Is the Honda Civic Type R the Greatest Hot Hatch? | Three Lap Review by Road & Track at NCM

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Honda has got to fix these overheating issues on the track because at this point it's getting to Alfa Romeo levels of embarrassing.

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
Honda has got to fix these overheating issues on the track because at this point it's getting to Alfa Romeo levels of embarrassing.
That was a fairly poor review at NCM. All I came away with is the new CTR is not like the old ITR, not much else.

It's interesting how some of the cars on track have a problem while others don't. I'm assuming what those guys were driving was a Honda press car, and I would think Honda would have found the issue by now. Also, how long ago did they do the review, we've not seen 90+ deg temps at NCM in a little while, maybe it was an early production model.

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have two track days with my CTR at Big Willow and Buttonwillow race tracks. Zero overheating issues.

Edit to add: This review seems to lack common sense, for example, complaining about having mid-range torque instead of "working for it" at higher rpm like the ITR. Really? lol o_O

fk8_#798

First Name
pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 civic is fully built engine and tranny supercharged e85 , 2017 civic touring 1.5t sedan., 2017 civic type r hatchback 2.0 turbocharged
I've also tracked my 2017 type r twice in Delaware @ dover down track and in new jersey, weather temp were in the 95-100 degrees., car number 798 with 7100 on the odo with zero over heating issues.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Country flag
What a mediocre "effort" they made here. Not one comment about the handling, the road feel, the braking - just endless moaning about the powerband changes relative to the ITR.

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
What confuses me is all the ITR comparisons. Why not compare it to the FK2 instead or even the other CTRs.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Over heating probably not . But I do notice less power in day time compare to 50 degrees at night .

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
What confuses me is all the ITR comparisons. Why not compare it to the FK2 instead or even the other CTRs.
Because it’s an American magazine and we never got the FK2. The only other performance Hondas in a somewhat similar price range made in the last 20 years are the ITR and S2000.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Yeah, seriously. A 15 year old car that shares nothing but the "Type R" name? How does that make sense?

It's kinda like you are dating a model with a Harvard MBA, but your mom is complaining constantly that your ex-girlfriend was a great cook. Yeah, okay mom, . . . . I see that you like the ex better, but let's not lose a perspective.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
You guys are missing the point. There have only been two Type Rs sold in North America. Why wouldn't you compare the two? The ITR was, deservedly so, an iconic performance vehicle. The Type R philosophy is a distillation of Honda's emphasis on lightness, handling, chassis tuning, and driver engagement all motivated by a free-revving flexible slick powertrain. The DC2 Integra Type R had that in spades. Does the new Civic Type R follow in its footsteps, lose its way, or forge a different path? Turbocharging, giant wheels, electric steering, a cable shifter, synthetic rev-matching, an extra 500 lbs are all compromises of the Civic being a modern sports car/sedan. While it might provide superior grip and speed, if you prefer rawness, tossability and purity, the CTR doesn't even come close.

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
You guys are missing the point. There have only been two Type Rs sold in North America. Why wouldn't you compare the two? The ITR was, deservedly so, an iconic performance vehicle. The Type R philosophy is a distillation of Honda's emphasis on lightness, handling, chassis tuning, and driver engagement all motivated by a free-revving flexible slick powertrain. The DC2 Integra Type R had that in spades. Does the new Civic Type R follow in its footsteps, lose its way, or forge a different path? Turbocharging, giant wheels, electric steering, a cable shifter, synthetic rev-matching, an extra 500 lbs are all compromises of the Civic being a modern sports car/sedan. While it might provide superior grip and speed, if you prefer rawness, tossability and purity, the CTR doesn't even come close.
I completely understand that, but can we really assume they've never driven an EK9 or FK2? As a car journalist, one would think they have resources to do so. The ITR was and still a great car. However, I don't think it should be compared to the FK8.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Why would it be a stretch to believe that they haven’t driven those cars? They’re not Consumer Reports, they don’t source their own cars. If Honda isn’t providing them a vehicle, I don’t expect the mag to fly writers to another continent to review a vehicle that their readers can’t buy. There’s not *that* much money in print or online media that they can be frivolous with their budgets.
Sponsored