Is tpms supposed to beep when tire full?

TinoMills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My gf has a Sentra and the horn beeps when she fills the tire adequately. I put 40 psi in and I still have low tire pressure alert after a week of city driving. Not sure if it’s filled enough.
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No beep.

Did you recalibrate the TPMS?

40 is too high anyways.

OP
OP
TinoMills

TinoMills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No beep.

Did you recalibrate the TPMS?

40 is too high anyways.
Yeah I know 40 was too high especially for winter but I tried to just test the limit for the beep lol. I'll have to check to recalibrate.

OP
OP
TinoMills

TinoMills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Believe it or not I actually did but I thought it might not be standard. Plus sometimes little things like that are not in the manual so that's why I'm here. It is a cool feature so that way you don't have to measure.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Believe it or not I actually did but I thought it might not be standard. Plus sometimes little things like that are not in the manual so that's why I'm here. It is a cool feature so that way you don't have to measure.
... please be joking.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You should never trust a car to tell you where your tire pressure is unless it actually has a monitor with psi on it. Even then you're taking the chance that it's reading the correct tire/pressure.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Read it again, then.

The TPMS doesn't know the actual pressure inside any of the tires. What our TPMS does is check the rotating speeds of all four wheels. When one of them rolls at a different speed (or RPM, really), it figures that its pressure is different, and it throws a warning.

Specifically, when all four are the correct pressure, they'll turn the same RPM. When one starts going flat, it'll turn faster because its "squished" profile acts as if the tire became smaller.

You can have all of your tires cranked up to 50 PSI and the system won't know any better. It just knows that they're all turning the same speed. Same as if you deflated them all to 20 PSI.

Use your tire gauge and check all four tires to make sure they're the same as what's specified on the sticker in your door jamb. When you've got them correct, then run the TPMS calibration procedure.

(as to why Honda is doing it this way instead of having pressure sensors in the wheels, I'd say it's cheaper and simpler -- no remote sensor pairing required, no sensors to maintain, can swap wheels more easily, etc)

FLRib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8 2021
Country flag
TPMS indicator appeared two days after received my FK8 from the dealer. It din´t disappeared after refilling the tyres for four times. Yesterday, I took my car back to dealer. They returned the car saying that the TPMS indicator had gone. Today, after driving for about 100Km the TPMS indicator appeared again.
The brakes started squeling after one week of ownership.
Honda Swidon sent the car with CIVIC 9th generation Owner's Manual!
Has someone said before, Honda after sales is not as used to be.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Read it again, then.

The TPMS doesn't know the actual pressure inside any of the tires. What our TPMS does is check the rotating speeds of all four wheels. When one of them rolls at a different speed (or RPM, really), it figures that its pressure is different, and it throws a warning.

Specifically, when all four are the correct pressure, they'll turn the same RPM. When one starts going flat, it'll turn faster because its "squished" profile acts as if the tire became smaller.

You can have all of your tires cranked up to 50 PSI and the system won't know any better. It just knows that they're all turning the same speed. Same as if you deflated them all to 20 PSI.

Use your tire gauge and check all four tires to make sure they're the same as what's specified on the sticker in your door jamb. When you've got them correct, then run the TPMS calibration procedure.

(as to why Honda is doing it this way instead of having pressure sensors in the wheels, I'd say it's cheaper and simpler -- no remote sensor pairing required, no sensors to maintain, can swap wheels more easily, etc)
I'm thinking they may have switched because the old ones got broken a LOT when changing tires. I know the guy who changed them on my old car broke one and I had to pay for it myself.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
TPMS indicator appeared two days after received my FK8 from the dealer. It din´t disappeared after refilling the tyres for four times. Yesterday, I took my car back to dealer. They returned the car saying that the TPMS indicator had gone. Today, after driving for about 100Km the TPMS indicator appeared again.
Yup.

I got my FK7 and the TPMS came on during the drive home. I checked the pressures the next morning, and one was about 39 PSI while another was at 45. I adjusted them myself (every car owner needs their own pump, too), recalibrated, and everything was fine.

We were going back the next day to pick up my wife's '17 CRV anyway, and while I was there, I stopped by the service department just to let them know what happened and that they need to fix their dealer prep process.

PGean

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic ST, 2015 X5, 2009 MDX
Country flag
Not to jack the thread but is there a read out/setting in the infotainment that show the psi on each wheel?

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
The TPMS meter has to reset manually, you can't just refill the tires and have it disappear. Also with the weather changing right now it can trigger the sensor, happened on my 2013 Accord all the time. Just check the psi and reset the TPMS again. Not a huge deal, but saves on having to buy TPMS sensors if you have winter tires or different rims.

Not to jack the thread but is there a read out/setting in the infotainment that show the psi on each wheel?
No you cannot. Since our system is based on tire rotation the car has no idea what the psi is in each tire. We would need an entirely different system for individual psi information.

OP
OP
TinoMills

TinoMills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the people that were actually helpful. I do know what Tpms is, and no you shouldn’t use the specs on the door jamb because you may change the tire for a used one with different specs. I just thought the car would beep when filled as it is convenient on Nissan cars.
Sponsored