Is rust under valve cover still an issue with later CTRs ?

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Was this ever officially designated as a TSB and corrected by Honda? If not, is this really a concern? And if it is, any practical way to address this issue?
Sponsored

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Never heard of this issue for the CTR and I've been following the community for years.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Haven't had it on my '19 that spends a lot of time in touchless car washes and even outside in the summer.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Never heard of this issue for the CTR and I've been following the community for years.
It was a thing a while back. Guys getting cylinder misfires and finding the #4 spark plug hole filled with water and rust.

Over9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Country flag
I would be interested in knowing this as well. I'll be getting my 21 CTR in march and will be parked on the driveway because I don't have a garage. It's going to see a lot of rain.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Well, i can that water does get into the engine bay area, especially around cylinder 1 area, becoz i see big pool of water after touchless car wash. So, that could definitely cause the problems over time. I tried plugging all the holes under the hood and even the scoop, but to no avail. Now, i place a piece of foil board to cover the engine when going thru the wash, and it works!! i dont think rain would in though but i rarely drive it the rainy days so not sure.

hope this helps

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
It was my daily and lots of rain/snow and no issues at 50k miles on my 19. Was garage kept tho.

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
My 2018 with 12,xxx is currently at the dealership for this issue. Garage kept in the winter but parked outdoors for the other 3 seasons.

No tunes or any engine mods.

Depending on how Honda handles my situation, determines whether I'm keeping the car or moving on.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
It was a thing a while back. Guys getting cylinder misfires and finding the #4 spark plug hole filled with water and rust.
Sounds like some OCD guy getting a high pressure power washer and going ham on his engine bay to me.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Sounds like some OCD guy getting a high pressure power washer and going ham on his engine bay to me.
Very possible. Between the engine cover and the seals on the coil packs I can't see how it could happen.

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
Never washed my engine bay. Didn't even clean it once.

Edit: I will add that my driveway slopes down and I always reverse into my driveway. So my car is parked at an uphill angle.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I lifted the cosmetic lid on my engine last week and saw no evidence of moisture having moved any of the dust lying atop the coil/plug bodies or around them.
Mine isoutdoors 24/7. And it's parked on a slope up-hill. I park forward so my opening is slanted back.
I do see cracks where one could get water past the little air channel aluminum if one tried or during a hurricane sized rainstorm.
Sponsored