Is the more damage when stalling rather than normal wear?

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
Slowing and braking to light - fifth to third at around 25mph, then at just before stop neutral.
Sponsored

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh shoot I didn't even know that. What's the reasoning for this?
Engine braking - but the bigger reason to slow down in gear is if you need traction suddenly, you get it instantly by just gassing it.

If you are in N you have to shift and get back I to gear and lose even more traction.

dantwan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I don't understand what you guys are talking about with "losing traction" by being out of gear, if anything you have the most tractio
lol, well... ya.. but I did explain why I REEEEEEE'd

I didn't say popping into neutral will automatically cause extra wear on your transmission that will lead to premature failure, but I did outline the benefits of it. Especially for the last reason I mentioned. It's not just about saving gas.

I just googled "should I coast in neutral" and here's the very first link that shows up outlining what I said. Even goes as far as to say it's illegal in some places (that also seems a bit extreme though lol):
https://www.mercurynews.com/2014/05...-illegal-and-dumb-and-a-lot-of-drivers-do-it/
1. When I clicked that link I think I immediately got herpes from all the ads
2. This article is about coasting downhill in neutral, not coming to a complete stop
3. Give me an example of when you're halting to a stop at a stop sign or a red light or backed up traffic, and you need to accelerate? Accelerate into traffic?
4. What is it with you people in thinking you magically have more traction because you're in gear? The traction between the road and your tires is exactly the same regardless if you're in neutral or in gear, with the exception of losing traction because you're accelerating hard in gear.

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't understand what you guys are talking about with "losing traction" by being out of gear, if anything you have the most tractio

2. This article is about coasting downhill in neutral, not coming to a complete stop
3. Give me an example of when you're halting to a stop at a stop sign or a red light or backed up traffic, and you need to accelerate? Accelerate into traffic?
4. What is it with you people in thinking you magically have more traction because you're in gear? The traction between the road and your tires is exactly the same regardless if you're in neutral or in gear, with the exception of losing traction because you're accelerating hard in gear.

Iirc It's discouraged in most state driving manuals because it takes you longer to actually take complete control on your vehicle again if you need it - going back in gear.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
You should always be in gear, accelerating, decelerating, cruising, always. Always being in an appropriate gear assures the car can move out immediately if an emergency situation arises. New drivers are known for getting nervous and giving too much throttle and dumping the clutch when an emergency situation presents itself. Riding the clutch is a lazy habit used by people who haven't learned to rev match and downshift properly. Coasting out of gear, wastes fuel. Coasting in gear, saves fuel. Using the engine to slow the car down saves on brake pad wear. The clutch wear is negligible. Check any hyper miling forum for a detailed explanation/justifaction.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Seriously, I feel like this car sounds/feels so much worse stalling than anything else I've driven.

First manual car and about two months in, went to a friends with a gated apartment complex a month or so ago and naturally the gate started closing as my car was approaching so I panic braked while in 2nd and I will never unhear that awful stalling sound. Only the second time I've ever stalled the car, but still.
I can’t say for certain. But I think it’s so bad because this clutch is very light. People have been reporting that the clutch is wearing out faster than Previous generations.
I have a feeling a lot of people are panicking and changing their clutch out when it’s not necessary though. I’ve yet to see someone post a picture of their worn clutch with only 30k miles on it.
However if you are tuned and making significantly more torque than stock, the clutch can’t handle it. So people are changing out for a FX300/FX350 and a single mass flywheel.
I also think people are mistaking the new valve timing in this car for a clutch slipping. It doesn't just use 2 cam profiles like the Old VTEC, It feels very surgy when you mash the throttle.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
You should always be in gear, accelerating, decelerating, cruising, always. Always being in an appropriate gear assures the car can move out immediately if an emergency situation arises. New drivers are known for getting nervous and giving too much throttle and dumping the clutch when an emergency situation presents itself. Riding the clutch is a lazy habit used by people who haven't learned to rev match and downshift properly. Coasting out of gear, wastes fuel. Coasting in gear, saves fuel. Using the engine to slow the car down saves on brake pad wear. The clutch wear is negligible. Check any hyper miling forum for a detailed explanation/justifaction.
You sit at a light in 1st gear with the clutch pedal pressed to the floor? You must have nice left calf muscle.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
You sit at a light in 1st gear with the clutch pedal pressed to the floor? You must have nice left calf muscle.

