Is the power on the 10th gen Civic SI enough?

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
I think a GTI resale is so poor and Type R so high that it would cost the same over the life of the car. Unless you buy a used GTI at close to trade in, then you might make out.
I bought a new gti autobahn 2019 for $27k :)
Sponsored

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I did not care for the Rev hang on the SI stock at all. It was not acceptable for me, and if you don't intend to mod/tune your car, then I strongly advise you to take a long test drive before you buy it.

I know that I've said it before, but I love the Veloster N as an Si alternative. Good power stock, comes with really neat features (like active exhaust), and it feels great as a commuter car. It reminded me a lot of the GTI, except with a cheaper interior and a more driver focused feature set.

Last edited:

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I bought a new gti autobahn 2019 for $27k :)
Nice, I think I could have gotten an SE w/ Perf Package for as low as $26k if you refuse the 0%. It's a friggen steal really, especially with 2020 DCC/Fender-equipped cars at $37k.

I test drive a GTI three times, could never pull the trigger, not sure why. I prefer the Si for some reason.

Chuckles4

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
As someone mentioned above, this is probably worthless since the OP peaced out, but as someone who was in a similar position before the purchase, I'll say the following (if only because this is the internet and I MUST see my opinions in writing!):
I've owned tuned a tuned Audi A4 and a 2007 WRX hatch. Sold both within a couple years because of the awful gas mileage and constant mechanical issues, especially the Audi which is just a money pit. After 4 years of zipping around in a turbo RDX, I really really missed manual transmission.

I thought for sure I was going to get into a mid 2010s WRX hatch, but after test driving one and doing a lot of homework, I just decided that WRXs are basically just amazing motors with plastic boxes attached to them for you to sit in. And they get shit for gas mileage. The Si offers a bit less throw-you-back-in-your-seat power, but in exchange you get a solid, comfortable cabin with all kinds of creature comforts and 35+ MPG, not to mention rock solid reliability and all at a cheaper price.

This sounds like a diss, but the Si is kind of the perfect compromise across all these factors. But if you absolutely have to have max power or AWD then definitely don't buy this car. Also, no one should EVER be comparing Sis with STIs or Golf Rs. That's straight-up apples and oranges and if those are the cars you're considering, don't get a Si unless you plan to dump another $10-15k into it off the bat.

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
Back when I bought my 2018 Si, I weighed it against the WRX, Focus ST, and GTI... it was the best balance across the board. Honestly it reminded me a lot of my 2005 GTI as far as power and handling. I agree with Chuckles4 100%. I did try a ktuner on it for a bit but the added power threw the entire car out of balance from where I sat.

SFerrusco

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si (Ktuner, K&N Intake)
Country flag
I would go with the Civic Si + Ktuner to give it a little bit more power. I know you don't have to mod the vehicle but the ktuner can be reverse back at any time without the need of taking taking the vehicle apart.
Plus this Gen seems to be the last for coupes.

Si_NSX904

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, if you want more you should've bought something else.

StevenGregory

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
My Si is a 2017, purchased new in August of that year. It offers the best balanced performance of any car I've ever owned (going back to a Formula S Barracuda in 1966 and including a Porsche 356-B 1600 Super, a 3.8 Jag E-type and a 440 C.I. Dodge R-T). Never being satisfied with anything left stock, I'm running K&N cold air induction and a Hondata flash at +9 PSI (when running in "sport" mode).

The stock chassis handles the additional power very well. I've been on two road coarse tracks with it and surprised the hell out of drivers of V-8 powered "performance" cars.

I'm pulling as much as a 43 mpg average on highway trips. As added bonuses, the suspension is without fault: very supple, yet very controlled and the car is quite comfortable for long trips. I have over 75,000 miles on the car and am very likely to keep it another three years at least.

BTW, I've had absolutely NO problems with the car despite the added power.

My only complaint: the rev hang is a pain in the ass (when not in the Hondata sport performance mode) but it's something you learn to deal with.

I can't recommend the car enough.

