Is this normal for the Civic ?

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Hello, I just recently purchased a 2017 Civic EX (no turbo). It's my first time owning a Honda and I am coming from a Prius.

When I am driving the vehicle and slowing down, or slowly braking it almost feels like an abrupt downshifting or like a mini rough shift. The car has 220 miles on it and this is the first week I am driving it. I did see surging issues with other cars, but it appears those are primarily for the turbo versions which mine does not have. I did not know if this is part of the way Honda Civics are managing the engine, or automatic shifting, etc....

Unfortunately I don't have a better way of describing this and it's not the end of the world, but I was not sure if it was part of the normal operation. It feels like a rough downshift with an automatic if I had to describe the feeling. It only happens when I am slowing down .

Thanks
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
100% normal, just a characteristic with this CVT. It's rather pronounced in certain situations - such as having to break hard, then letting off the brake a bit to come to a smoother stop.

For what it's worth - other CVT cars I've driven (Outback, Altima, Versa) haven't had this characteristic.

OP
OP
Swordfish

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Thanks I wasn't sure it feels strange but if it's normal then I won't worry about it. I have not experienced this on any other car I have driven in the past so just thought I'd ask!

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've noticed a lot of people have been posting about the jerky transmission. I think I was the first person to actually post about the transmission being so jerky. I think I posted it January 2016 so about a year ago. I really thought it was a lemon. And they had the car for a week testing it and they couldn't find anything wrong. Still very jerky at low speed to this day. Very disappointing (didn't notice it in the test drive) plus many other problems the 10th gen is plagued by. I'm thinking of trading for a 2017 accord coupe touring. But nervous because interior quality on this civic is subpar at best.

OP
OP
Swordfish

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I've noticed a lot of people have been posting about the jerky transmission. I think I was the first person to actually post about the transmission being so jerky. I think I posted it January 2016 so about a year ago. I really thought it was a lemon. And they had the car for a week testing it and they couldn't find anything wrong. Still very jerky at low speed to this day. Very disappointing (didn't notice it in the test drive) plus many other problems the 10th gen is plagued by. I'm thinking of trading for a 2017 accord coupe touring. But nervous because interior quality on this civic is subpar at best.
It feels odd, but as long as it is normal and not an issue then I don't really care. The interior is OK. I have the EX version I preferred not to have the turbo. I've also owned before a Corolla, and I feel that Toyota puts out much lower quality products compared to Honda. All the Toyotas I have own the plastic dash interior shakes and creaks. Not sure if this is due to sloppy tolerances.

I did look at an Accord too, but I don't like large vehicles and it's a nightmare to park anywhere in Southern California.

All in all, I'm happy with the car so far. It's not a luxury vehicle so it will have some pros and cons in certain areas, but I got my under $20 and it's just a commuter car. I think if I were to get a more expensive car, I'd get the Accord coupe instead of the current Civic sedan.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks I wasn't sure it feels strange but if it's normal then I won't worry about it. I have not experienced this on any other car I have driven in the past so just thought I'd ask!
I think it is the EFI reducing fuel. If you notice the instant mpg gauge go up in concert with what you mentioned, that is definitely it. The only unsmooth action I experience, and I wouldn't necessarily call it jerking, is right when I put on the brake while sliding sometimes, or after releasing the brake and going right into the gas gently.

Nicklo2017HB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX hatchback
Hello, I just recently purchased a 2017 Civic EX (no turbo). It's my first time owning a Honda and I am coming from a Prius.

When I am driving the vehicle and slowing down, or slowly braking it almost feels like an abrupt downshifting or like a mini rough shift. The car has 220 miles on it and this is the first week I am driving it. I did see surging issues with other cars, but it appears those are primarily for the turbo versions which mine does not have. I did not know if this is part of the way Honda Civics are managing the engine, or automatic shifting, etc....

Unfortunately I don't have a better way of describing this and it's not the end of the world, but I was not sure if it was part of the normal operation. It feels like a rough downshift with an automatic if I had to describe the feeling. It only happens when I am slowing down .

Thanks
My 2017 LX turbo auto HB does a similar "lurch" just before coming to a stop after travelling at city speeds. I attribute this to the automatic (CVT actual) transmission. Not a great feeling for a CVT that apparently is one of the best. I would also appreciate anyone's similar experience and whether it is considered a turbo only problem. Thanks

OP
OP
Swordfish

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
My 2017 LX turbo auto HB does a similar "lurch" just before coming to a stop after travelling at city speeds. I attribute this to the automatic (CVT actual) transmission. Not a great feeling for a CVT that apparently is one of the best. I would also appreciate anyone's similar experience and whether it is considered a turbo only problem. Thanks
How did you get a turbo in the LX version ?

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Yes that's correct. Hatches are made in the UK and are sold only with 1.5L turbos. I believe the LX version in the hatchback has an infotainment system similar to the EX trim in the sedan (no nav however).
No.. Only the canadian version and some other global ones. U.s. lx has turbo but just like the sport has the last crv's infotainment
Sponsored