Lol. In a Civic? Lightest clutch effort ever. Hell I did it in my WRX, Z06, and EvoX which required far more clutch effort. I generally rock back and forth using the clutch when stopped at a light. Contrary to what some will tell you, do so results in very little clutch wear.

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Lol. In a Civic? Lightest clutch effort ever. Hell I did it in my WRX, Z06, and EvoX which required far more clutch effort. I generally rock back and forth using the clutch when stopped at a light. Contrary to what some will tell you, do so results in very little clutch wear.

I don't rock back and forth, but I do sit in first with the clutch fully depressed at every stop haha

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
I imagine you mean on a mostly flat road (no throttle while rocking)? I made the mistake of trying to inch on a moderate hill and I got burning clutch smell within 10 seconds lol. Can't imagine riding the clutch on a hill while stopped

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I imagine you mean on a mostly flat road (no throttle while rocking)? I made the mistake of trying to inch on a moderate hill and I got burning clutch smell within 10 seconds lol. Can't imagine riding the clutch on a hill while stopped
On a mild to steep incline I use the brakes and keep the clutch to the floor. Brake hold feature sure makes that easier. On a slight incline or flat, I generally roll back and forth an inch or so, typically able to find a slight divot to catch a tire and hold me in place. No burning clutch smell ever in my civic.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
back to stalling- it is not good for sure, but its going to happen. stalling when coming to a stop is bad, will happen sometimes. the more it happens the worse for the car. this is why i limit my cars to one learn to drive a manual transmission period. lucky for me never had a second customer.

light vs heavy clutch--gotta go to a manual clutch linkage for a real heavy clutch, even those are nuttin, you had to move up to a racing clutch for a somewhat hard and heavy clutch. the muscle cars with 4 speeds would get a little old in stop and go if it lasted too long.

WhiteSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Lately I've been hypermiling my Civic a bit, last time getting a combined tank mileage of 37mpg!

A key part of my technique has been coasting along the last portion of a road, or up to a stoplight.
If you are in gear, the engine braking works against you, slowing you down too much. I get to the point of shifting into 5th and just go to neutral instead, coasting to the end of the road, where I will need to turn, and the other drivers will be wastefully braking and accelerating. I simply coast up and at that point they are all through the intersection and I've used very little fuel to idle. It's also useful for extended downhill portions of my commute.

I was inspired by a pizza guy who reported that extended idling in his Civic did not hurt his gas mileage that much. Granted, it's not as much fun as double clutch downshifting to the turn/light, but it has definitely raised my city mpg.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lately I've been hypermiling my Civic a bit, last time getting a combined tank mileage of 37mpg!

A key part of my technique has been coasting along the last portion of a road, or up to a stoplight.
If you are in gear, the engine braking works against you, slowing you down too much. I get to the point of shifting into 5th and just go to neutral instead, coasting to the end of the road, where I will need to turn, and the other drivers will be wastefully braking and accelerating. I simply coast up and at that point they are all through the intersection and I've used very little fuel to idle. It's also useful for extended downhill portions of my commute.

I was inspired by a pizza guy who reported that extended idling in his Civic did not hurt his gas mileage that much. Granted, it's not as much fun as double clutch downshifting to the turn/light, but it has definitely raised my city mpg.
Leave it in gear, downshift as you coast if you feel it is lugging at idle. You will consistently get above 40mpg.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is the more damage when stalling rather than normal wear? 20190828_074217

Danimal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
Leaving it in gear, in some circumstances, is a hypermiler technique due to the fact that fueling is cut to or close to zero on decel. Idling the engine and coasting can be less fuel efficient.
Sponsored