Is the 10 Generation Si faster than previous generations

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
The 2006 XLE V6 has the 3.0L V6 engine, 190 HP. This is the SE, which has the 3.3L engine. This was the biggest Camry engine at the time. I can't speak for the latest gen Camry nor can I speak for Car and Driver, I can only speak for the one I own
Ah, good to know - I didn't realize the SE had a different engine back in those days. That does make them a more interesting sight on the road.
Sponsored

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Ah, good to know - I didn't realize the SE had a different engine back in those days. That does make them a more interesting sight on the road.
Now I have to say that although they gave it stiffer suspension, it doesn't handle very well, and has a lot of torque steer due to being front wheel drive, so on a curvy road the Si will dominate it every time

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Now I have to say that although they gave it stiffer suspension, it doesn't handle very well, and has a lot of torque steer due to being front wheel drive, so on a curvy road the Si will dominate it every time
For sure. It's still somewhat of the same story with all of the Camry successors from then on, except for the latest one where they seem to have sorted out the handling. Still, it will not hang with the Si.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
If the current SI is so much powerful. Explain this.
Enjoy the beautiful sound of a screaming K20Z3.

Lol once you throw in mods everything becomes irrelevant. Stock for stock the 10th gen walks everyother gen Si easily as seen in the video I've posted, heck id put my money on an EXT over the previous gen Si.

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
If the current SI is so much powerful. Explain this.
Enjoy the beautiful sound of a screaming K20Z3.

That’s because the 2017 Si in the video haven’t been reprogramed for the oil dilution problem. J/k

Almostfast

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Sport Touring
Country flag
as someone who hasn't owned or driven EITHER Si.

The 9th gens were getting their a$$es dragged in both the videos. There was no point where the 9th's were "pulling" or "catching up" The only way those results were from bad drivers would be if the 9th gen drivers couldn't reach their foot to the floor all the way.

The power difference is immediately apparent. You could put someone who sucks at shifting in the 10th and it would beat the 9th from sheer power.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My first car was a ‘91 integra gs and god did I love that high redline. This was in ‘93. Several v6 accords later, Came back in ‘09 to a new Si and another new Si in ‘12. The ‘12 Si was a turd.

Anyway, the 10th most definitely feels faster to me and oh what’s that!?! A little torque pushing you back!?!

I remember my daughters making varoom noises every time I got on the highway (only time I ever ran through the gears w them in the car) and they never thought my car was fast but did make a lot of noise. lol

My 15 yr old is learning to drive in the 10th and for the first time she thinks the car is fast...lol. In reality it seems to me the last 3 generations are within .5 secs of each on 0-60 and 1/4 mile. God I miss those high Erving engine and the vtec crossover but the 10th handles like crazy and is so much easier to drive around town. And no more making all that noise you can hear a mike away to have any power.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Lol once you throw in mods everything becomes irrelevant. Stock for stock the 10th gen walks everyother gen Si easily as seen in the video I've posted, heck id put my money on an EXT over the previous gen Si.
Powerwise the 10thSI should have more WHP/WTQ than the 8th.
With the mods of the 8th the most it can have is low 200whp.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I see a lot of videos comparing FBO 9th Gen Si's versus Stock or CAI 10th Gen Si's. Yeah, a FBO 9th Gen can walk a stock 10th Gen. But stock vs stock, the 10th wins as long as the driver is competent. FBO 10th Gen vs FBO 9th Gen is another story. They could be close, but then it comes down to the 9th Gen's FBO parts costing way more than the 10th Gen.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
IDK but as I said a couple of times.

At least 10th vs 8th.
Both share similar quartermile records and trap speed. Stock and FBO and tuned.

Low 15s stock
High 13s to low 14s FBO and tuned

I don't see the acceleration superiority that many claim the 10th has over the old generations.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
IDK but as I said a couple of times.

At least 10th vs 8th.
Both share similar quartermile records and trap speed. Stock and FBO and tuned.

Low 15s stock
High 13s to low 14s FBO and tuned

I don't see the acceleration superiority that many claim the 10th has over the old generations.
I have not seen any 10th gen Si VS 8th gen, but I have seen plenty of 10th gen VS 9th gen, and in most cases I see the 9th gen get left way, way way behind where it is not even a competition. I'm talking stock vs stock

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have not seen any 10th gen Si VS 8th gen, but I have seen plenty of 10th gen VS 9th gen, and in most cases I see the 9th gen get left way, way way behind where it is not even a competition. I'm talking stock vs stock
The 9th was a mistake plain and simple.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can't speak on that because this is my first Honda I have ever owned and I have never driven any other Civic (although I have driven an Accord)

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
At this moment, all the car magazines were complaining about the lack of torque of the 8th gen SI. This generation was always finishing close to last in the comparos.
The answer from honda was to increase the engine size to get more low end torque. It ended up been a so so decision since the 9th gen did not receive better review and success

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
At this moment, all the car magazines were complaining about the lack of torque of the 8th gen SI. This generation was always finishing close to last in the comparos.
The answer from honda was to increase the engine size to get more low end torque. It ended up been a so so decision since the 9th gen did not receive better review and success
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, my understanding is there is only so much power and torque you can wring out of a 2.0 or 2.5L 4 NA engine without sacrificing reliability, efficiency and affordability. The Honda S2000 is probably as close as you can get, but it started out at $32K and got about 18 MPG. Plus you had to rev the spit out of it to wring the 240 hp out. To keep the Si affordable and increase the performance and efficiency they had to move to forced induction. The 8th and 9th gen had probably reached their peak in their current configuration/price range
Sponsored