Eathius

First Name
Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
Bought my car used and today I lifted it and looked underneath for the first time....

I initially went under the car because i noticed the skid plate wasnt put on properly by the previous owner, it was hanging and scraping on uneven surfaces(he was an idiot evidently). Once under there I realised that he hadn't tightened the oil pan bolt properly and it had been leaking...awesome. Anyway, i noticed this. Time to hit the panic button?

Honda Civic 10th gen Is this normal? IMG_20200525_111320
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Oil leaking isn't normal by any means (but it's not unheard of). But you just bought the car, I'd give it an oil change yourself, clean up the oil leak, and see if it still leaks. On top of that also do any sort of routine maintenance that's required at the mileage you're at (check the brakes, brake fluid, rotors, etc.). Also check to make sure that the skid plate will attach to the car normally or if it's too damaged to function anymore.

Oil leaks are not normal, but also not unseen on these cars. If it starts leaking, it should be covered under warranty; I think the 60k mile powertrain warranty should apply here (I could be wrong), but if it doesn't the 36k bumper to bumper will apply.

OP
OP
Eathius

Eathius

First Name
Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
Oil leaking isn't normal by any means (but it's not unheard of). But you just bought the car, I'd give it an oil change yourself, clean up the oil leak, and see if it still leaks. On top of that also do any sort of routine maintenance that's required at the mileage you're at (check the brakes, brake fluid, rotors, etc.). Also check to make sure that the skid plate will attach to the car normally or if it's too damaged to function anymore.

Oil leaks are not normal, but also not unseen on these cars. If it starts leaking, it should be covered under warranty; I think the 60k mile powertrain warranty should apply here (I could be wrong), but if it doesn't the 36k bumper to bumper will apply.
ah thanks. I was meaning to schedule a dealership appointment to hopefully sort out my 2nd gear grind and 3rd gear lock out issues...I'll have them look at this as well

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
ah thanks. I was meaning to schedule a dealership appointment to hopefully sort out my 2nd gear grind and 3rd gear lock out issues...I'll have them look at this as well
3rd gear lockout seems odd for these vehicles. Most people have a 4th gear lockout and 2nd gear grind. Though I've found that if I don't try to rip between gears those issues go away.

OP
OP
Eathius

Eathius

First Name
Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
3rd gear lockout seems odd for these vehicles. Most people have a 4th gear lockout and 2nd gear grind. Though I've found that if I don't try to rip between gears those issues go away.
I definitely have 3rd and reverse gear lockouts. When I first got the car id have about 3 2nd gear grinds a day, its much improved since i adjusted the cmc but it still happens occasionally(when Im sending it lol). The 3rd gear lockout happens quite often.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With these transmissions, I think anything is possible. Sometimes I even get heavy resistance trying to shift into 5th gear.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I definitely have 3rd and reverse gear lockouts. When I first got the car id have about 3 2nd gear grinds a day, its much improved since i adjusted the cmc but it still happens occasionally(when Im sending it lol). The 3rd gear lockout happens quite often.
If reverse lockout is while standing still, that can actually be normal with any manual transmission. Shift into any other gear and back into reverse (you can keep the clutch pedal pressed in the whole time while doing this).

OP
OP
Eathius

Eathius

First Name
Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
If reverse lockout is while standing still, that can actually be normal with any manual transmission. Shift into any other gear and back into reverse (you can keep the clutch pedal pressed in the whole time while doing this).
Ah. That happened sometimes on my Kia as well, not a major concern then.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I noticed that same carrier bearing on mine was seeping early on when I bought my car. I used brake clean on it and check it each oil change. I'm at 31K miles now and it hasn't come back. It's a sealed bearing so I'm not sure why they would seep, probably a defect with bad grease in the bearing? Hopefully all the grease in my bearing didn't leak out :dunno:

chriser0

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I noticed that same carrier bearing on mine was seeping early on when I bought my car. I used brake clean on it and check it each oil change. I'm at 31K miles now and it hasn't come back. It's a sealed bearing so I'm not sure why they would seep, probably a defect with bad grease in the bearing? Hopefully all the grease in my bearing didn't leak out :dunno:
I think its just the grease heat cycling and getting thin and seeping. might take 100k for it to cause any issues.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Reverse Lockouts are SUPER normal for this car. I always shift into third before I set it into reverse and it goes into R every single time without any issues. Don't worry too too much about R lockouts.

I cannot speak to 3rd gear lockouts. That has NEVER happened to me.. only 4th gear lockouts when downshifting from 5th.

Frantic_FK8

First Name
Antoine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, 240sx
Country flag
My car has just reached 9k miles and has been lowered on RSR springs for the last 3k. I noticed a small oil puddle on my garage floor yesterday so jacked up the car and saw what looks like a leaking carrier bearing. The odd thing is that there wasn’t any oil on the tray immediately under this part. I’m thinking I’ll keep an eye on it and see if it happens again.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is this normal? 78D91271-854F-4754-BD7E-09DC4A83F9A1

ShaRm3064

First Name
Sharmilan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda CIvic Type R #3064 Crystal Black Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My carrier bearing looks fine but I noticed this on my Driver side CV axel right where it connects at the metal band:
Honda Civic 10th gen Is this normal? 20201212_082434
Car has around 100k KM(63k miles)

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My carrier bearing looks fine but I noticed this on my Driver side CV axel right where it connects at the metal band:
20201212_082434.jpg
Car has around 100k KM(63k miles)
That almost kind of looks like water-moisture/dampness that hasn't dried completely.