Is the Type R worth it for an average driver?

Is the Type R for me?

• Total voters

Emertxe

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I've been heavily considering the Type R for a while now, ready to grab it as soon as I can find one in stock that's not crazily marked up. However, all this time waiting has given me time to give it some final thoughts before I jump the gun. It's a big purchase for something I never really experienced before, so I'm somewhat questioning if I'd regret it. I love everything about it - the looks included - yet I don't have the experience to tell if buying a fun car is worth it over an A to B machine. (plus, I likely won't be able to drive one until I already own it).

I've only ever had an old 1998 Lexus with 250k miles on it and a 2008 Accord with 230k miles. I've never really been a car guy until I started heavily researching my options last year, when I became financially able to consider a new one. Buying a Type R isn't an irresponsible financial decision, but with how hard it is to get one at a fair price, it makes me wonder if I should put some thought into other options. Yet, there's hasn't been any other car in any price range that I dream about like the Type R. I just don't know how well it'll live up to the expectations in my head.

With the Type R, I don't plan on taking it to the track or doing a lot of spirited driving. I plan on driving it like any daily driver, save for a nice spurt of acceleration or a hard corner every now and then. This makes me wonder, if I'm not taking full advantage of its power, should I really be spending this much money on this kind of car? I know there are other options to consider like the Veloster N which has much greater value, or I could go luxury in this price range, but I feel like I'd regret compromising instead of getting the car I want.

There's also the fact that it's a manual: I recently learned how to drive stick with my friend's Focus ST and I loved it. However, I haven't daily'd one yet. I don't know if it's something I'd get tired of, or even hate. (Hell, before I started getting into cars, I wanted a Tesla for autopilot to make things even easier). My highway commute currently is great for the Type R, but we're in the middle of a pandemic. I don't know how bad it will be once it ends and traffic kicks back up. That being said, inner roads are a perfectly viable option if it gets too bad.

The last point is maintenance costs, which I don't really know what to expect. I like to think I'm alright with footing a higher bill for a fun car, but it's another case of something I won't know until I actually experience it.

What this really comes down to is if it's worth it to consider a car that I don't need, but want. My 230k mile Accord is still chugging, and I could probably get away without buying a new car for another year or two, but I've been heavily considering the upgrade anyways.

Anyways, just wanted to hear some opinions on this from owners. And not going to lie, I'm totally looking for some biased responses to sway me.
Sponsored

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
With the Type R, I don't plan on taking it to the track or doing a lot of spirited driving.
That right there tells me no. The R in Type R stands for Racing. It is track car that is street legal not like other Honda Civics like the Si that are Street cars that can handle the track.

OP
OP

Emertxe

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
That right there tells me no. The R in Type R stands for Racing. It is track car that is street legal not like other Honda Civics like the Si that are Street cars that can handle the track.
I kinda figured that may be the case, but since the other options I've considered are $30k+, I thought that I might as well go for the endgame for a bit more cash. And to be fair, my driving habits may change with the Type R. The only thing really stopping me is the fear of tickets.

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i dont track mine at all and i still have fun with it

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Type R is a special car. Was in a similar situation, having driven an old 1996 Accord for 18 years before taking the plunge on this. The Accord has 356k miles and still chugging btw ;)

If interested can read my story on it here.

Don’t have to go all out on mods, but there likely would be some you’d eventually want to get. Namely downsizing to 18’s from stock 20’s at some point.

I say go for it, if your finances permit and you have a safe place to park it.

gohighhhehrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
This isn't exactly true (disregarding the fact that the car at stock will usually go into limp mode on the track after a while). When building the FK8, Honda wanted it to be more versatile for daily driving compared to older models. They mention it here https://global.honda/innovation/technology/automobile/CivicTypeR/engineer-talk/talk01.html

The ride quality is fine for what you are getting, but I got this car for the overall driving experience. And it still hasn't disappointed me yet.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve driven 36k+ miles in SoCal and have not gotten a ticket so far. *Knock on wood*

Should be fine if don’t drive like a jerk. Don’t tailgate, weave in and out of traffic or have an exhaust thats excessively loud all of the time.

I kinda figured that may be the case, but since the other options I've considered are $30k+, I thought that I might as well go for the endgame for a bit more cash. And to be fair, my driving habits may change with the Type R. The only thing really stopping me is the fear of tickets.

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
i dont track mine at all and i still have fun with it
Hey if you want a fast sporty car just to drive around. I am not saying tracking but tracking or no real spirited driving. To me that is like buying a Mustang Cobra to commute and cruise on a Sunday afternoon. I am not the gut to say don't buy a car if you really like it just do not understand personally why someone would want a car built for performance over anything else as an average daily driver. The Civic Si and LX have a lot more creature comforts and amenities the CTR is pretty much no frills go fast car. To each their own though. YOLO get the car that makes you happy.

Musclebadger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I've been heavily considering the Type R for a while now, ready to grab it as soon as I can find one in stock that's not crazily marked up. However, all this time waiting has given me time to give it some final thoughts before I jump the gun. It's a big purchase for something I never really experienced before, so I'm somewhat questioning if I'd regret it. I love everything about it - the looks included - yet I don't have the experience to tell if buying a fun car is worth it over an A to B machine. (plus, I likely won't be able to drive one until I already own it).

