Is the more damage when stalling rather than normal wear?

bakingpancake

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2018
Country flag
Hey guys first post! I have a civic si 2018 at 8k miles and my friends wants to learn how to drive stick so they can buy their own. Some of them don't have parents who can teach them so I'm basically their only option and car haha. I don't mind having them learn in a parking lot just how to get out of first, when they do get their actual first manual car that's when I"ll teach them everything basically but for now just getting out of first and being able to drive.

I had a few of them try it out and surprisingly they did amazing, only a few stalls two of them manage to get out of first their first try which is satisfying to watch as I had such a hard time learning. Anyways back to my point, when stalling the car will it cause more damage than normal wear by like just driving? I want to have my si last until I graduate college. Hah (4-5 years)
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Hey guys first post! I have a civic si 2018 at 8k miles and my friends wants to learn how to drive stick so they can buy their own. Some of them don't have parents who can teach them so I'm basically their only option and car haha. I don't mind having them learn in a parking lot just how to get out of first, when they do get their actual first manual car that's when I"ll teach them everything basically but for now just getting out of first and being able to drive.

I had a few of them try it out and surprisingly they did amazing, only a few stalls two of them manage to get out of first their first try which is satisfying to watch as I had such a hard time learning. Anyways back to my point, when stalling the car will it cause more damage than normal wear by like just driving? I want to have my si last until I graduate college. Hah (4-5 years)
Nah, I stalled my first stick about a thousand times and no problems. And it was a VW

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I know that older civics it’s probably not a big deal, but I feel like stalling this civic feels horrible.

DRuby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
Great problem and a quick solution.

Find a level parking lot without light pole bases.
Roll the windows down so the engine noise can be heard.
Keep the foot off the gas and just slowly release the clutch until fully engaged.
Drive around in first without gas pedal, disengage the clutch, stop and repeat the starting routine.
Repeat until the car moves off smoothly without any gas pedal.

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
This is one of the easiest manuals to drive so it should be easy

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
This is one of the easiest manuals to drive so it should be easy
It's true. My last 3 Hondas have all had super easy clutches to learn on with their super high engagement points.

dantwan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
It’s a violent jerk in this car. Damn thing throws you forward. Especially if you come to a stop still in 2nd or 3rd.
I always throw it in neutral and coast to a stop, a lot of people REEEEEEE at that because the engine runs more efficiently to a stop while it's in gear, but I don't care, I'll waste the fraction of a penny in gas at every stop to ensure it won't ever stall.

phornea

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Manual
Country flag
I always throw it in neutral and coast to a stop, a lot of people REEEEEEE at that because the engine runs more efficiently to a stop while it's in gear, but I don't care, I'll waste the fraction of a penny in gas at every stop to ensure it won't ever stall.
wtf?? been driving manual for 5yrs, 120k km driven, never ever take it out of gear unless i purposefully want to coast in neutral and NOT ONCE have I ever stalled it for having left it in gear. On the odd occasion I may have caused the engine to start rumbling because I was distracted by other passengers and forgot to push the clutch after a while of coasting in gear. But even then I didn't stall it because you have plenty of time to quickly push the clutch in as soon as you feel the rumble.

Saying I always coast in neutral to avoid stalling is really extreme, and first time I've heard that.
The benefits of leaving in gear outweigh not doing so. Aside from the pennies saved that you mentioned (which is true), you're also saving wear on breaks, you're also saving the transmission in case you need to accelerate again before stopping (don't need to re-engage it), but the most important factor of all, safety If you need to quickly accelerate, it's ready, and also wheels aren't rolling freely however they feel like, which means the car is more planted when engaged (this obviously doesn't matter so much in good conditions, but it does in slippery conditions like winter snow).

dantwan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
wtf?? been driving manual for 5yrs, 120k km driven, never ever take it out of gear unless i purposefully want to coast in neutral and NOT ONCE have I ever stalled it for having left it in gear. On the odd occasion I may have caused the engine to start rumbling because I was distracted by other passengers and forgot to push the clutch after a while of coasting in gear. But even then I didn't stall it because you have plenty of time to quickly push the clutch in as soon as you feel the rumble.

Saying I always coast in neutral to avoid stalling is really extreme, and first time I've heard that.
The benefits of leaving in gear outweigh not doing so. Aside from the pennies saved that you mentioned (which is true), you're also saving wear on breaks, you're also saving the transmission in case you need to accelerate again before stopping (don't need to re-engage it), but the most important factor of all, safety If you need to quickly accelerate, it's ready, and also wheels aren't rolling freely however they feel like, which means the car is more planted when engaged (this obviously doesn't matter so much in good conditions, but it does in slippery conditions like winter snow).
See what I mean? REEEEEEEEEE

Also, been driving manual for 14 years now, never had to replace a clutch, never had any problems doing this.

phornea

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Manual
Country flag
See what I mean? REEEEEEEEEE

Also, been driving manual for 14 years now, never had to replace a clutch, never had any problems doing this.
lol, well... ya.. but I did explain why I REEEEEEE'd

I didn't say popping into neutral will automatically cause extra wear on your transmission that will lead to premature failure, but I did outline the benefits of it. Especially for the last reason I mentioned. It's not just about saving gas.

I just googled "should I coast in neutral" and here's the very first link that shows up outlining what I said. Even goes as far as to say it's illegal in some places (that also seems a bit extreme though lol):
https://www.mercurynews.com/2014/05...-illegal-and-dumb-and-a-lot-of-drivers-do-it/

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Great problem and a quick solution.

Find a level parking lot without light pole bases.
Roll the windows down so the engine noise can be heard.
Keep the foot off the gas and just slowly release the clutch until fully engaged.
Drive around in first without gas pedal, disengage the clutch, stop and repeat the starting routine.
Repeat until the car moves off smoothly without any gas pedal.
Yep, this. Teach friends to drive stick without touching the gas. They should be able to get moving in first smoothly, then shift into second, all without ever touching the gas. The best advice I was ever given when learning stick - when in doubt use more clutch never more gas.

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Oh shoot I didn't even know that. What's the reasoning for this?

aethecarfanatic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
It’s a violent jerk in this car. Damn thing throws you forward. Especially if you come to a stop still in 2nd or 3rd.
Seriously, I feel like this car sounds/feels so much worse stalling than anything else I've driven.

First manual car and about two months in, went to a friends with a gated apartment complex a month or so ago and naturally the gate started closing as my car was approaching so I panic braked while in 2nd and I will never unhear that awful stalling sound. Only the second time I've ever stalled the car, but still.
Sponsored