Is the front pipe worth it?

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
So I already ordered the PRL catless downpipe + frontpipe combo. But now I'm wondering, is the frontpipe really necessary? Does it have any noticeable performance advantage versus just the downpipe on its own? My car also has the Cobra intake and I'll be installing the PRL intercooler as well (plus ktuner 23 basemap). So I figured the frontpipe is the last piece of the plumbing puzzle. I'm just not sure how much difference it really makes.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
Yeah clutch is up next. Just waiting to hear some reviews of the SPEC kit with steel flywheel.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Being as the stock front pipe is 2 3/8" (I think), and the PRL front pipe is 3", there is a definite benefit. After the resonator it is 2 1/2", so that is why you don't see much benefit in an aftermarket resonator back exhaust.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No-one knows! Been looking throughout the forums for this for a long while. Nothing concrete. Although this thread is some 7 months old or so, still worth commenting. I still have my stock front pipe and a PRL catless downpipe.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Imo, Honda has optimized the exhaust up to the downpipe. Unless you’re trying to substantially increase power and need the flow, I’d forget the front pipe. It’s the cat restriction that’s the bottle neck. No scientific evidence to back that up. Just my experience from driving Hondas.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does a DP really add that much power or is this exaggerated?
I can feel and of course hear the difference. You're not going to slip the clutch with a stage 1 tune even with dp and other bolt ons. You definitely will with stage 2 tune. The res back might make a big enough difference to actually feel, the dp definitely will, the front pipe won't register on the butt Dyno but if you got the money why not. I'd say if you do res back, go for it. If you keep stock exhaust don't even bother but I recommend everyone change the pos downpipe.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Does a DP really add that much power or is this exaggerated?
I think it’s far more exaggerated than I was expecting. There definitely is a power bump past 4k but nothing that is really eye opening in my opinion.

Now the power bump + drivability I got from stock to tsp stage 1 tune was a HUGE difference.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think it’s far more exaggerated than I was expecting. There definitely is a power bump past 4k but nothing that is really eye opening in my opinion.

Now the power bump + drivability I got from stock to tsp stage 1 tune was a HUGE difference.
I'd agree. The tune is number 1 thing to do. And the stage 2 is almost that much again. Even doing the entire exhaust won't net you much but everyone wants that sound. I just think you should go for the dp before the mufflers. Doing the res back first is kinda backwards.

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
I can feel and of course hear the difference. You're not going to slip the clutch with a stage 1 tune even with dp and other bolt ons. You definitely will with stage 2 tune. The res back might make a big enough difference to actually feel, the dp definitely will, the front pipe won't register on the butt Dyno but if you got the money why not. I'd say if you do res back, go for it. If you keep stock exhaust don't even bother but I recommend everyone change the pos downpipe.
I'm only TSP Stage 1 on Ktuner and my clutch is slipping....car is at 13,000 miles, bought new in November 18. I never did any digs, or hard one - two's....but I knew it was going to need a clutch and was pretty aggressive getting up to speed for freeway, and fun freeway pulls. But, like I said, I knew it was gonna happen, so clutch, ditching the cat, DP, FP, invidia R400 exhaust, PRL Cobra Race Maf CAI and then dyno tune will all be done at once. That was basically the plan anyhow. But, stage 1 tune and stock you can easily blow through that clutch, even without doing digs...I think I was tuned for about 6,000 miles.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm only TSP Stage 1 on Ktuner and my clutch is slipping....car is at 13,000 miles, bought new in November 18. I never did any digs, or hard one - two's....but I knew it was going to need a clutch and was pretty aggressive getting up to speed for freeway, and fun freeway pulls. But, like I said, I knew it was gonna happen, so clutch, ditching the cat, DP, FP, invidia R400 exhaust, PRL Cobra Race Maf CAI and then dyno tune will all be done at once. That was basically the plan anyhow. But, stage 1 tune and stock you can easily blow through that clutch, even without doing digs...I think I was tuned for about 6,000 miles.
Makes sense. And down the rabbit hole you go. I did tsp 1 at 3k and ran it till 5k when I went stage 2. The day I did stage 2 I was slipping in 5th and 6th with ease and ordered clutch and flywheel same day. I ain't the wife but if it makes you happy, go for it!:thumbsup:

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
Makes sense. And down the rabbit hole you go. I did tsp 1 at 3k and ran it till 5k when I went stage 2. The day I did stage 2 I was slipping in 5th and 6th with ease and ordered clutch and flywheel same day. I ain't the wife but if it makes you happy, go for it!:thumbsup:
I'm lucky....I don't answer to my woman. She makes her own money (who just dropped 2k on a 300 blackout today herself haha). Technically, the Civic Si is my daily since my CRX build spun out of control and while is still street, was just too much to daily (I daily drive 100 miles daily). So yup...hopefully with clutch, and all those other parts, sitting at around 300 hp will be an ok little commuter. Hopefully I don't dump too much fuel mileage...but who am I kidding....smiles per gallon...not miles. Here's a shot of my CRX rabbit hole

Honda Civic 10th gen Is the front pipe worth it? 20161009_164723

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm lucky....I don't answer to my woman. She makes her own money (who just dropped 2k on a 300 blackout today herself haha). Technically, the Civic Si is my daily since my CRX build spun out of control and while is still street, was just too much to daily (I daily drive 100 miles daily). So yup...hopefully with clutch, and all those other parts, sitting at around 300 hp will be an ok little commuter. Hopefully I don't dump too much fuel mileage...but who am I kidding....smiles per gallon...not miles. Here's a shot of my CRX rabbit hole
Gorgeous! And a wife that shoots to boot. I'm running all the bolt ons you listed and the car is holding up great. Especially with spec clutch and master cylinder. Loving it. I guess the only issue I have is I can't slam 4th or it will zap. I have to wait just over half second for revs to drop for 4th. And on e35- about 6 gal e85, 5 gal 91 I can still milk 40mpg but usually at 35mpg. Even when beating it I never see the tank average below 30. Couldn't ask for more.
Sponsored