Is the power on the 10th gen Civic SI enough?

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
In my opinion if you like to street race in a straight line, it’s lacking. However, if you ever get the opportunity to street race into a turn you will always power through. My ego takes a shot losing to a V6 Camry every now and then, Heh? Don’t even get me started on Kia drivers on the interstate ? I have competed in 2 autocrosses, and ended up in the top 8 every time. My Si is a very practical car in my opinion, for someone just starting out in their career it’s a great bang for the buck. I spent $1000 on gas (38.3 MPG average) and ~$130 on maintenance the first year of ownership on my ‘19 Si; VERY affordable. Eventually I will upgrade to a Focus RS, CTR, or something in that category, but for now I’m alright ?? I think 10th Gen Si’s look badass too.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is the power on the 10th gen Civic SI enough? F3FA44FC-7E0D-4FB3-BC96-0A2B438BDB2A
Sponsored

Amazon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS
Country flag
When I had my FG2's, the Si was as fast as the GTI but was better on the track, it was also faster than the V6 Mustang and Camaro and would absolutely embarrassed them around any track. Today the Si is a good bit slower than the GTI and both are fairly similar around the track. The American competition is now a lot faster and are very competent on the track too.

Translate that sort of prowess into modern day performance and the SI would essentially perform like the CTR compared to the competition.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Have you been on circuits with other cars? If not, it won't matter what parts you replace til you have a few days experience.

You have a terrific track in Mosport close to you. Tremblant is better but that's what, 5 hrs from Toronto? I've driven both - two day events - those are tough tracks to learn much in one day.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
More companies should do this - make cohesive well done, low-cost performance tweaks to a model. $32k is pretty reasonable too. Not for me, and I wouldn't want an auto, but cool that Toyota made it.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So you've never driven on a track, that's what I figured, lol. The part that needs upgrading is you, not the car. Guys who've actually been to track days have seen it many times, a guy shows up, is really slow and blames the car, spends a ton of money to upgrade it, is still slow, so trades the car and gets something faster. Good luck!

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
but I’m concerned the car is going to feel underpowered or like a commuter’s vehicle and I don’t want to mod the car
A stock Si is going to feel "underpowered or like a commuter" compared to your aforementioned

2013-2014 Subaru STi’s, golf Rs and some Bmw M235is
I dumped a '15 Si for the '18 Si as I knew a good chunk of power was up for grabs by just raising the turbo's boost pressure. It was so undersized... that it really limited what was available but ~50 whp was cheap and easy. If you compare the 1.5 Si to a 2.0 GTI w/a much larger stock turbo... the GTI can approach 300 whp on a reflash whereas the Si will be stuck around 240 whp reflash alone.

Based on your no-mod desire and other cars your comparing... I'd give the Si a pass. It is a slow-ish car that's cheap to feed and maintain with outstanding handling and is a car to hold momentum and have fun carving up a twisty road. It's lackluster in a straight line stock... and gets marginally better under interstate speeds when modded due to it being a FWD platform and traction limited. The 3 cars you brought to the comparo are AWD or RWD and will eat up a Si with their traction and from having 1/2 again it's stock power and all have modding headroom in their own right.

You should definitely give them all a test drive though and see what you like best. I think you'd quickly get used to a stock Si's power and get tired of it quickly. I'd never of gotten a gen 10 Si if I was going to keep it stock. It being turbocharged from the factory... despite the tiny engine and tiny turbo... meant getting a bump in power was easier and I was quickly out-of-love with my '15 which lacked the character of the older, higher revving K-series cars.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think a GTI resale is so poor and Type R so high that it would cost the same over the life of the car. Unless you buy a used GTI at close to trade in, then you might make out.
Sponsored