Is the ride quality on 18s noticably better compared to the OEM 20s?

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Z/28, '22 Ridgeline , '22 CR-V Hybrid
Country flag
On stock suspension, these 18x9.5 +40 enkei ts-v wheels and 255/40 Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ tires have not disappointed in ~3k mi

IMG_20200412_133424.jpg

IMG_20200412_133416.jpg

IMG_20200412_133441.jpg

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
You think none of these changes would’ve happened had I gone with PS4S for example? I guess what I’m trying to say is, the point of going from 20 to 18 is to add some sidewall. Extra sidewall will be responsible for all of these regardless of which type of tire.
Yeah... I meant to post this yesterday.
The wheel and tire are part of the suspension. Think of the wheel and tire as damper-spring combo in series. Where the wheel is a very stiff spring and tire is the damper. You're basically replacing metal with rubber. Any sidewall is going to be more forgiving than metal. The most sturdy tire sidewalls I've seen are run flats, which makes sense because they have to carry the load without air. However, I doubt they will even be close to metal. If you wanted to the closes nimbleness to stock, run flats would be it.

FWIW, during the winter, I put 18s on my car because of fun winter things like frost heaves. When I switch back to the stock wheels, I feel like I'm rewarded with driving the CTR again.
It really sucks you can't test drive tires and wheels because it's a balance of trade-offs and some of that comes down to preference.

islander670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (Sold), 2019 Clarity, 2020 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just went up to a 35 series sidewall all season tire on a spare set of OEM wheels for daily use. Much more bearable on rougher surfaces. Speedo difference is negligible. At 75mph indicated, Waze was showing 77.
20200527_204521_HDR.jpg
Are you on stock suspension?

System Motorsports

Thomson
CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Thomson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R
Country flag
I don’t think it has anything to do with it being stickier, at that speed. It’s just like a wagon wheel that catches the ruts in the road. When you whip around someone and accelerate, the car wants to torque steer, all over the place. Not sure if going to 18s would help that. I’d have to drive one with 18s on it, to see

Gawd, this is nothing but trouble, being this close to my house, and in stock. I have a hard time deciding on wheels. If I’m spending that much money, I want to be sure. I also really like the Rays G025

Damn! I may need 2 sets. ?
Let us know when you are ready!

vasekvi

First Name
Vasek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Thank you for the reply. I forgot to ask, do you have rubbing issues?
I did not have rubbing issues with the spacers until I went with the 35 series tires. Then I had to roll my fenders. BFG Sport Comp 2 with broad shoulder blocks still rubbed occasionally. Switching to General GMax AS 05 made the rubbing go away. My other set of oem wheels have Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires in oem size which I reserve for mountain runs.

islander670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did not have rubbing issues with the spacers until I went with the 35 series tires. Then I had to roll my fenders. BFG Sport Comp 2 with broad shoulder blocks still rubbed occasionally. Switching to General GMax AS 05 made the rubbing go away. My other set of oem wheels have Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires in oem size which I reserve for mountain runs.
I see. I was planning to keep the offset stock with just a step to 35 series. Thanks for the reply.

vasekvi

First Name
Vasek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I see. I was planning to keep the offset stock with just a step to 35 series. Thanks for the reply.
In that case you can even go with 255/35-20 and not have any rub as a local R owner is already doing.

islander670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In that case you can even go with 255/35-20 and not have any rub as a local R owner is already doing.
I read somewhere that it also depends on the tire brand. Can be all the same size but the shape design of the corners matter. I will keep that size in mind. Thanks again for the advice.

vasekvi

First Name
Vasek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I read somewhere that it also depends on the tire brand. Can be all the same size but the shape design of the corners matter. I will keep that size in mind. Thanks again for the advice.
Michelin Pilot Sport AS is what he is running no rub
Honda Civic 10th gen Is the ride quality on 18s noticably better compared to the OEM 20s? received_3225803284139038

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
19" wheels are also an option. I'm running 255/35ZR19. No rubbing and no speedo error, either.

BOOSTFAN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, MX5, TVR Griff 500.
Country flag
Stock car with 18s & 245 Michelins. Its worth it just for peace of mind with potholes around here.
Honda Civic 10th gen Is the ride quality on 18s noticably better compared to the OEM 20s? IMG_0507
Sponsored