StevenGregory

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
My Si is a 2017, purchased new in August of that year. It offers the best balanced performance of any car I've ever owned (going back to a Formula S Barracuda in 1966 and including a Porsche 356-B 1600 Super, a 3.8 Jag E-type and a 440 C.I. Dodge R-T). Never being satisfied with anything left stock, I'm running K&N cold air induction and a Hondata flash at +9 PSI (when running in "sport" mode). The stock chassis handles the additional power very well and I'm pulling as much as a 43 mpg average on highway trips. As added bonuses: the suspension is without fault: very supple, yet very controlled and the car is quite comfortable for long trips. I have over 75,000 mile on the car and am very likely to keep it another three years at least.

My only complaint: the rev hang is a pain in the ass (when not in the Hondata sport performance mode) but it's something you learn to deal with.

boekhour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Prestige 1.5T 2018
Country flag
This comparison says it all:

Honda civic 1.0 Moose test:

VW GTI Moose test:

The Honda jazz even does 85km/u...

Here in the Netherlands a Golf GTI has a farmers/asshole image. Unreliable , and after 3 years second hand sold mostly to road-warriors/assholes. Golf GTI/R is absolutely not Cool. And when you are unlucky they are money pits, just like Audis and BMWs. As an European I have learnt my lessons, and I'm not buying this stuff anymore.
However the new Civic is somewhat exclusive, more for gentlemen and know for its
reliability, excellent handling, reasonably fast and quite sparingly with petrol. And last but not least Max Verstappen also drives Honda :)

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
This comparison says it all:

Honda civic 1.0 Moose test:

VW GTI Moose test:

The Honda jazz even does 85km/u...

Here in the Netherlands a Golf GTI has a farmers/asshole image. Unreliable , and after 3 years second hand sold mostly to road-warriors/assholes. Golf GTI/R is absolutely not Cool. And when you are unlucky they are money pits, just like Audis and BMWs. As an European I have learnt my lessons, and I'm not buying this stuff anymore.
However the new Civic is somewhat exclusive, more for gentlemen and know for its
reliability, excellent handling, reasonably fast and quite sparingly with petrol. And last but not least Max Verstappen also drives Honda :)
Not sure what a 1.0 engined Euro hatch has to do with a Civic Si. Two very different cars.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He's showing how the hatch handles better than a GTI, and the Si would be even tighter handling than that.

Joe1986

Banned
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
For almost a year now I’ve been looking to buy a new car around the $25k (Canadian $) price range, looking primarily at 2013-2014 Subaru STi’s, golf Rs and some Bmw M235is. But after looking at all the cars, there have been things pushing me away from a purchase of one of these vehicles used, such as high km, high insurance and gas prices and mainly just insecurity about buying one of these vehicles used let alone modified. So after looking for months on months I’ve decided to scrap the idea of getting one of those 3 cars and now I’m seriously considering getting a low km used 10th gen Civic si coupe but I’m concerned the car is going to feel underpowered or like a commuter’s vehicle and I don’t want to mod the car. I know I can test drive the car and see for myself but a 20 minute drive on busy city streets isn’t going to truly show me what the car is capable of. So in the end I’m wondering from a SI owners point of view if the car is “fast and fun” compared to a STi or golf R even though they’re not on the same level of performance.
Its no where near an sti and a gold r would destroy it stock for stock...I'm tuned out to the max I can beat stock si but the golf r destroyed me in drag racing

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
the golf r destroyed me in drag racing
Hey Joe. You do realize you have a base CVT turbo right? I mean I love my car's better power and driveability too with the tune. I've had some fun suprising some WRX's and some GTI's out there on the road. But a Golf R is pushing close to 300 hp and tq stock. It's a car that does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds according to C&D.

Maybe it's time to enjoy your car for what it is. A fun commuter. Not a Golf R or Corvette competitor on the dragstrip. Just my thoughts anyway.

2020CivicSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Given that you're considering an sti and a golf r, the power the si has probably isn't what you're looking for.

Personally, I love my si. Handles good, feels well balanced and the mpgs are off the charts. I do wish that the car came stock with 250ish HP though, but with this crazy ass gas mileage I can't complain. The car feels like it'd be fun on the track. I'd say that the si is more about handling than power though. Again, the power is good but a golf r/sti is going to mercilessly stomp all over a stock si in in the power department.
Sponsored