Is this a windshield feature?

davidpeab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
I have a streak, or rather the opposite of a streak on my windshield. See the attached pic. It is a clear swath that looks like it would be nice to have until I am driving in misty conditions or encountering spray from the vehicle in front of me. When the wiper passes over that spot it holds the water on the return swipe and blocks my view. I've replaced the blades with Bosch Icons (save the "best wiper blade" debate for another thread please), cleaned the window with Windex, Invisible Glass, Soap and water, and straight vinegar and the area remains the same. Does anyone else have this "feature?" Can anyone help me get rid of it please?

Honda Civic 10th gen Is this a windshield feature? WIndshield_Streak
Sponsored

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
I recently ceramic coated my windshield myself, and I have a similar streak appearing in the rain with the OEM wipers. It seems the wiper arm is putting down a lot of force and somehow makes that line across the glass.

I recommend ceramic coating the windshield and install silicone wiper blades. It will give you the perfect results, trust me.

jayzon831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic hatchback sport cvt, 2003 Acura RSX (totaled)
Country flag
I have a streak, or rather the opposite of a streak on my windshield. See the attached pic. It is a clear swath that looks like it would be nice to have until I am driving in misty conditions or encountering spray from the vehicle in front of me. When the wiper passes over that spot it holds the water on the return swipe and blocks my view. I've replaced the blades with Bosch Icons (save the "best wiper blade" debate for another thread please), cleaned the window with Windex, Invisible Glass, Soap and water, and straight vinegar and the area remains the same. Does anyone else have this "feature?" Can anyone help me get rid of it please?

WIndshield_Streak.jpg
I have the same exact streak in the same spot. I suspected a garage I brought my car to spilled chemicals or something on my windshield, but now I'm not so sure. I sprayed some RainX on it, which helped for a little while. I haven't noticed it in a while, but I haven't driven in the rain in a while either.

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I recently ceramic coated my windshield myself, and I have a similar streak appearing in the rain with the OEM wipers. It seems the wiper arm is putting down a lot of force and somehow makes that line across the glass.

I recommend ceramic coating the windshield and install silicone wiper blades. It will give you the perfect results, trust me.
I also have this issue and of course it’s directly in my line of sight only on the drivers side.

You say silicone wiper blades I actually saw the PIAA ones a few weeks ago and was thinking about trying those, would you recommend those or another brand?

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
I also have this issue and of course it’s directly in my line of sight only on the drivers side.

You say silicone wiper blades I actually saw the PIAA ones a few weeks ago and was thinking about trying those, would you recommend those or another brand?
From what I hear, the PIAA seem to offer the best value for the buck. I would also try RainX Silicon AdvantEdge as they are both great. But I would try the PIAA first, I will get them when my OEM's run out.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I had this issue where that streak would cover the entire area swept by the wiper blades. It was annoying. It came down to the RainX windshield wiper fluid being used.

The problem magically disappeared after the car was power washed with one of those handheld wands. I guess the high-pressure water cleared whatever was on the windshield that caused the "streaking".

After the power wash, no part of the windshield showed affinity/phobia to water.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
That's the Honda complimentary "clear view" feature for the Civic. :D

It's optional on the Accord.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have that too, exactly in front of my eyes, i had the original wipers so i decided to get new ones and the issue is still there. I supercleaned the glass twice using claybar and polish, i waxed it but nothing changed...

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I've used only PIAA silicone blades for years and they're great. The windshield prep process is, after cleaning with a window cleaner (do it twice is my advice), they advise you to use a large alcohol wipe they provide. This might be what is needed to try to clean that "swipe" area of the windshield. The PIAA 97065 Si-Tech Silicone Wiper Blade - 26" is the driver's side. You can find them on Amazon for a discounted price. You can confirm fitment easily on The Tire Rack site also.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
The silicone wiper blades last a lot longer than the regular rubber too.

OP
OP

davidpeab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
I've used only PIAA silicone blades for years and they're great. The windshield prep process is, after cleaning with a window cleaner (do it twice is my advice), they advise you to use a large alcohol wipe they provide. This might be what is needed to try to clean that "swipe" area of the windshield. The PIAA 97065 Si-Tech Silicone Wiper Blade - 26" is the driver's side. You can find them on Amazon for a discounted price. You can confirm fitment easily on The Tire Rack site also.
OK, I bought the PIAA 95065 Super Silicone blades (26" and 18") and will follow your advice and their instructions and let you know how it goes.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
OK, I bought the PIAA 95065 Super Silicone blades (26" and 18") and will follow your advice and their instructions and let you know how it goes.
If it keeps up, you should definitely either clay bar or use a buffer with cutting compound to be sure all of the residue is off the glass. Then either use RainX or as was suggested, put a ceramic coat on the glass and then use RainX or a ceramic recharge like Hydrosilex as needed to re enforce the hydrophobic effect.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag

WIndshield_Streak.jpg
I had the same thing on my car. I changed my drivers side wiper to a Bosch wiper and its so much better.
Sponsored