Is this a good indication that the previous owner didn't beat on my car?

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hi guys,

So I purchased a PWP 2019 Civic Si Sedan a few weeks ago. I bought it with about 18,000 miles and I was looking through the average fuel mileage rating in the trip meter and for the "3rd" drive it was listed at 17,800 miles and the average fuel rating for all those miles was 33 mpg. Do you think that's a good indication that the car wasn't beat on? There is nothing wrong with the car I was just curious if that would mean anything. Like if the previous owner constantly beat on it then it would be a lower MPG like say anywhere from 22-28 MPG.
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
33 is usually my average with mixed driving and the occasional WOT pull.

were the windows tinted? Was anything not stock when you bought it?

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
Ha! 18,000 total.
17,800 of which averaged 33 mpg.
Just broken in nicely for you.
Great color too BTW!

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Frequently I average 29-35 a tank even with a significant amount of "beating on it".

Habanero

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX. 2012 G25
Country flag
On buying a used car one thing I looked at were the tires, how beat up were they? Carmax would have a car that has around 20-30K miles and they would say "look we put new tires on!" Er- OK I get around 60k miles on my tires so yeah they were a bit frisky with it. FWIW I looked just now and I average 34-36mpg mixed driving.

Last edited:

OP
OP
danfg2

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ha! 18,000 total.
17,800 of which averaged 33 mpg.
Just broken in nicely for you.
Great color too BTW!
On buying a used car one thing I looked at were the tires, how beat up were they? Carmax would have a car that has around 20-30K miles and they would say "look we put new tires on". Er- OK I get around 60k miles on my tires so yeah they were a bit frisky with it.
That's a really good point! I'm going to go outside and take a look at the tires now lol! I do know that they are the stock tires still which is good

OP
OP
danfg2

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's an Si. People buy it to have fun. Don't let that bother you though- it means it is fully broken in and you can go nuts. The cars are built to last.
I hope so....these engines just haven't been out long enough for me to know that for sure as far as reliability goes but I'm happy either way

Anjuna

First Name
Mal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Sedan
Country flag
On buying a used car one thing I looked at were the tires, how beat up were they? Carmax would have a car that has around 20-30K miles and they would say "look we put new tires on!" Er- OK I get around 60k miles on my tires so yeah they were a bit frisky with it. FWIW I looked just now and I average 34-36mpg mixed driving.
Except these cars come with garbage OEM tires. The previous owner didn't beat on mine (I went through the videos), and I have 70% Tread on my Eagle Sports, yet they're already bleeding and tearing. Despite consistently rotating.

Habanero

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX. 2012 G25
Country flag
Except these cars come with garbage OEM tires. The previous owner didn't beat on mine (I went through the videos), and I have 70% Tread on my Eagle Sports, yet they're already bleeding and tearing. Despite consistently rotating.
Mine were the hankooks (look at those reviews lol) and they were fine. I probably could have gone to 50k easily but I got rims. A mechanic told me they were wearing unevenly because the previous owner did not keep them inflated, so still a lack-of-maintenance situation. If you drove the speed limit, kept your MPG indicator in the GREEN all the time like myself any tire will last long. I dont know how you drive.

Anjuna

First Name
Mal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Sedan
Country flag
Mine were the hankooks (look at those reviews lol) and they were fine. I probably could have gone to 50k easily but I got rims. A mechanic told me they were wearing unevenly because the previous owner did not keep them inflated, so still a lack-of-maintenance situation. If you drove the speed limit, kept your MPG indicator in the GREEN all the time like myself any tire will last long. I dont know how you drive.
Hankooks are better than the stock Goodyears. The Eagle Sports are terrible tires. I thought it was just the community being a bit whiney, but it's so true. I rarely speed, and even when I'm driving fast have fairly good tire management.

Vrait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
I average 37.5mpg driving in a small/medium sized city.

I only get 33mpg if I have a really short drive with a ton of stop signs or I am driving aggressively.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
It would be more important to see the oil change interval over average fuel mileage. At 18k I'd hope for at least 2.

And like other have said, what's the tread look like.

Without being able to see if it's ever been launched hard or redlined it's hard to tell.

Habanero

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX. 2012 G25
Country flag
Road conditions play a part for tire wear no doubt, but I read somewhere the place I commute to has the worst road conditions in the US. I average 60k per set easy.
Sponsored