civic725

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
Country flag
17 Si with Hondata 6lb tune....in the video you'll see at about 15 sec under full accel in 4th 5th and 6th all around 3 to 4 k rpm the tach rises quickly then seems to either level off and "catch" or sometimes it drops a few hundred rpm...is this the clutch slipping? It seems fine everywhere else
Sponsored

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
This is why I'm hesitant to do a tune on my 18 SI, I don't want to have to upgrade the clutch and void my warranty.

y2kprofesor

First Name
marius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
17 Si with Hondata 6lb tune....in the video you'll see at about 15 sec under full accel in 4th 5th and 6th all around 3 to 4 k rpm the tach rises quickly then seems to either level off and "catch" or sometimes it drops a few hundred rpm...is this the clutch slipping? It seems fine everywhere else
yup your clutch is done its slipping

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Perhaps a tuner can chime in?
I don't like the fact that the RPMs were just "hovering there" as you were still on the gas and clearly your MPH were rising so your car was going faster.

I thought clutch slipping = tach always remains shooting up and car doesn't go any faster

@MAPerformance what do you think

Last edited:

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
Video didn't work for me....but a slipping clutch should have the engine revving higher without the speedometer reading increase accordingly. What you're describing, could be the clutch slipping to a certain point, then catching.

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
Its happening every
Video didn't work for me....but a slipping clutch should have the engine revving higher without the speedometer reading increase accordingly. What you're describing, could be the clutch slipping to a certain point, then catching.
He is wot to about 4k and letting of the gas real fast then the rpms drop 100 fast and then engine brakes.

but what ever is happening he needs to stop going wot in 5th and 6th period.

OP
OP

civic725

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
Country flag
Its happening every

He is wot to about 4k and letting of the gas real fast then the rpms drop 100 fast and then engine brakes.

but what ever is happening he needs to stop going wot in 5th and 6th period.

Actually I'm holding WOT.....if you notice the rpm jump real fast then level out at 4k and then climb slow...then i let off the gas...this is in 4th gear also only between 3 and 4k....i can stand on it in any gear at any other rpm

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
Actually I'm holding WOT.....if you notice the rpm jump real fast then level out at 4k and then climb slow...then i let off the gas...this is in 4th gear also only between 3 and 4k....i can stand on it in any gear at any other rpm
I didn't see the RPM's act funny until the boost gauge was in the negatives. But stopped going wide open throttle and 5th and 6th you are fucking your clutch up.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Why were you at WOT in 5th and 6th? Those are overdrive gears. Wouldn’t shock me if it was slipping.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Can someone explain why it's bad to go WOT in 5th? I'm asking as someone with nothing more than an CAI here. Sure, I'm we're not legally supposed to be going that fast but hey, if I didn't want a car capable of it, I would have gotten something else.

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
Can someone explain why it's bad to go WOT in 5th? I'm asking as someone with nothing more than an CAI here. Sure, I'm we're not legally supposed to be going that fast but hey, if I didn't want a car capable of it, I would have gotten something else.
Winding out 4th then going to 5th is not the problem. But crusing along in 5th or 6th then just going wot is the problem, from what I read. People that do that burn up the clutch.

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
You should not floor it when you are below like 4k rpm except in first or second gear. If you want to go faster then downshift.

When the boost is high your engine is twisting super hard and your wheels can't speed up fast enough, so the weakest point starts to slip.

You can floor it any gear, but think about the point of flooring it is to speed up as fast as you can. The best way to speed up is to downshift.

Think about going 5mph and being in 4th gear, and flooring the gas. You will get the 60mph in like a minute, but the best way to speed up is hit first and second gear and be at 60 in like 6 seconds. Flooring it in 5th and 6th at under like 90 is the same thing.

If you are just trying to speed up a little then give it a little gas, if you really want to speed up, shift down, floor it and zoom off!!

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
Such good advice
Yes your clutch is starting to slip. So start saving up to replace it. Hopefully it will last a while as long as you stop flooring it in 4th 5th and 6th at low rpm. But the clutch probably going to go.

Think about using your arm to twist a toy car tire, super easy (low gear). Now think about twisting using your arm on a bicycle tire(meduim gear). Now think about twisting a truck tire with your wrist (high gear) and once you start adding boost you are twisting harder and harder until your clutch can't handle it and starts to slip, kind of like your hand would be slipping cause you ain't moving that big ol' tire (think about twisting the bar that holds your tire and your hand slipping cause you are twisting way too hard)

Not a perfect example, but similar to what is happening with the gears.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
You should not floor it when you are below like 4k rpm except in first or second gear. If you want to go faster then downshift.

When the boost is high your engine is twisting super hard and your wheels can't speed up fast enough, so the weakest point starts to slip.

You can floor it any gear, but think about the point of flooring it is to speed up as fast as you can. The best way to speed up is to downshift.

Think about going 5mph and being in 4th gear, and flooring the gas. You will get the 60mph in like a minute, but the best way to speed up is hit first and second gear and be at 60 in like 6 seconds. Flooring it in 5th and 6th at under like 90 is the same thing.

If you are just trying to speed up a little then give it a little gas, if you really want to speed up, shift down, floor it and zoom off!!
Oh ok... The way some people said it, it just sounded like it was bad for us to go WOT when winding out 5th. I get what you mean though.
Sponsored