Is the EX-T fun to drive?

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
I actually never have. This would be my first car and the people I know aren't really into driving roads like that. I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the recommendation!

Edit: Oh wait I do haha. I just know it as Hwy 152 haha. But I've never driven it myself, just gone through as a passenger.
Why are you not considering the ford fiesta st? it would seem to fit what you want a lot better. What is your budget?

Since I take it you are pretty young, before you go around hooning on back roads I would suggest doing something like:
http://nasacarcontrol.org/category/nasa-car-control-clinics/

car control isn't as intuitive as you may think and it's a lot easier to lose control of cars than people think.
Sponsored

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why are you not considering the ford fiesta st? it would seem to fit what you want a lot better. What is your budget?

Since I take it you are pretty young, before you go around hooning on back roads I would suggest doing something like:

car control isn't as intuitive as you may think and it's a lot easier to lose control of cars than people think.
Fiesta ST looks really small and interior room has to be cramped compared to a Civic.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
It is, and it isn't. The new Civic is Gianormous for a 'compact' car. Much bigger than it needs to be. Which suits me just fine. I'll occasionally need to carry people in the back. The Fiesta is smaller, but still has good room for the two front seat occupants.

I got stuck in one between the seat bolster and steering wheel though! :(

andy_kiawah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
This is actually the most solid comment in here so far, just getting straight to the point instead of being like the others just saying pretty much "well duh it's a civic", which I already know.

How much do wheels/tires like that cost? Problem here is I'm trying to budget things out more, and if a decent set of tires are going to cost 2000+ then at that point it's pretty much not even worth looking at the Civic as being a more economical cost.

Did you ever take it on twisty roads before swapping the tires, and if so how was it? It's not like I'm gonna be taking out a car full time just for joy rides, but I just want to know that the times I do it won't just be a boring ride, if that makes sense?

Thanks for the more complete, no nonsense answer!
Here's my short, no nonsense answer to your question: I love my Touring and love driving it. The comments about darting out into traffic from a slow speed are true, and it takes balls and timing. Other than that, the car is an absolute joy to drive, especially at highway speeds.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here's my short, no nonsense answer to your question: I love my Touring and love driving it. The comments about darting out into traffic from a slow speed are true, and it takes balls and timing. Other than that, the car is an absolute joy to drive, especially at highway speeds.
I would be more critical of it if that hesitation wasn't in MOST newer cars these days. Even our Vibe suffers from it.

OP
OP

spike021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None atm :(

I looked at it but the other thing is I don't plan to get a car with a MT. Like I'd said earlier I don't really need a true sports car, just something fun to drive.

Plus the Fiesta is a bit on the smaller side at that point and I wasn't sure if the engine with the AT would be as nice to use, since most people recommend the ST, which has EcoBoost IIRC and is only available with the MT.

Anyway I'm not _that_ young and not planning to go "hooning" on back roads, pretty sure you're getting the wrong idea.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've driven a couple of rental Fiestas. A base model, which was hideous, and an SES, which was stellar! Still not as good as Civic, though.

I try to see the CVT as just another automatic...

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
If you properly know and learn how your car and your ECU boosts at specific RPMS and whatnot, this car is a joy to drive. The sheer pleasure of cruising along the highway when few obnoxious truck or SUV drivers try to tailgate you, ONLY for you to boost your way and leave them behind is a joy like no other.

Drive the Touring though. Touring is an absolute angel to be in.

hybrid81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Wait for then 1.5t manual.

Take it from someone who came from a sporty car.

Tuners are already making the car way better to drive. A 6 speed, a tune, and a good set of tires will make this car a great daily driver.

I regret purchasing an automatic at least once a day, usually at some point during my commute..

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I bought this car to commute to and from work.
Wait for then 1.5t manual.

Take it from someone who came from a sporty car.

Tuners are already making the car way better to drive. A 6 speed, a tune, and a good set of tires will make this car a great daily driver.

I regret purchasing an automatic at least once a day, usually at some point during my commute..
Can't help but agree. I should have test drove the crz at the same time lol

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Curious if anyone has gone from a 9th gen Si to 10th gen Turbo+CVT? How's that transition been and how do the 2 cars compare?

My commute/driving situation has changed enough that the Si is just getting a bit old - its not outright sporty and becomes a chore in traffic, drones too much at higher highway speeds due to the gearing (you can bet any 1.5T+6MT or next Si will feature this too), so considering the Civic hatchback instead.
Get some good (quiet) tires and your droning will likely be gone. We've over 50k on our '12 Si and the only droning (below 90, not sure above 90 - too busy) is when the rear windows are partially or fully open.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
We've over 50k on our '12 Si and the only droning (below 90, not sure above 90 - too busy) is when the rear windows are partially or fully open.
Not tire noise - engine droning due to the higher revs at highway speeds - even at 80 its plenty noticeable.

OP
OP

spike021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None atm :(
Why would you ask a question like that? It makes no sense to me. Everyone has different opinions. It's a civic!
Did you really have to bump my thread up just to say that when it's full of interesting opinions about it that are already 1000% more helpful than whatever the heck you just wrote?

gr8 thx.
Sponsored