Is something bad going to happen if I drive the car back in the cold?

S2KGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
So I'm going to pickup my CTR soon and have to drive it back across the country (east to west). I'm kind of worried about the stock tires on the trip since the temperatures will be around 25 degrees at night in some places and no more than around 40 degrees during the day for pretty much the whole trip (28+ hours). I saw where it's not recommended to even use the tires if they get down below 20 degrees. What do you guys think about this trip?

I could also go a more southern route which would avoid the 25 degree overnight temperatures for the most part but would still be in the 30s-40s during a lot of the trip... and that would add 5+ hours to the trip.
Sponsored

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
I'm not sure if the CTR comes with summer or all season tires, but if it's all seasons then you should be okay no problem. Otherwise if they're summers, then if it was me and there wasn't going to be any snow on the route, then I would just take it real easy and drive it as is. Otherwise I would get all seasons put on or have it towed, since the cost might be pretty close anyways.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
I drove the middle route (I-80) during end of March where overnight temps would drop into the 30s in the Midwest. I also drove through the Rockies in 22F temps. I did fine.

destoups

First Name
Des
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Country flag
Curious, have you weighed cost of shipping against the fly and drive? (For me it's about $1500 to ship enclosed from East Coast, fly and drive back would be about $900 — but I probably would want to drop-ship some mounted all seasons or snows before attempting that mid-winter.)

Agree you'll be fine if cautious and the roads are dry. I would not want to drive those tires in slush or snow for sure.

Last edited:

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Just be careful, the ultra performance summer tires that come stock turn rock hard in the cold. The manual advises that temperatures below 45F will impact traction.

Hell, have a set of winter tires/wheels shipped to the dealer if you plan on buying some any ways.

TheShadow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 Type R #00561, 2012 Civic Si, 2000 Civic CX Hatchback
Country flag
The stock tires are summer tires. They lose grip below 40 degrees or so. It helps some if you are driving long distances and the rubber has a chance to warm up. The main risks you run are loss of traction and slightly higher tire wear. Just don't drive very aggressively and you should be alright.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
You will be fine, just be careful with potholes. Since you’re going from east to west,: your chance decreases to see snow in the road, but if you do, that is the only one variable I can see would put an issue in your trip. There are documented road trips of people buying & driving cars with summer tires across the country, The tires will get up to once they get rollin’. Roll the dice..

If you take option B & set the car on all season, just make sure at the dealership the have the proper machine to unmount without scratch.

OP
OP

S2KGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The main thing that worries me is that temperatures will be right around 20 degrees through Colorado with chances of snow. The manual actually says you shouldn't move the car or even add air at or below 20 degrees due to the potential of the sidewalls cracking.

OP
OP

S2KGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, I actually already ordered the winter tires and wheels and am having those shipped to my house because this weekend is the only chance I'll have to get the car and I couldn't get the tires and wheels delivered to the dealer that quickly.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Hmm...try ordering a spare tire kit and have them sent to your dealer ahead of time. Try to drive only during the day time while there is a Sun to help and easier to call for help if you do get stranded. Make the trip a bit longer, but at least you will be safer and enjoy the car and road on your way back - Congrat!!

ems657

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru STi, 2012 Infiniti G37 (sold)
Country flag
To OP,

Here is my experience. I had a 2018 Subaru Sti with stock summer tires. I live in seattle. Last winter, I wracked the car at a downhill right in front of my house due to very light snow. I was going less than 10 mph. The tires had zero grip in cold. The damage totalled to 22 grand.

Back to your situation, your upside is a saving of a few hundred bucks. But the downside could be the entire car plus you.

Please take my sincere advise, and have it shipped. Safety first brother.

Michael

Hmm...try ordering a spare tire kit and have them sent to your dealer ahead of time. Try to drive only during the day time while there is a Sun to help and easier to call for help if you do get stranded. Make the trip a bit longer, but at least you will be safer and enjoy the car and road on your way back - Congrat!!

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
+1 - Safety first!!

To OP,

Here is my experience. I had a 2018 Subaru Sti with stock summer tires. I live in seattle. Last winter, I wracked the car at a downhill right in front of my house due to very light snow. I was going less than 10 mph. The tires had zero grip in cold. The damage totalled to 22 grand.

Back to your situation, your upside is a saving of a few hundred bucks. But the downside could be the entire car plus you.

Please take my sincere advise, and have it shipped. Safety first brother.

Michael

thavens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hond Accord Sedan
Country flag
I used my stock tires all winter in Indiana last year. I didn't have one issue and it got well below 20 degrees as far as damage to the tires. You will definitely loose some traction when its cold.
Sponsored