Is there any way to turn off rain sensing wipers?

themzlab

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
themzlab.tumblr.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 Prius 5,2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
Ive been using Rain-X on my windshield for the past couple years. The reason I don't like the auto wipers in the first place is because i use Rain-X and don't need them on a high setting during heavy rain to have good visibility. In my 2013 EX, i always use the lowest intermittent setting without issues. Driving in the rain in this Touring is such a pain in the ass.
that's really interesting. In that case I would double-down on my hopes and suggestion that Honda make a normal intermittent function available. Hopefully they have this kind of flexibility and can offer it through a settings change in the Andriod system. Dear Honda, if you make this change for my CivicX friends, I will stop complaining about the lack of a volume knob :)

Otherwise, I wonder how hard a hack would be?
Sponsored

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, I'm hoping they come out with a fix for this too. I'd rather have the old intermittent option. They seem to work fine when it's raining harder, but when it's misting or snowing, the wipers go way too fast, even on the lowest sensitivity setting so I'll often resort to the single wipe option which can get rather annoying. This is probably my biggest gripe with the car.

Jay Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
Well guess what it looks like my rain sensor for wipers is not working anymore :( It was raining all day today, and every time i would put my wipers on auto, it would wipe once and that's it, no more movement, I've changed the sensitivity but nothing, it just wouldn't work! I don't know what can be the problem seriously.

Ethan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3 GT 6 speed
My Mazda 3 has rain sensing wipers. I think it's funny when the wipers come on randomly driving in dry conditions :thumbsup: Most of the time though, they work fine.

It's a feature I wouldn't miss if it was gone.

jhaze84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
My rain sensing wipers also don't work properly. Same problem as everyone else: in light rain they start off seemingly fine and then end up going berserk. Every time it rains it is a frustrating experience. I end up constantly turning the wipers on and off manually as I drive. I wish I could downgrade this "premium" feature to regular intermittent wipers.

I had a dealer confirm the problem during a weekend visit but they didn't know what to do about it. They want me to bring the car back to them on a weekday so they can troubleshoot with Honda. So for now, I am stuck with the defective wipers. This is my one major annoyance with an otherwise excellent car.

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
I don't understand why this can't be a settable option just like reverting the adaptive cruise control to regular cruise control is. The physical controls are exactly the same. It seems like this could even be done via a software update since the computer is already controlling the wiper interval, it just needs to read the intermittent dial value and apply a multiplier to the interval, instead of taking the value from the rain-sensing camera.

Jay Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
I would revert to a conventional system in a heartbeat!! They really failed on this one! But i still love the car!!

OP
OP
Touring

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine were working fine during a steady rain on my way to work the other day. I was so happy! They were working perfectly the whole 55km until i pulled into the lot and parked it, then they went berserk again. Terrible feature! I wonder if altering the sensor lense would do anything? Like putting a piece of tape over part of it or something like that

Rob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
mine are behaving the same way on my touring: nice steady swipe, and then berserk. I came from a Focus that had rain sensing wipers and they worked beautifully. It can't be that hard to program properly.

Jay Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
Can someone tell me where is the sensor for the wipers on the picture please? Im wondering if it's my dash cam that makes the sensor not working anymore...

Honda Civic 10th gen Is there any way to turn off rain sensing wipers? IMG_1489

Last edited:

OP
OP
Touring

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can someone tell me where is the sensor for the wipers on the picture please? Im wondering if it's my dash cam that makes the sensor not working anymore...

IMG_1489.jpg
its A. If you turn them on and sprinkle water over it, the wipers will do a swipe.

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wonder if the wipers are actually throwing water onto the sensor when they swipe, which makes the sensor think it's getting lots more rain? If any of you end up finding a solution with your dealer, I hope you'll post it here. Hopefully it can be fixed with a simple software update, but I guess we'd have to wait a while for that.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag