Is the power on the 10th gen Civic SI enough?

relindwto6

First Name
relin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
renault
Country flag
For almost a year now I’ve been looking to buy a new car around the $25k (Canadian $) price range, looking primarily at 2013-2014 Subaru STi’s, golf Rs and some Bmw M235is. But after looking at all the cars, there have been things pushing me away from a purchase of one of these vehicles used, such as high km, high insurance and gas prices and mainly just insecurity about buying one of these vehicles used let alone modified. So after looking for months on months I’ve decided to scrap the idea of getting one of those 3 cars and now I’m seriously considering getting a low km used 10th gen Civic si coupe but I’m concerned the car is going to feel underpowered or like a commuter’s vehicle and I don’t want to mod the car. I know I can test drive the car and see for myself but a 20 minute drive on busy city streets isn’t going to truly show me what the car is capable of. So in the end I’m wondering from a SI owners point of view if the car is “fast and fun” compared to a STi or golf R even though they’re not on the same level of performance.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
It is a well balanced car with nice amounts of torque and excellent handling. The icing on the cake is the incredible mpg you get.

In the end though, in stock form, these are essentially commuter vehicles, not sports cars, but for most owners, it's a very fun, reliable ride.

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
You might want to specify what kind of power and performance is acceptable to you (acceleration, top speed, etc.) so that the SI owners can pitch in on whether the SI is capable of it.

I know HP isn't everything but to give an example, there is about a hundred horses difference betweem the STI and the SI. Also, the former is AWD while the later is FWD.

Good luck in your hunt and I hope you are happy with whichever car you choose :)

16LXMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6MT
Country flag
Even when I first sat in a type R my first thought was it still feels like a civic.

Keropi76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
I think the Civic SI was a perfect choice. I like the fact that in normal it has enough kick to get ahead at a stop light and get 6.4L/100km on the highway cruising (i can even get lower than that) and if I want performance I just press the sport button.

I admit I wanted more of a difference when pressing the sport button that when the ktuner came in. With the settings I have I love my car and it might actually be one of the first cars I keep for longer than 2years.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Even when I first sat in a type R my first thought was it still feels like a civic.
Because it is? The CTR isn't going to blow anyone's mind just by sitting in it. The interior isn't why it costs so much more than a lower trim level Civic.

16LXMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6MT
Country flag
Because it is? The CTR isn't going to blow anyone's mind just by sitting in it. The interior isn't why it costs so much more than a lower trim level Civic.
Correct, I was trying to enforce where the OP said he's worried the Si will feel like a commuter, even the type R still feels like a cheap commuter until you take it on the track.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
This while being on the Phearable tune... Granted, it's all highway mileage but there's power on tap. Is it enough power? Well, that's completely subjective.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is the power on the 10th gen Civic SI enough? 2020-08-01 09.57.48-1

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
The Si is a fun zippy car stock. The handling is amazing, power is just adequate. It’s no drag racer for sure, even tuned. Overall it’s a really fun and engaging car to drive. Add a tune and the car completely wakes up. Fuel economy is amazing given the performance.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Si is going to feel more like a commuter compared the STi and M235i for sure. The Golf R is pretty sedate but it would be faster. The Si will have lower maintenance costs and better MPGs though, and will still give you some pep when you need it.

So it depends, I think the Si compares well enough to a WRX and GTI. The Golf R/STi competes more with a Type R though, so the Si might be a little underpowered compared head to head. The Si is a better bargain.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
A car like an M235i puts a huge grin on your face when you step on the gas. You won't ever get that with an Si. It's the Miata of sport sedans, not the Dodge Challenger.

It's torquey though, way more than normally aspirated four cylinder Hondas you might be used to.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Op, what about GTI? A new gti cost around $26k.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yup like everyone said above it's a commuter car. However you can get a few key upgrades and honestly beat a decent amount of cars. Go stage 2 tune + E85 and that alone will give you plenty torque and power to beat quite a few cars. Only thing with that route is the other supporting mods that you'll have to go with such as an upgraded clutch since the clutches on these cars are pretty weak. I have a few buddies in my njxgens group that are pushing 330hp+, one of them actually just dynoed 357/307 and he can beat plenty STI's and R's

SouthSideBeef

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR86
Country flag
I'm gonna point out that op stated he does not want to mod the car.

That being said, the si is definitely underpowered compared to the other cars you mentioned. Go test drive one first but honestly I would get something with more power unless you have a good amount of fun curvy roads you can hit up regularly. The straight line performance is lacking in stock form.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I actually chose the Si cause I needed a work commuter car, and the Sport hatch I had lacked an LSD for winter, LEDs for night-time driving (could hardly see anything with the halogen lights), lacked Carplay etc. So I actually bought it as a commuter car, rather than as a sports sedan. If the Sport or Touring hatch had an LSD and LEDs I'd have bought that instead.

Having said that, the GTI isn't more fun, just faster, and the better cars are all $5-10k more.
Sponsored