Is the ride quality on 18s noticably better compared to the OEM 20s?

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR R-35355/ 2021 SGP Accord Touring
Country flag
Subd, Im looking at going with different wheels, as well. It's a hard decision for me. I'm going to want to keep as close to the plus sizing and scrub radius, as possible. I don't want more torque steer. To me, the car is scary at high speeds, if you need to change lanes.

The car grabs every line in the road, and I find myself holding on with both hands, tight, and making stiff corrections, to keep the car on the road. I for one, am willing to give up the sharpness.

To me, the car is too edgy. I haven't driven it on the track, yet. But you can drive my C7 with one finger at 170 on the straight.

Hi Matt,

Give us a call at (510) 258-1312 and mention that you are a CivicX member to get discounted forum pricing on your next set of wheels!
Do you guys have an actual showroom for people to come check out wheels? I know some places just drop ship from their location, and don't actually let customers come in? I work in Vacaville, so Hayward isnt that far.
Sponsored

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
You think none of these changes would’ve happened had I gone with PS4S for example? I guess what I’m trying to say is, the point of going from 20 to 18 is to add some sidewall. Extra sidewall will be responsible for all of these regardless of which type of tire.
No, sidewall is not the only thing responsible for changing the handling characteristics here, nor should you expect just going to PS4S' would it be exactly like OEM.

The tire you chose has less grip despite being wider. The weight of your wheels is also quite a bit lighter per corner than the stock 20's.

If your main goal was just to get some additional side wall, and you're happy with the way it currently handles, then I wouldn't worry too much.

On the other hand though, if you want some of the handling from stock, start looking at stickier tires.

titoqslaq

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
No, sidewall is not the only thing responsible for changing the handling characteristics here, nor should you expect just going to PS4S' would it be exactly like OEM.

The tire you chose has less grip despite being wider. The weight of your wheels is also quite a bit lighter per corner than the stock 20's.

If your main goal was just to get some additional side wall, and you're happy with the way it currently handles, then I wouldn't worry too much.

On the other hand though, if you want some of the handling from stock, start looking at stickier tires.
What would be your ideal 18 combo? Taking size and tire model into account.

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I haven't driven anything with PS4S tires, on it, but I know that the pilot Super Sports handle corners better, from listening to what people thought about them, in the Corvette community.

When it was time to change my tires, I went with the stock Pilot Super Sports, on my C7, because I didn't want to be disappointed with the handling. Tires make all the difference, in the world.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What would be your ideal 18 combo? Taking size and tire model into account.
Size is the only thing I could give you as I may have a different goal than you when it comes to handling. If I was to go 18x9.5, I would probably couple it with a 255/40/18 size tire.

For the actual tire itself, I'm looking at TRYING the Advan sport V105 next, if not, I will be getting PS4S.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Subd, Im looking at going with different wheels, as well. It's a hard decision for me. I'm going to want to keep as close to the plus sizing and scrub radius, as possible. I don't want more torque steer. To me, the car is scary at high speeds, if you need to change lanes.

The car grabs every line in the road, and I find myself holding on with both hands, tight, and making stiff corrections, to keep the car on the road. I for one, am willing to give up the sharpness.

To me, the car is too edgy. I haven't driven it on the track, yet. But you can drive my C7 with one finger at 170 on the straight.

Do you guys have an actual showroom for people to come check out wheels? I know some places just drop ship from their location, and don't actually let customers come in? I work in Vacaville, so Hayward isnt that far.
Maybe you would prefer an all season tire? Or something just less sticky in general.

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I debated which wheels to buy for months and finally ordered some 19x9.5 SSR GTX01 on Saturday. I decided that the 19" would be the best compromise between performance and comfort. I'm going with 255/35/19 PS4S and the tires are not much more expensive than 265/35/18. Costco has $150 savings on Michelin until June 15.

System Motorsports

Thomson
CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Thomson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag

We can bring out certain sets for viewing. We keep majority of our inventory in-house, and we are not a dropship-only shop. We get weekly pallets directly from Rays USA.

System Motorsports

Thomson
CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Thomson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag

Honda Civic 10th gen Is the ride quality on 18s noticably better compared to the OEM 20s? PVjFAh8

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe you would prefer an all season tire? Or something just less sticky in general.
I don’t think it has anything to do with it being stickier, at that speed. It’s just like a wagon wheel that catches the ruts in the road. When you whip around someone and accelerate, the car wants to torque steer, all over the place. Not sure if going to 18s would help that. I’d have to drive one with 18s on it, to see

We can bring out certain sets for viewing. We keep majority of our inventory in-house, and we are not a dropship-only shop. We get weekly pallets directly from Rays USA.
Gawd, this is nothing but trouble, being this close to my house, and in stock. I have a hard time deciding on wheels. If I’m spending that much money, I want to be sure. I also really like the Rays G025

Damn! I may need 2 sets. ?

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a hard time deciding on wheels. If I’m spending that much money, I want to be sure.
I made the mistake of looking at TE37s and now I'm debating if I can swing a pair of those... I can't believe how much cheaper tires are with 18s compared to 20s, my god. That might make it more doable

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I made the mistake of looking at TE37s and now I'm debating if I can swing a pair of those... I can't believe how much cheaper tires are with 18s compared to 20s, my god. That might make it more doable
I’ll help your decision. The G025s only coming in 19, and 20s. ?

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It only makes sense if the price of the wheels makes sense. Think about it, how fast do you realistically think you'll go through enough tires to eventually cover the wheel purchase.. that is, of course, if you're looking at it from a $$$ perspective.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It only makes sense if the price of the wheels makes sense. Think about it, how fast do you realistically think you'll go through enough tires to eventually cover the wheel purchase.. that is, of course, if you're looking at it from a $$$ perspective.
Ehh, at this point it's probably more about comfort than price. A pair of bronze 57dr's is what I might end up going with. That price is far more agreeable.

vasekvi

First Name
Vasek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I just went up to a 35 series sidewall all season tire on a spare set of OEM wheels for daily use. Much more bearable on rougher surfaces. Speedo difference is negligible. At 75mph indicated, Waze was showing 77.
Honda Civic 10th gen Is the ride quality on 18s noticably better compared to the OEM 20s? 20200527_204521_HDR
Sponsored