Is the 10 Generation Si faster than previous generations

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
I was driving around 70, so my RPM's were at maybe 2700, when I went into 5th gear it was well above 3000
That's more than adequate. The most important thing when doing a pull is being in the right rpm, regardless of gear so as not to stress the clutch or lug the engine.
Sponsored

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I love using 4th gear on the highway. Its a great passing gear when your already doing more than 70mph.

You would probably give that Ram a run for its money in any situation.
The thing is, 99.9 percent of the time I don't need to go past half throttle to pass in 6th gear if I am going 70 mph...

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The thing is, 99.9 percent of the time I don't need to go past half throttle to pass in 6th gear if I am going 70 mph...
Half throttle is probably close to full throttle in that gear. Your not going to go any faster using more than half throttle.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
what i miss most about vtec is the screaming induction noise.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
I love NA engines, but they just can't match up when boost is added in the equation
I differ.
When I had the 8th SI. I encounter a First Gen MazdaSpeed 3 unknown mods maybe none. We did like 4 runs. All of them I walked away.
During that time my car had RDX Injectors (not really a power adder), Ported Intake Manifold, Skunk 2 Race Header, Skunk CAI, Invidia 2.75in Exhaust, Hondata plastic gasket, Acura ZDX Throttle Body and my own custom tuning touch with FlashPro.

Im not a pro shifting. People had made high 13's over 100mph on this same setup. I did 14.2 @ 98MPH. Even modded with my mods my SI was less powerful that a stock MS3 2.3T engine.

The nature of this car power band is that feels like a regular car 2.0lt below 4K rpms (mine was activating around 4.5rpm). Once the high cam engages most of the torque will remain literally flat up to redline. Feeling peppy up to 8,600rpm. Current sport compact turbo cars feel laggy after 5K rpms and the current SI isn't an exception. Their torque go downhill right after 5Krpm.

I enjoy turbo more because you don't have to boil the engine to move. But N/A has many advantages like reliability and quick gas pedal response.
Looking at the CivicX SI 1/4 miles time I see a similar quarter mile numbers as FBO N/A SI that were in the high 13's to low 14's.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I differ.
When I had the 8th SI. I encounter a First Gen MazdaSpeed 3 unknown mods maybe none. We did like 4 runs. All of them I walked away.
During that time my car had RDX Injectors (not really a power adder), Ported Intake Manifold, Skunk 2 Race Header, Skunk CAI, Invidia 2.75in Exhaust, Hondata plastic gasket, Acura ZDX Throttle Body and my own custom tuning touch with FlashPro.

Im not a pro shifting. People had made high 13's over 100mph on this same setup. I did 14.2 @ 98MPH. Even modded with my mods my SI was less powerful that a stock MS3 2.3T engine.

The nature of this car power band is that feels like a regular car 2.0lt below 4K rpms (mine was activating around 4.5rpm). Once the high cam engages most of the torque will remain literally flat up to redline. Feeling peppy up to 8,600rpm. Current sport compact turbo cars feel laggy after 5K rpms and the current SI isn't an exception. Their torque go downhill right after 5Krpm.

I enjoy turbo more because you don't have to boil the engine to move. But N/A has many advantages like reliability and quick gas pedal response.
Looking at the CivicX SI 1/4 miles time I see a similar quarter mile numbers as FBO N/A SI that were in the high 13's to low 14's.
I agree with you that after 5000 rpm the 10 gen Si loses steam...but once you upshift you are back in the powerband again. My friends Toyota 86 which has similar hp and revs to 7,500 rpm only had a slight advantage off the line, but once boost kicks in all bets are off. By the time he is at redline, I am already in third about to hit 4th

Now if I were to go against my 2006 Camry SE that has a 3.3 L NA V6, (which only has 5 more hp), that is a different story. The Camry's V6 has the advantage as it's powerband is much wider, so 0-60 I have been able to hit in 5.5 seconds, while the best 0 to 60 I have gotten from my Si is 6.4 seconds. That being said at cruising speed the Si has a bit of an advantage as the Camry's engine is limited by the automatic transmission having to downshift. But in the end, the Camry has a bigger, less efficient engine giving me 23 mpg while on it's worst day the Si gives me an average of 31 mpg

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
I agree with you that after 5000 rpm the 10 gen Si loses steam...but once you upshift you are back in the powerband again. My friends Toyota 86 which has similar hp and revs to 7,500 rpm only had a slight advantage off the line, but once boost kicks in all bets are off. By the time he is at redline, I am already in third about to hit 4th

Now if I were to go against my 2006 Camry SE that has a 3.3 L NA V6, (which only has 5 more hp), that is a different story. The Camry's V6 has the advantage as it's powerband is much wider, so 0-60 I have been able to hit in 5.5 seconds, while the best 0 to 60 I have gotten from my Si is 6.4 seconds. That being said at cruising speed the Si has a bit of an advantage as the Camry's engine is limited by the automatic transmission having to downshift. But in the end, the Camry has a bigger, less efficient engine giving me 23 mpg while on it's worst day the Si gives me an average of 31 mpg
Not sure how you measured but a 2006 Camry V6 is 3.0lt with only 210hp. Is impossible that it can touch 5s 0-60. The car is in the 7s league. A 10th SI should walk away without problem on any type of acceleration race. Dig or roll.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not sure how you measured but a 2006 Camry V6 is 3.0lt with only 210hp. Is impossible that it can touch 5s 0-60. The car is in the 7s league. A 10th SI should walk away without problem on any type of acceleration race. Dig or roll.
It's the 3.3L V6, not 3.0 and has 220 lb-ft torque. Measured it with a stopwatch app on my phone. Don't let "It's a Camry" fool you. The 3.3L engine in my opinion was Toyota's best engine, the same one they put in the Sienna. Many people with much more expensive sportier cars thought the same thing until all they saw was my tail lights. Off the line it has no problem taking the Si. I own both, and love both so I know what both cars can do

Honda Civic 10th gen Is the 10 Generation Si faster than previous generations My Cars.JPG

Last edited:

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
It's the 3.3L V6, not 3.0 and has 220 lb-ft torque. Measured it with a stopwatch app on my phone. Don't let "It's a Camry" fool you. The 3.3L engine in my opinion was Toyota's best engine, the same one they put in the Sienna. Many people with much more expensive sportier cars thought the same thing. Off the line it has no problem taking the Si

My Cars.JPG
Hrmmmm. Car and Driver quotes 7.6 to 60 for a 2006 Camry V6 XLE. I remember when the next gen Camry came out, people were shocked because that gen could hit 60 in 5.8 or so.

I have trouble believing it is 5.5 to 60 but do agree it is a good car from an engineering and reliability standpoint.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hrmmmm. Car and Driver quotes 7.6 to 60 for a 2006 Camry V6 XLE. I remember when the next gen Camry came out, people were shocked because that gen could hit 60 in 5.8 or so.

I have trouble believing it is 5.5 to 60 but do agree it is a good car from an engineering and reliability standpoint.
The 2006 XLE V6 has the 3.0L V6 engine, 190 HP. This is the SE, which has the 3.3L engine. This was the biggest Camry engine at the time. Also this model was made in Japan, all new gen Toyotas are now made in America. I can't speak for the latest gen Camry nor can I speak for Car and Driver, I can only speak for the one I own
Sponsored