I've only ever had an old 1998 Lexus with 250k miles on it and a 2008 Accord with 230k miles. I've never really been a car guy until I started heavily researching my options last year, when I became financially able to consider a new one. Buying a Type R isn't an irresponsible financial decision, but with how hard it is to get one at a fair price, it makes me wonder if I should put some thought into other options. Yet, there's hasn't been any other car in any price range that I dream about like the Type R. I just don't know how well it'll live up to the expectations in my head.

With the Type R, I don't plan on taking it to the track or doing a lot of spirited driving. I plan on driving it like any daily driver, save for a nice spurt of acceleration or a hard corner every now and then. This makes me wonder, if I'm not taking full advantage of its power, should I really be spending this much money on this kind of car? I know there are other options to consider like the Veloster N which has much greater value, or I could go luxury in this price range, but I feel like I'd regret compromising instead of getting the car I want.

There's also the fact that it's a manual: I recently learned how to drive stick with my friend's Focus ST and I loved it. However, I haven't daily'd one yet. I don't know if it's something I'd get tired of, or even hate. (Hell, before I started getting into cars, I wanted a Tesla for autopilot to make things even easier). My highway commute currently is great for the Type R, but we're in the middle of a pandemic. I don't know how bad it will be once it ends and traffic kicks back up. That being said, inner roads are a perfectly viable option if it gets too bad.

The last point is maintenance costs, which I don't really know what to expect. I like to think I'm alright with footing a higher bill for a fun car, but it's another case of something I won't know until I actually experience it.

What this really comes down to is if it's worth it to consider a car that I don't need, but want. My 230k mile Accord is still chugging, and I could probably get away without buying a new car for another year or two, but I've been heavily considering the upgrade anyways.

Anyways, just wanted to hear some opinions on this from owners. And not going to lie, I'm totally looking for some biased responses to sway me.
Depends on your fiances, and if you are ok with the monthly cost of it if you aren't buying it outright. A car can be a huge money pit, and the idea of paying more for it just boggles my mind. I would like a Type R, but I am not willing to pay extra money over with MSRP.

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
From all the reviews on YT and car mags i’ve seen the CTR is heavily praised as a very streetable car with lots of practicality with the hatch and spacious interior. It feels at home as much on the street as the track. And if the looks don’t bother you I’d say go for it. I decided on an Si instead because my commute to work is only 6 miles one way and my car is parked outside in the elements all day at work with no cover. I’m too anal to subject a CTR to those kinds of conditions and its a waste for my situation. It sounds like you drive plenty of miles so I’m sure you’d enjoy it. Besides the power the 3 things I like about the CTR that my Si doesnt have is the Brembos, auto rev match, and a single mass flywheel.

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
If your looking for an affordable manual I say get an Si. Its almost 10 grand less than the CTR and you get seat warmers and it is still plenty quick and sporty if you do feel spirited and you can throw all the mods and tunes on it you want and make it your own if you are so inclined same as you could the CTR your just getting 100 less BHP out of the box and a good portion of the creature comforts that the other Civic trims offer if indeed your looking for a daily drivers car primarily.

Again not hating just offering my two cents end of the day I always say do what makes you happy. Never settle. I made that mistake and never again. Loving my tuned up Si now that I got out of the last car I had that I hated.

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
From all the reviews on YT and car mags i’ve seen the CTR is heavily praised as a very streetable car with lots of practicality with the hatch and spacious interior. It feels at home as much on the street as the track. And if the looks don’t bother you I’d say go for it. I decided on an Si instead because my commute to work is only 6 miles one way and my car is parked outside in the elements all day at work with no cover. I’m too anal to subject a CTR to those kinds of conditions and its a waste for my situation. It sounds like you drive plenty of miles so I’m sure you’d enjoy it. Besides the power the 3 things I like about the CTR that my Si doesnt have is the Brembos, auto rev match, and a single mass flywheel.
The Brembos I could live without but yea the Single Mass flywheel having to spend a few bucks to change that on my Si and the Auto Rev match is cool. Personally as a purist I would rather blip the throttle myself downshifting but for a beginner driving stick I could see how that could be a benefit.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As an owner who pretty much uses it for what you described, I’d say it really comes down to if you’re willing to forgo some creature comforts in return for a pretty wicked engine and driving experience. For the most part, I’d say it’s worth it, but there are times where I’ve longed for something a little less when I just need to get somewhere.

Don’t get me wrong - this car is a true beast, and if you can tap into its power frequently then go for it. But the one thing I found is that if you’re just using it like a commuter car, there are a few drawbacks. A twisty road reminds me why I bought the car in the first place, but I’d say my car sees far more traffic filled streets than back roads.

Setanta

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 CRX, 99 Integra Type R, MY19 FK8
Country flag
It's a fun car that is comfortable and quick. Just buy it already.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
If you know already that you will have regrets after buying another car, just get the Type R. You don't need to track it to get enjoyment out of it.
Sponsored