions so I decided to try the waterless wash. After reading up on it I took the plunge.

I got the Aero Cosmetics kit from amazon. Comes with some microfiber cloths, a gallon of solution, a spray bottle and even a sponge (never used it).

Its pretty simple.

As mentioned, the 2 bucket/gary dean method is pretty awesome.

I've used Chemical Guys, Aero Cosmetics and currently Optimum Wash and wax.

They all have worked great and have their quirks/pros/cons.

The biggest thing to avoid/minimize scratches is to ensure you are always using a clean surface on your microfiber cloth and also that the surface is properly wet/lubricated.

For my civic I probably go through 6-8 cloths. I fold them in 4 so I have (8) sections to use. Split up panels into sections and go for it. You dont have to press hard.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I use the Optimum w/wax stuff. I actually had never washed by this method before I got my 10th gen and read up on it. Honestly... I'm hooked. I think it's just as quick as my old, ignorant method of spraying, wiping a big bucket of soapy water all over the car... spraying off and letting a bunch of water spots form all over a car or trying to wipe the car down to minimize them. Car looks a million times better... less effort... and a *whole* lot less water used.

Shinjari

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 WOP Civic HB Sport 6MT, '03 Honda CBR600RR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Totally agree with @charleswrivers on being hooked to this method of washing cars. Definitely less messy than traditional water wash.

I enjoyed the Aero Cosmetics stuff but wanted to stretch my dollar more which is why I tried the CG stuff and am currently loving the Optimum ONR.

Aero Cosmetics - excellent product. Only complain it cost considering I'm washing 3 cars and (1) gallon ends up only lasting a little while. Not sure where they get their math of washing dozens of cars with a gallon.

Chemical Guys - Very good product as well. Only gripe is the caranuba settles and ended up gradually clogging the spray bottle I got with my aero cosmetics kit. I used distilled water to make my solution.

Optimum - Amazing value and product. Just mix the appropriate ratio with water (I used distilled) to make your waterless wash, clay bar solution, quik detailer. No issues with clogging spray bottles (yet).

I typically am 'washing' the cars every weekend or every other weekend. Eventually just bought a pressurized 56oz sprayer. Saves my hands from having to use a hand actuated sprayer.

In fact, I'm about to wash the civic and GF's Elantra right now lol.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
The importance of water quality cannot be overstated. If there's minerals and salt in your water, must rinse the whole car with cleaner or distilled water.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I spray off the car with water if there's anything heavy on the car (obvious sand) and then use a microfiber cloth to gently wipe the exterior soaked in the stuff... a dry one to wipe the just-wiped spot dry. I have a bucket of clean water to squeeze the wash microfiber out in. I have a dozen of the things... so if I drop the cloth, or it starts looking dirty... I swap it. I usually use 4 cloths to do a car, as my dry cloths starts getting damp 1/2 through. No waste since all the cloths go on the washer... just no fabric softener as it'll stay on it and can smear residue on the exterior, or so I've read.

Theres a technique you can watch vids of. You're just gently going in straight lines. Not scrubbing in circles.
You can use a high powered gas leaf blower to dry it. Never have to touch the car, and no swirl marks. It may annoy the neighbors though if you do this every time you wash your car :D

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Ultima waterless wash is insanely good. Not that I use it all the time (I'm old school) but it got me through a frozen East Coast winter in good shape.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I've used ONR for the last 8-9 years with stellar results. I use the two bucket method with a wash mitt. But the Gary Dean method looks good too. May try in the near future.

As others have said, the key is to presoak the surface if heavily soiled, and save the remaining water for the wheels/underbody.
Sponsored