Is the TPMS dashlight suppose to come on when you switch wheels?

jdogcarroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic coupe ex-t lunar silver
As the thread states, I installed new wheels (18x9, 235x40x18) from a stock EXT wheel. I know we have the indirect system but I figured a light would still come on and I would have to re-calibrate? I haven't yet considering the light hasn't come on. I figured it would have come on considering the huge size difference in wheel... any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
235/40-18 is stock Sport/Sport Touring hatchback size, so it's not too "different" from stock. ;)

Might as well run the calibration anyway since it's easy. The system can't tell if you have different wheels on or not, but just whether one tire is rolling at a different speed than the others.

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
I went form the stock 17"EX wheels to the stock 18" Sport wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I ran the TPMS calibration as soon as I finished. Its been a week and the light hasn't come on.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
As the thread states, I installed new wheels (18x9, 235x40x18) from a stock EXT wheel. I know we have the indirect system but I figured a light would still come on and I would have to re-calibrate? I haven't yet considering the light hasn't come on. I figured it would have come on considering the huge size difference in wheel... any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Anything that changes the diameter of the tire will set it off. Cold rain, hot weather, or different tire could set it off. So if you recalibrate, then something changes, the light will come on again.

Your new tires are only like 0.2% different in diameter, not enough to set it off, or perhaps offset by a change in tire pressure.

OP
OP
jdogcarroll

jdogcarroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic coupe ex-t lunar silver
oh, wow. I didnt know that was the Sport wheels size. Thats a pretty big wheel stock!

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
oh, wow. I didnt know that was the Sport wheels size. Thats a pretty big wheel stock!
Yeah, it is. I'm not used to it yet, either; sharp little bumps make me fear for the tires' sidewalls.

I'll add: the full specs are 235/40-18 on 18x8 +50 wheels that weigh about 28 friggin' pounds.
Sponsored

Last edited: