Is the ride quality on 18s noticably better compared to the OEM 20s?

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can most likely get these at a better deal from @System Motorsports if they have them in stock. They're a vendor on here.
Sweet, good looking around. I was just on that site looking at shift knobs primarily. Titan 7s also piqued my interest too.

SBD47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Honda CR-V
Country flag
Night and day. A good, lightweight set of 18s with sticky tires, is one of the best upgrades you can make to the Type-R!

xdecemberguy

First Name
Randrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Why are people always recommending 18's over 19's? Is it just because of more protection for the rim? I would choose 19's over 18's because I like the thin tire look but that's just me.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Why are people always recommending 18's over 19's? Is it just because of more protection for the rim? I would choose 19's over 18's because I like the thin tire look but that's just me.
Tire price and amount of side wall are probably the biggest reasons. There seems to be a substantial difference going from 18-19. 19's seem pretty close to 20's in regular price.

titoqslaq

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
I have those exact wheels with Firehawk Indy 500s at 265/35/18. No lowering springs. Here’s what I’ve noticed, some of it might have to do with the tires though:
1- Yes, you’ll feel that it’s less direct. The difference is noticeable but I wouldn’t call it soft. That change when you switch from Sport to R mode is less shocking.
2- That annoying wheel hop when accelerating hard is diminished some. Feels more like a burnout less like wheel hop.
3- Regarding curves, it feels like I lost some traction (lateral acceleration) with the 18s. Still, it’s a more progressive/predictive situation. Frankly I prefer it this way.
4- Speed bumps and pot holes are no longer painful/scary. I’m also not freaking out about curbs either. Big quality of life change.

TacticalToolbox

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
YouTube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2009 FA5
Country flag
It's a night and day difference to me, especially if you're lowered.
When lowered, I felt like the OEM wheels would rattle your teeth out.
Then when I put the 18s on, it made the car feel like it did before lowering it.

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
Tires play a big role in ride quality as well. Make sure you get a good set of tires.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tires play a big role in ride quality as well. Make sure you get a good set of tires.
What are some recommended tire sizes on 18s? Preferably the more sidewall the better.

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
The usual 255/40/18 or 265/35/18. If you’re planning on lowering in the future, go with 265/35/18.

CnoEVO

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2021 Cadillac Escalade
Country flag
I just switched last week to 18 inch wheels with a 255/40/18 tire. I feel like I lost more direct feel than I thought I would. The car is smooth and it seems easier to drive fast without worrying about potholes. To me its a much more comfortable, softer ride but the car did seem to lose a little of its edge at least with my set up.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
I have those exact wheels with Firehawk Indy 500s at 265/35/18. No lowering springs. Here’s what I’ve noticed, some of it might have to do with the tires though:
1- Yes, you’ll feel that it’s less direct. The difference is noticeable but I wouldn’t call it soft. That change when you switch from Sport to R mode is less shocking.
2- That annoying wheel hop when accelerating hard is diminished some. Feels more like a burnout less like wheel hop.
3- Regarding curves, it feels like I lost some traction (lateral acceleration) with the 18s. Still, it’s a more progressive/predictive situation. Frankly I prefer it this way.
4- Speed bumps and pot holes are no longer painful/scary. I’m also not freaking out about curbs either. Big quality of life change.
Everything listed here is from tires pretty much.

1. Less direct is because of tires. Feeling from Sport to R being similar (assuming you mean when turning) is due to wheel weight.
2. Less grip = more spinning in this case.
3. Less grip again.
4. More side wall.

Mugenteg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I’m running 265/35-18 Michelin Pilot AS3 and there is definitely a difference in ride quality.

System Motorsports

Thomson
CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Thomson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag
Sweet, good looking around. I was just on that site looking at shift knobs primarily. Titan 7s also piqued my interest too.
Hi Matt,

Give us a call at (510) 258-1312 and mention that you are a CivicX member to get discounted forum pricing on your next set of wheels!

titoqslaq

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Everything listed here is from tires pretty much.

1. Less direct is because of tires. Feeling from Sport to R being similar (assuming you mean when turning) is due to wheel weight.
2. Less grip = more spinning in this case.
3. Less grip again.
4. More side wall.
You think none of these changes would’ve happened had I gone with PS4S for example? I guess what I’m trying to say is, the point of going from 20 to 18 is to add some sidewall. Extra sidewall will be responsible for all of these regardless of which type of tire.
Sponsored