TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
The TireRack folks listed something like 35-60 as being doable, so I sure hope 40 is ok.
Sponsored

EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Your set up should not be an issue as long as the calipers clear.

I run Michelin Alpina 235/40R18. Many tire gurus including Tire Rack recommend narrower tires for winter tires as they can dig deeper into snow. I saw Canada so I assume snow is an issue. I am in Cleveland OH and I need to get to work regardless of weather. I had no issues in snow during my first winter with my CTR. I would say the car drove as well as my previous AWD car with all seasons, maybe better. Very deep snow could be an issue for you as it could hang the low riding CTR. Michelin X Ice are supposed to be better on Ice but similar in snow and less dynamic when on dry cold roads. Pick based on your conditions and needs.

Geezer

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I just went through this dilemma for my car. Ultimately I ended up spending more money and getting the R specific 19 inch Motegis with 53mm offset from tirerack with snows. The net difference in price vs higher offset 18s was around $500 depending on the combo selected. I wanted to maintain close to factory scrub radius and stance and just did not like the way most 18s looked with lower offsets/non meaty snow tires at stock height.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
But offset is what really matters, you can run a 18" wheel, but if the offset is too low it won't clear. That's why I was concerned about running 18x8 32mm offset so I ordered 40mm offset instead
Seems like you may have a little bit of a backwards idea of offset. A +32 offset will actually push the wheel outwards from the hub more than a +40 offset. The stock offset of the CTR is +60 bringing it in even closer. For an 18 inch wheel that isn't known to have great caliper clearance, going with a +45 and lower should be pretty safe.

I personally have a 18x8 +42 wheel and added a 2 mm spacer just to clear the caliper a little better (the space I was left with was about 1.5 mm from touching the caliper without spacer).

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
I just went through this dilemma for my car. Ultimately I ended up spending more money and getting the R specific 19 inch Motegis with 53mm offset from tirerack with snows. The net difference in price vs higher offset 18s was around $500 depending on the combo selected. I wanted to maintain close to factory scrub radius and stance and just did not like the way most 18s looked with lower offsets/non meaty snow tires at stock height.
I am doing the same thing , what 19" tire did you get with your rims and why? I am still stuck on this

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i have 245/40R18 with ET38 rims.. stock height, there is zero problem.
Out of your 3 size ...
225/45R18 will best performance on snowy road.
245/40R18 will be better on winter dry road.

If your city get alot of snowfall and the road doesnt get clean up quick, you will need narrow tire to cut through the snow.
the wider the tire in winter, the more slide you will get.

Geezer

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I am doing the same thing , what 19" tire did you get with your rims and why? I am still stuck on this
255-35-19 Vredestein Wintrac Pro. Cheapest “performance” snow tire they offered. That size was $170 cheaper for the set vs 245-35-19 of the same tire.

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
I run 245/40/18 on with Michelin X Ice and it's perfect. :thumbsup:

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Around here they do know how to plow, though my driveway is the usual obstacle. The streets are fine usually. The problem with the driveway is one, there are more people that want plowing than there are people who do plowing, especially for early morning workers like me, and 2) the town plows that come along my dirt road throw up a huge wall across my driveway that I have to either, well, have a plow guy clear or do it by hand. Last time I had to shovel the wall and most of the driveway of over two feet of snow, I was damn near immobile for days.

Snowblowers just take up too much space and most of the time I've been able to find a plow person, but last year and so far this year it is looking grim. I might just have to take my wife's SUV and bull through it! Or teach via Zoom anyhow.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
The front brake disk is now a 2-piece for the 2020 but nothing else about the brakes has changed.

Generally for winter tires you want to run a narrower rim and tire (helps cut into or through the snow better and keeps the grime off the side of your car).

Stock offset is +60. The lower the offset the more the wheel is going to move out away from the car and poke out.

GAS2HI

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R & 2006 S2000
Country flag
This is my year around set up for Michigan .. I am running Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4’s . I had A3’s All seasons on my Mini Copper S and good for dry/wet conditions but just OK for heavy snow..my biggest concern is the limited clearance for the front lip ?? Who can comment on how the car deals with snow and ICE that is over 3 inches.. more concerned with ice ruts??
Honda Civic 10th gen Is This Winter Combo OK? 1601604181627

GAS2HI

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R & 2006 S2000
Country flag
This is my year around set up for Michigan .. I am running Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4’s . I had A3’s All seasons on my Mini Copper S and good for dry/wet conditions but just OK for heavy snow..my biggest concern is the limited clearance for the front lip ?? Who can comment on how the car deals with snow and ICE that is over 3 inches.. more concerned with ice ruts??
1601604181627.jpeg
The wheels are 18” x 8.5 with a 40mm offset.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
1601604181627.jpeg
So with this car, and other FWD cars, there is a little trick which seems very funny to me, but actually makes lots of sense. From a stand still you will have more traction going in reverse than going forward.

With that said, I've been in some gnarly stuff (probably like 5 inches +) where I actually could not go forward it was that deep, the front lip was buried in snow, but I could reverse through it... Oh, and get real snow tires.

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I’ve run 225/45 R18 (wheel +38) with real snow tires three winters so far and no complaints handling in the snow. Thinner tires are better for cutting through snow. If you’ve driven in the snow before fancy electronics, disable the VSA so you can dig your way out at slow speeds. Added bonus, when you switch back to 20’s, you feel like you have a new nimble car. It really makes you appreciate the car every year.
Sponsored