Is there a flash counter on 10th gen civic ECU?

novy_wan_kenobi

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan 2.0L NA 6MT
Country flag
Has there ever been a definitive answer found for this question?

If you get a KTuner and flash your ECU, and then you have to go to the dealer for warranty work (whatever it may be), everyone on here says "flash the car back to the stock tune, unlock and remove the ktuner" before bringing it in for the warranty service.

Is there any possible way for Honda to know that the car was flashed? If it is back on the stock tune and the KTuner isn't in the car, is there ANY way for them to actually know that the ECU was flashed and then flashed back? Is there an actual flash counter on these 10th gen Civic ECU's that Honda dealers can read?
Sponsored

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has there ever been a definitive answer found for this question?

If you get a KTuner and flash your ECU, and then you have to go to the dealer for warranty work (whatever it may be), everyone on here says "flash the car back to the stock tune, unlock and remove the ktuner" before bringing it in for the warranty service.

Is there any possible way for Honda to know that the car was flashed? If it is back on the stock tune and the KTuner isn't in the car, is there ANY way for them to actually know that the ECU was flashed and then flashed back? Is there an actual flash counter on these 10th gen Civic ECU's that Honda dealers can read?
So I'm pretty sure Honda is able to tell how many times you've flashed your car and if it was flashed in general - but I think majority of the times it won't get to that point.

I believe Honda Engineers get involved when there is a persisting issue with the car and people at the dealership genuinely believe it to be caused by an aftermarket tune. Or if the dealer thinks you're trying to finesse your warranty by running a stage 3 tune with stock everything else and blowing your engine but acting like you have no idea what happened.

If you're just going in for routine maintenance or smaller issues I think you'll be fine and they won't bother to go through the entire process to check if you are flashed.

OP
OP
novy_wan_kenobi

novy_wan_kenobi

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan 2.0L NA 6MT
Country flag
So I'm pretty sure Honda is able to tell how many times you've flashed your car and if it was flashed in general - but I think majority of the times it won't get to that point.

I believe Honda Engineers get involved when there is a persisting issue with the car and people at the dealership genuinely believe it to be caused by an aftermarket tune. Or if the dealer thinks you're trying to finesse your warranty by running a stage 3 tune with stock everything else and blowing your engine but acting like you have no idea what happened.

If you're just going in for routine maintenance or smaller issues I think you'll be fine and they won't bother to go through the entire process to check if you are flashed.
So is the answer “yes, there is some sort of flash counter” or “no, there is no such flash counter” ?

That really is the question, and doesn’t seem anyone can definitively answer it. I’m not looking to finesse warranty or add a stage 3 tune. If anything it would be the base KTuner tune to give a little better drive ability. Using that I don’t foresee any worse wear and tear really than the stock tune.

However, I don’t want to tune the car only to have my warranty voided because they could see that it was flashed. I’m more worried about electrical components being covered with warranty other than the drivetrain because Honda is notoriously strong in that regard. That’s why I wanted to know if there is a definitive answer as a yes or a no if there is some sort of flash counter or not to help me make a final decision on wether or not it’s worth it for me to risk voiding my Honda extended warranty.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my take:

You have to go into tuning assuming there's a strong chance your powertrain warranty is cooked.

But let me explain further.

I've taken in my tuned Civic many times for maintenance. No issues at the dealer. And I'm certain if I had non-powertrain warranty work it would get done.

But, if I take it in for a blown turbo or motor or CVT, Honda will investigate and likely know it's been tuned.

But, I have faith that with the way I drive and the tune I use, my car will be reliable. The tuning reliability survey I run bears that out.

It all boils down to whether or not you're willing to take some small risk in return for a car that drives worlds better.

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Kind of silly, but does switching the ECU with a another one circumvent the check? Like you buy another one.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Kind of silly, but does switching the ECU with a another one circumvent the check? Like you buy another one.
@novy_wan_kenobi & @dellyjoughnut
When you plug in your tuner to your PC you can see your “Flash Count” can’t you? It shows you dates and times. Well, your ECU is far more advanced than that. So, yes - it will register. Basic logic
#2 - If you buy another ECU to mask it, then the Serial won’t match the VIN and you are back to no warrantee again.

Bottom Line:
If you choose to tune, be certain whether you want the Drivetrain and the components linked to it covered before you make your final decision.
Sponsored